GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed down my next bike purchase to either the BMW S1000R or Suzuki GSXS1000.

I've been set on the BMW since it was released but I'm starting to have some reservations.

I'm actually starting to think the GSXS1000 might be better than the S1000R. The differences are seemingly minor details at this point.

Sure, the S1000R is technically the better bike, but is it 46% better? The S1000R is 29% more expensive for the base model and 46% more expensive for the premium model. I've never actually seen a base at the dealer, so generally speaking, the BMW is nearly 50% more money than the Suzuki.

Is it 50% more bike, I'm starting to think not.

I'm guessing that mostly everyone on this forum is biased towards the Suzuki. However, I'm hoping that you all can explain why you would choose the Suzuki over the BMW.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Reading some BMW forum I bought GSXS for some reason:

- More expensive when you buy it
- More espensive at service (but the first is free)
- S1000R have some trouble and BMW service can't solve ( engine off when you are running at idle, water consumption and other minor)
- Too much electronics (is equal more future trouble)
-In my town service isn't good.

To change my bike I spent 2000€ for gsxs but bmw ask me 5000€ for S1000R

That's all;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Price played a big part in my decision to buy the GSXS over the S1000R, $16k vs $25k (I wasn't going to get the base model).

I'd spent plenty of time riding the S1000R, as a mate leaves his in my parents shed, so it was readily available to ride.
I liked almost everything about the bike, the electronics were lovely, the throttle was super smooth (if lacking a bit down low). The brakes are amazing and it's got heaps of power up top.

For every day riding though, it's got a tiny amount of steering lock, which makes U turns and tight maneuvering a pain.

The build quality isn't what I would have expected for a bike of that price...for example, the brake fluid reservoir wobbles around in its mount.

I'd also heard lots of stories about the electronic suspension failing and other electronic niggles.

I was also concerned about the cost involved in repairing electronics once the bike is out of warranty.

The closest service centre was also 600km away, and I didn't want to have to travel for services.

In saying all that, its a great bike to ride, heaps of fun and very easy to ride.... It just didn't do it for me.

The GSXS fit the bill really well for me. It was a good price, I found it more comfortable, plenty of power, handles really well, can get it serviced in town, and its easier to maneuver in tight spaces.

·
Registered
21 Posts
S1000R Vs GSX-S 1000

I've narrowed down my next bike purchase to either the BMW S1000R or Suzuki GSXS1000.

I've been set on the BMW since it was released but I'm starting to have some reservations.

I'm actually starting to think the GSXS1000 might be better than the S1000R. The differences are seemingly minor details at this point.

Sure, the S1000R is technically the better bike, but is it 46% better? The S1000R is 29% more expensive for the base model and 46% more expensive for the premium model. I've never actually seen a base at the dealer, so generally speaking, the BMW is nearly 50% more money than the Suzuki.

Is it 50% more bike, I'm starting to think not.

I'm guessing that mostly everyone on this forum is biased towards the Suzuki. However, I'm hoping that you all can explain why you would choose the Suzuki over the BMW.
like you I was set on the BMW when it was first released. I had a test ride and placed a deposit. During a long wait for the bike to arrive I had a second test ride. I did this because I had some reservations but still ordered on the salesman's assurance that I could cancel if I chose to. The reason I decided to cancel my order for the BMW was mostly because of the limited steering lock.. I believe the chasis is the same as the BMW S1000RR.. and the poor back brake, even though it is a Brembo item. The bars are also a long reach for me at 5'8" and I felt the riding position was too sports bike like, not really an all day riding position. The GSX-S made feel right at home from the off and although it isn't as fast as the S1000R there isn't that much real world difference and think of all the goodies you could buy with the price difference! You need to test ride both, we all have different preferences , but for my part I'm pleased I chose the GSX-S ps if you do big mileages go for the F the wind protection difference really is noticable.:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Like Marty has said, the factor in not choosing the bmw for me came down to purchase price ($10,000 difference) and servicing costs.
One of the things i love about the zuk is a basic service is $250 compared to upwards of $600 for marque brands like the bmw.

I have nowhere near the ability to ride the gsxs to its potential, and very happy with what it has to offer!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also considered the S1000R but after coming off a 2013 Ducati Diavel I felt that less is more. The high service costs coupled with the dealer being 250kms away as well as the reliability issues led me back to the Suzuki. The overall reliability as well as reduced service costs and the convenience of the dealer located close by were the contributing factors for me. I also had serious concerns about the adaptive suspension. The cruise control and heated grips would be the bonus features for myself. Hope this helps and good luck with your decision. Keep us updated.

