GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Suzuki Katana 1000
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a new member of the forum with a 2020 Katana.
Really happy with the performance for the dollar it provides!

However, the handlebar is more commuter oriented and forces the rider's bum onto the passenger seat during aggressive riding.
It would've been great if the bars are a couple of inches forward and lower for my taste.

I've already searched the forum and found posts where people had some success with Driven SBK bars and a few other examples on GSXS.
I am guessing the same might work for a Katana but it could be tight as the tank shroud and front cowling design has even less clearance than GSXS1000

Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Toy
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Light Fuel tank Motorcycle

So, I looked around for aftermarket clip-on options and found these:

1. Rizoma: https://www.rizoma.com/en/ma055.html?moto=12772
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motorcycle

2. Sato racing: SATO RACING | Handle Bars - Suzuki Katana ('19- )
Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire

3. S2-concept : https://www.s2-concept.com/en/19313-suzuki-katana-2018-21-handlebar.html
Bicycle handlebar Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle

4. Over racing: OVER RACING : Sports Riding Handlebar Kit [55-56-11B]
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

5. Agras : AGRAS : Clip On Handlebar Kit [321-309-000]
Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motorcycle

Products below are much lower and hence require new tank shrouds

6. Yoshimura: YOSHIMURA : Handle Kit + Fuel Tank Cowl + Upper Cowl (3 Pieces Set) [510-199B3102]
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle

7. Westpower : KATANA(19-21) セパレートハンドルBkit | WestPower OnlineShop
Motorcycle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

The options that require new tank shrouds are very expensive.
Surprised to see the other options almost 3x expensive as a regular fatbar.
I am leaning towards getting the Rizoma clip-on.

Now, Does any one in the forum have experience with any of these products?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,439 Posts
Sorry no experience with clip-ons but surprised at the choices available.
Might be an idea to try the standard gsx-s1000 bars, surely there will be some on Ebay somewhere.

Reactions: Geoff C

·
Registered
147 Posts
I took my bike to the shop and they let me hold new bars up against it to see what worked best for me. You can't fit them without buying but you can get a good idea. There are many bars with fit the bike, all with a different shape. I would definitely take this approach again. If none work then you can explore your options above. It may only cost your time.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Mate I wouldn't get gsxs stock bars I'm still running stock on my bike and I don't like them.
They have this dumb up sweep on the ends like dirt bike bars but yes you can roll them towards the rider but it doesn't feel right for me at 5'6"
Anyhow the kat should have clip on just like the old model I was surprised when suzuki put fat bars on the bike I was thinking at the time that it just doesn't look right.
Anyhow let us know the outcome 👍🏼

·
Registered
2016 f
701 Posts
I fitted driven meteor bars for same reason, they are approx 20mm lower, but are more straight across without that awkward upturn, id previously tried rolling the stock bars forward / back to try finding a comfy position, i much prefer the meteors, i did drill the ends to fit stock bar ends im 5ft 6" also

·
Registered
2020 Suzuki Katana 1000
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mate I wouldn't get gsxs stock bars I'm still running stock on my bike and I don't like them.
They have this dumb up sweep on the ends like dirt bike bars but yes you can roll them towards the rider but it doesn't feel right for me at 5'6"
Anyhow the kat should have clip on just like the old model I was surprised when suzuki put fat bars on the bike I was thinking at the time that it just doesn't look right.
Anyhow let us know the outcome 👍🏼
I agree. Suzuki should've fit clip-ons like the original.
I ordered Rizoma clipons from here as they are on a discount: RIZOMA HANDLEBAR PAIR FOR SUZUKI KATANA 1000 2019/2020

Will update with pictures once I receive and install them

·
Registered
2020 Suzuki Katana 1000
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have received Rizoma clipons from motomaniashop.
Thanks to their quick shipping and great price!
Rectangle Tool Musical instrument accessory Font Composite material

Installation was straight forward. I drilled a hole on the clutch side and didn't bother on the throttle side.
No clearance issues at all lock to lock.

At first glance these clip-ons are about a couple of inches forward and maybe 1.5 inch lower compared to stock fatbar.
But trust me, the riding position is much improved for spirited riding!
No more bum on the passenger seat.
Plant Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motorcycle

The bike is now very easy in side to side transitions and falls into corners naturally.
Especially it's a lot easier to steer the bike without hanging off.
The width of the bars haven't changed much so you don't loose much leverage.

The front-end grip feel has improved so much with the crouched position that I had to add a bit of preload in front.
The clip-on position seems much more natural for having a feel of front to back suspension balance.

I wanted something even lower while shopping but now the back pain after a few rides reset my expectations.
I am sure i will develop the required muscles in due course.
For you sport tourers and leisure riders, this is not a good product.

These clip-ons won't make the riding position quite like a GSXR but gets you ~75% feel retaining a reasonable comfort character of this platform.
Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Wheel

I've installed this along with FXCNC steering damper (GSX-S1000 model) and Kemi moto rear-sets.
Pleasantly surprised with the quality of the components from Aliexpress and happy that they fit very well despite being designed for GSX-S1000.
I am happy that the steering damper can be used to mount my GoPro and Mobile as well.
No more head shake during on-ramp pulls! This is a must if you are a track rider.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts