GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clearly the GSX engine will blow the 919's away but can anyone compare the handling? I really like how my 919 handles like it has a very low cog, something that's pretty much gone away with mass centralization. Anyone here ever have a 919 or have anything to say about how the GSXS carries it's weight?

Yon can only tell so much on a 10 min city test ride.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hi All,
The Honda CB919 Hornet ? That is a very old bike today and doesn't compare with the GSXS except both have black tyre's.
I had forgotten how old that series till I had a peek into my picture files of my old rides. Mine was 2005, with those CB919 series bikes being released several years earlier.
Here is my bike. It was the 2005 variant with fork preload adjusters with a 2004 body colour (swapped the clothes with an 2004 stock as the 2005 had pale blue flat paintwork).
That bike proved that flat gray paint makes speed much slower than red, especially red & black. Lesson learnt there.

I ran it for a year, so I can report that from new it was never ever a Fireblade. More like a dull ember nearly extinguished.
Power was very much withheld by Honda and very affected by bolt on emissions. The best engine mod was removing the action of the air box flapper valve. This is real easy, just plug the vacuum hose at the actuator and from 0 to about 3 rd gear acceleration increased by roughly a third. It feels really asthmatic as stock at least in Australian delivery.

The suspension was pretty bad. The rear end would pogo over rises in the road, as there was no rebound control in the cheap OEM shock. The best part of the bike was saying goodbye, I am sorry.
The best part is the side view of the engine casings - the stylist got that right. Also the OEM add on screen was useless too, but looked the part.

Rob.

My 2005 CB919F below:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
owned a 919....S rides and handles much better,,,something about the 919 always felt like i was sitting on my nuts...s i can ride all day long.......919 was a here to there bike...quick coffee run and go home

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
i had 2 stock fly screens......very very hard to find they said....and again they where noisy as hxll....some reason race dcreen on the S quiet and it works

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. 919 comparison aside, do you feel like the GSXS has a low COG? The Speed Tripe for example has a rather high COG and I didn't like it because of that.

·
Registered
184 Posts
in comparison to what i guess.
Just based on feel,
Its higher than the KTM Super Duke
Lower than a Black bird.
Its higher than the MT10
Higher than the NC750s
Lower than the Sportster 1200
Lower than z1000

I suffer from short leg syndrome. so a lower COG helps
It would have been nice for it to have a closer weight to the MT09/FZ09
But I guess that is part of its older school appeal.
It is acceptable to me. The rest of the bike makes up for it

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
When I was riding a Honda Magna, I was on a forum where a couple guys switched to the 919 and liked it. Of coarse the Magna was a fine cruiser, and I loved that thing, in spite of the rider position and weight. The V4 was just awesome. I was always curious about the 919 though and it got me started looking at "standards", then I started wanting a Yamaha FZ8, then when I was looking for them, they came out with the FZ7 and I bought one. Fantastic commuter bike. Light weight, quick handling, and torque that would kick the S's a$$. But... it wasn't as good on the freeway because it had little protection and got blown around easily (light weight, quick steering, short wheelbase, light front end). The GSX-S F solved all of those short comings for me. I still miss the light weight quick handling of the FZ sometimes around town, but I'm still glad I made the switch, and I think the 919 would, in the end, be a compromise that is the worst of both worlds (heavy as the GSXS, and no protection/stability).

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
When I was riding a Honda Magna, I was on a forum where a couple guys switched to the 919 and liked it. Of coarse the Magna was a fine cruiser, and I loved that thing, in spite of the rider position and weight. The V4 was just awesome. I was always curious about the 919 though and it got me started looking at "standards", then I started wanting a Yamaha FZ8, then when I was looking for them, they came out with the FZ7 and I bought one. Fantastic commuter bike. Light weight, quick handling, and torque that would kick the S's a$$. But... it wasn't as good on the freeway because it had little protection and got blown around easily (light weight, quick steering, short wheelbase, light front end). The GSX-S F solved all of those short comings for me. I still miss the light weight quick handling of the FZ sometimes around town, but I'm still glad I made the switch, and I think the 919 would, in the end, be a compromise that is the worst of both worlds (heavy as the GSXS, and no protection/stability).
ya but what about the cog....its all about the COG

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The cog was fine on all of my previous bikes. It's only one of many factors that affect the ride feel. The cog doesn't matter as much with a bike as light as the FZ07 (which felt about the same as the GSXS to me) and it's short wheelbase made it very quick but less stable at highway speeds, and the Magna had a lower cog, but it was still slow handling relative to the GSXS or FZ7. So in the end I didn't think that much about the cog, because there are so many other factors that go into how a bike handles, I guess I disagree, it's not all about the COG.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The cog was fine on all of my previous bikes. It's only one of many factors that affect the ride feel. The cog doesn't matter as much with a bike as light as the FZ07 (which felt about the same as the GSXS to me) and it's short wheelbase made it very quick but less stable at highway speeds, and the Magna had a lower cog, but it was still slow handling relative to the GSXS or FZ7. So in the end I didn't think that much about the cog, because there are so many other factors that go into how a bike handles, I guess I disagree, it's not all about the COG.
i was joking..and i agree with you....:)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
How about this then, do you sit "in" or "on" the GSXS?
I feel like in sitting in the bike probably because of the race screen making the front look higher....what i like about the s also is the gas tank dont seem to sit as high betweet your legs...you dont get the feel of reaching over tank to get to the bars....you still thinking about the s

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hit an elk with my 919 (low speed) and although it's repairable there' never been a better time. I just can't get a ride on one anywhere it's really frustrating.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
i liked my 919 just the seating always pushed me forward... felt like i was sitting on my nuts all the time....if you like the 919 the s would be perfect.......i never bought a bike i rode first....i sat on the s and knew right away

1 - 20 of 21 Posts