Rod

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fortunately I have some time to think about it as winter is fast approaching for me. I think I'm leaning more towards the Suzuki at this point for pretty much all of the same reasons you guys pointed out. Suzuki dealer is a 5min walk from my home, BMW dealer is a 90min drive. So that's nice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've driven both and they are my top two favorites. But to answer the question - No, S1000R isn't worth the extra money. I've decided for the Suzuki next season, after the winter.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The BMW S1000R was not in my shortlist , even without testride
On the Belgium motorshow in January I tried it, and it felt to much as a S1000RR where only part of the fairings were taken of. Riding position was not what I wanted, even the looks of the bike didn't blow me away. There is also a big difference in price and BMW reputation is far behind any Japanese brand.

And as stated by others, the specs and power of my Suzy are even to much for me.
I definitly can say that this bike is one of the best choises I've made for the use on the road and my (lack of) talents
Is the Suzuki perfect? Of course not, but the best compromise for me

·
Registered
81 Posts
I saw the gsxs1000f in a Suzuki cycle news ad and fell in love with the cherry red model. I watched and read every review and the bike was praised by all. 4 days later I rode mine home. The price is spectacular. Great ergos and carves corners like no tomorrow. More power than most of us can fully appreciate. I added the booster plug and it cured all the throttle and motor glitches. I'm 2 months into ownership and love this bike more every day.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've ridden the BMW. I live near one of the largest BMW dealers on the east coast. I loved the bike. Once I walked through the service dept and saw many pushed to the side waiting in parts, I decided it was not on my list anymore. Not small repairs either. Two new ones were waiting on replacement cam shafts.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i'm probably going to be purchasing a gsx-s1000 abs in the next few weeks (deciding between the naked or F version currently). for what it's worth, i've demo'd the tuono factory, super duke 1290, the s1000r, and suzuki, and even the bmw s1000xr. by far the least appealing bike of the bunch was the s1000r. i found the chassis unstable, it was radiating heat like no one's business, the seating position was awful, it did not want to tip in and actually corner, and overall it did not live up to the expectations on quality of build that i'm used to from bmw (i've had a 1200r for 6 years now and love it). so it was between the 'duke and hte suzuki, and i chose the suzuki. it has great reviews, that great japanese gearbox, the famouns gixxer engine from '05-'08, great price, etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
And you didn't try out the new water cooled 1200r?
Pleasantly surprised with this bike and package when I had a spin on one some weeks ago.
Amazing what BMW have achieved with this water cooled boxer motor too, very versatile motor.

·
Registered
85 Posts
actually, i own a 2009 bmw r1200r, my first bike, and i'm about to sell it after 6 years of ownership, it's a fantastic bike and will always have a special place in my heart, it forgave me when i had no idea how to ride. it was my first bike (i'm a late bloomer i know!). i also own a 2015 multistrada. here's a photo or 2 of my "r" an me riding it :)

And you didn't try out the new water cooled 1200r?
Pleasantly surprised with this bike and package when I had a spin on one some weeks ago.
Amazing what BMW have achieved with this water cooled boxer motor too, very versatile motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
What did you think of the XR then, pretty much a steroid laden manic bike was my 1st impression?
But also a very capable machine as long as you're not a gnome with that tall saddle.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i'm pretty tall so the seating position of the xr was fine for me, and the bike is pretty sweet and it would have been a contender for my next bike but it's super buzzy in the bars and foot pegs at high rpms, and that's an issue i could not live with. also, for canyons and track days i think it's a bit on the larger side, and i already have a 2015 multistrada so it felt duplicative.

What did you think of the XR then, pretty much a steroid laden manic bike was my 1st impression?
But also a very capable machine as long as you're not a gnome with that tall saddle.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Haven't ridden a Multi, must give one a go.
The XR are a bit vibey that's for sure and it's a long way down when you lay it into corners but I think you could still stick it to the sports bikes in the twists in capable hands.
As for a track bike probably not, but Google up Baron von Grumble for his XR track day and see how he performed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i saw that video, it was awesome. i took my multistrada to the track a few weeks ago just to see how it would do. here are a few photos

Haven't ridden a Multi, must give one a go.
The XR are a bit vibey that's for sure and it's a long way down when you lay it into corners but I think you could still stick it to the sports bikes in the twists in capable hands.
As for a track bike probably not, but Google up Baron von Grumble for his XR track day and see how he performed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 71 Posts