GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I split lanes to work so the bike spends a lot of time at around 30mph. I usually use 3rd gear but the motor runs a bit rough and jumpy at this speed/rpm. 2nd gear smooths it out a bit but still jumpy.

Does anyone know if the DynoJet PowerCommander 5 smooths out the bike at low speed / low RPM?

Theres also an install video for the PC5 and it didnt seem to increase horsepower on the dyno (142hp). But I did find articles where the PC increased power, smoothness and even the bikes sound gets better

Feedback please....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Why does everybody ride around in low gears ? The engine is very torque and will pull sixth no trouble at 30mph. Further more you will improve on your mpg and the snatchy throttle will be less apparent. 5th ear would probe kinder on the big ends?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try upshifting from 3rd to 4th thru 6th...but I truly think the issue is within the fuel delivery (and I do have the Yoshimura slip on)....reason I say this is if I pull in my clutch and just barely give the engine some throttle then the motor does not run smoothly until you open the throttle further.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you ride using advanced riding techniques, you should be in the spot just below the power band ready for fast overtakes and immediate engine breaking so probably around 5-6000 rpm, at these revs i have no throtle response problems, but there again I dont have many problems now after 2000 miles

·
Registered
71 Posts
Since you can do about 80mph, according to the admittedly optimistic speedometer, why not 1st gear? I would also do the WOT reset procedure, after making sure the TPS is set optimally. The WOT reset made a very noticeable improvement on the throttle behavior on my '16. It was very unmanageable before that. I also suspect the throttle bodies should be balanced after a few thousand miles, particularly for low speed throttle control. I would do the TPS, WOT and TB balance in that order, should have some positive effect and you will know you have a good baseline for your setup.

JT

·
Registered
900 Posts
Since you can do about 80mph, according to the admittedly optimistic speedometer, why not 1st gear? I would also do the WOT reset procedure, after making sure the TPS is set optimally. The WOT reset made a very noticeable improvement on the throttle behavior on my '16. It was very unmanageable before that. I also suspect the throttle bodies should be balanced after a few thousand miles, particularly for low speed throttle control. I would do the TPS, WOT and TB balance in that order, should have some positive effect and you will know you have a good baseline for your setup.

JT
Thread is 5 years old :rolleyes: i'd be surprised if he still has the gsx-s. Good information though (y)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jump the plug under the seat to put the bike in diagnostic mode.
Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine.
Twist the throttle to wide open and turn off the ignition with the throttle wide open, release throttle with ignition off.
Repeat at least 3 times.
Remove the jumper and test ride.
I did this after setting my TPS using the on screen adjustment available on my 2016. This WOT reset made the biggest difference of anything I tried to date for improved throttle response. It went from, "**** this thing is trying to kill me" to manageable, just ultra responsive and a quick on of at low speed can still upset it, although still not as bad as initially. I also found that adjusting the throttle lash to minimum helped some. WOT reset was the best result bar none though.

All credit to Old Bob whose post I found this procedure in. 😁

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'll try upshifting from 3rd to 4th thru 6th...but I truly think the issue is within the fuel delivery (and I do have the Yoshimura slip on)....reason I say this is if I pull in my clutch and just barely give the engine some throttle then the motor does not run smoothly until you open the throttle further.
Try a boosterplug, it sorted my 2016 GSXS1000FA out of that juddering

·
Registered
24 Posts
Jump the plug under the seat to put the bike in diagnostic mode.
Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine.
Twist the throttle to wide open and turn off the ignition with the throttle wide open, release throttle with ignition off.
Repeat at least 3 times.
Remove the jumper and test ride.
I did this after setting my TPS using the on screen adjustment available on my 2016. This WOT reset made the biggest difference of anything I tried to date for improved throttle response. It went from, "**** this thing is trying to kill me" to manageable, just ultra responsive and a quick on of at low speed can still upset it, although still not as bad as initially. I also found that adjusting the throttle lash to minimum helped some. WOT reset was the best result bar none though.

All credit to Old Bob whose post I found this procedure in. 😁
Did this tonight. Thanks @Old Bob !!!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts