GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I trawled through all the forums, etc trying to figure out these issues, and either I was the only one having them, or the solutions were so simple that people just fixed them without even thinking about them! So I thought I'd just put them out there in case anyone was having the same issues, and was too sheepish to ask the questions (like I was).

1) Starting in neutral only:
I was wondering why I couldn't start the bike in a gear (as I have been able to do with all my other bikes). All the promotional material highlighted the fact that this bike "can be started in neutral without holding the clutch" which is fantastic, and for a while is what I thought was the ONLY way to start the bike! After my 1k service, it turns out that somehow the plug from my clutch switch was not making proper contact, and so was not allowing me to start in gear! Just in case anyone has the same issue, please look at your clutch switch cable to make sure it's seated well.

2) No hazard lights on the Australian model
No biggie, but had to use the lights to indicate a hazard (accident) on the highway in front of me when I stopped to render assistance, and couldn't bloody find a switch for it! I have looked on the website and all the "overseas models" seem to have a slider switch above the starter button, but mine has a lovely rectangular space with nothing on it! I brought this up with the dealer at my 1k service and got the reply "that's cos the bike is so awesome, it never breaks down!" :rolleyes: Like I said, no biggie, but I just thought it was required to comply with safety standards here in Aus!

·
Registered
57 Posts
No hazards on the Kiwi model either. I would LOVE hazards for when I am filtering, instead I have to flick the high beams on.

I also ran into the clutch switch issue today - in my case I wondered why it was not idling down - if you hold the clutch fully in when in gear it idles normally but if you slowly release it the engine idles up to about 1500, mine was stuck on fast idle. Sure enough, wires had fallen out of the back of the clutch switch. Seems a terrible design to me - no way to lock the wires in place.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,886 Posts
Seems a terrible design to me - no way to lock the wires in place.
I shrink wrapped mine (not very well) for cosmetic reasons, but they are a bit more secure.

Reactions: tonyt

·
Registered
204 Posts
I shrink wrapped mine (not very well) for cosmetic reasons, but they are a bit more secure.
when i picked my bike up i saw those wires and figured yep going have to do something about those so i also shrink wrapped them they look neater and will not get disconnected :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
No hazards on the Kiwi model either. I would LOVE hazards for when I am filtering, instead I have to flick the high beams on.

I find having hazard, apart from its original intended purpose, is such an advantage on a bike when you passing cars at high speed, especially on long distance runs, and they just move over slightly to let you pass. Its just so much easier to just put on the hazard periodically instead of having to take your hand off the bars to give acknowledgement, which just interferes with your smooth riding rhythm and can be less safe (at high speed when your hand can sometimes just be pulled back by the shear wind force). Can't really use beams cause the car would be behind you now after passing it. On my F its there, but on the right hand side between the kill switch and starter button, which is slightly difficult to engage and disengage it your hand on the accelerator without interfering if smooth application of the throttle. Always surprises me if people that design these things ever think or know about these things.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,886 Posts
@WMus26. In LH drive Europe I noticed that riders acknowledged cars and other riders by raising their right leg a little off the footrest after overtaking.
Or were they just getting rid of the cramp.;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
when i moved to norway i noticed they wave where is in Uk they nod. I believe this is because Norway drives on the other side of the road hence the non throttle hand is facing the other rider and free to wave. Took me a while to stop nodding and start waving. On the other hand the rule of never wave or nod to a moped rider is shared. Only difference its less easy to disguise an accidental wave than a accidental nod :) (come on you have all done it)

On a side note it is funny to wave at mopeds as they are not used to it and freek out wondering what they have done wrong :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
@WMus26 . In LH drive Europe I noticed that riders acknowledged cars and other riders by raising their right leg a little off the footrest after overtaking.
Or were they just getting rid of the cramp.;)

On this side of the Equator (RH drive), you would use your right foot to indicate something hazardous on the road to bikers following behind you, especially on group runs. Had an incident a few weeks ago when at a stage I was riding third in a group of 6; and starting with the front rider we all in an almost synchronized manner one after the other stuck out our right leg together with a minor avoiding manoeuvre to indicate a small dead animal on the road to the rider behind. I think it could have been beautiful to see from the side of the road.:) Weirdly, sticking my leg out like that on that occasion actually gave me a cramp that lasted for a few minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts