GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been heavily researching adding a naked bike to the family. If I were simply going off of the specification sheet and published reviews the S1000R or the V4 Tuono would be my number 1 and number 2 choices. I have taken the 1290 duke off of my list because I consider it to be one ugly motorcycle. The Monster 1200 is just too expensive for what you get in terms of performance IMO.

However the S1000R and Tuono's both have what I consider serious reliability issues, are expensive, and have thin dealer networks. Up here in Alberta my dealer sells all of the above models, except for the Ducati. He tells me that they have lot of issues with the Aprilia's and sourcing parts for them has been full of headaches.

I am a BMW fan, and the S1000R is one **** of a bike however the stalling problems, and the problem with coolant loss (both of which have not been resolved yet no matter what you are told) have put me off. They appear to have resolved the intake valve problems. I do not want to take the chance on putting big dollars down on a premium brand and end up pissed-off about it. My K1300S has been dead reliable for 30,000km, however it was a mature, well sorted bike by the year I purchased mine. The K1200/K1300 bikes were fraught with issues for several years of production like the S1000R appears to be.

In my opinion the Suzuki is a better all around package than the Kawasaki. To me the biggest things the Suzuki has going for it are:

-460 curb weight
-K5/6 motor with that incredible low end and midrange
-best HP/$ ratio in the class
-well sorted out suspension for the cost
-fantastic north american dealer network
-Japanese reliability
-good brakes

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had a couple of Piaggio products over the years, the Tuono being one of them, and everyone can tell you they treat the US market like crap. A bunch of dealers have dropped them as they would not honor warranty work and forced the dealers to eat it. That and it can take forever to get parts over here or find the problem of some weird electrical issue. I will never touch another Piaggio product myself. Having only one dealer in the area, that's not so close, given the issues makes it a risky proposition. At least bmer has much better dealer support and usually honors warranties. That being said the Tuono was a great bike, but ther ewere some issues hard to ignore. Reliability aside it was probably the worse seat I ever sat on including picnic benches. The friggin thing was awful and the aftermarket solution were not plentiful. It was a pain around town, as it got angry in that 4k or less rev area, and most owners had to drop a tooth in the front sprocket to make it livable.. Add to that the 90-95 fuel tank range and you had a bike that was pretty limited in its use. Oh yeah, the rear shock sucked. So could you drop a couple grand into it and make it better? sure. Not worth the money at that point though for a bike that doesn't have much versatility.

I'm with you on the Bmer. Just too much garbage to deal with for the money. I'm also of the mind if something's just a sunday fun toy 20k is too much. The NInja and the Suzuki make much better options. Even if you dropped a couple of grand into them for suspension upgrades and a couple other things you're still ahead of the game financially and have a better bike.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had a couple of Piaggio products over the years, the Tuono being one of them, and everyone can tell you they treat the US market like crap. A bunch of dealers have dropped them as they would not honor warranty work and forced the dealers to eat it. That and it can take forever to get parts over here or find the problem of some weird electrical issue. I will never touch another Piaggio product myself. Having only one dealer in the area, that's not so close, given the issues makes it a risky proposition. At least bmer has much better dealer support and usually honors warranties. That being said the Tuono was a great bike, but ther ewere some issues hard to ignore. Reliability aside it was probably the worse seat I ever sat on including picnic benches. The friggin thing was awful and the aftermarket solution were not plentiful. It was a pain around town, as it got angry in that 4k or less rev area, and most owners had to drop a tooth in the front sprocket to make it livable.. Add to that the 90-95 fuel tank range and you had a bike that was pretty limited in its use. Oh yeah, the rear shock sucked. So could you drop a couple grand into it and make it better? sure. Not worth the money at that point though for a bike that doesn't have much versatility.

I'm with you on the Bmer. Just too much garbage to deal with for the money. I'm also of the mind if something's just a sunday fun toy 20k is too much. The NInja and the Suzuki make much better options. Even if you dropped a couple of grand into them for suspension upgrades and a couple other things you're still ahead of the game financially and have a better bike.
i have to agree with you both i test rode them all i really wanted the bmw it was appealing to me from the first time I saw it then i rode it its great just not the extra money great
i rode the ktm and did not like it
the aprilia is ok but again not worth the extra money
mt09 great bike just not for me
so i got the Suzuki yes I have spent a couple of grand on it but now it goes like both the BMW and the aprilia its got a better quick shifter it handles as well as both of them and I have change
winner !!!!
oh and my mechanic is minutes away doesn't charge like a horny rhino and is working on something you don`t need an astro physics degree to understand as well as tools that cost millions
happy gsxs owner me ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah I too have one of the best mechanics on the east coast when it comes to non-euro bikes, only 10 minutes away, and another reputable one 10 minutes in another direction. Top quality work for very fair prices. I never have to worry with a Japanese bike. To me if you drop a couple of grand in the Suzuki you have just as good as a bike as those others, if not better, without the headaches, and you're still a few grand richer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Finally, someone that agrees with me about the duke. Just to fugly to own, no matter how good a bike it is. And, also have to agree with everyone about the bimmer. After having owed a BMW car, no matter how good it drives, the headaches are just not worth it, as well as dealing with the arrogance at BMW USA. The government mandates a recall and they still just say F you. I'll never buy another BMW product.

Dunno anything about the Tuono except reading online tests and it tends to perform well, but it not exactly a beauty either.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Out of the bikes I have owned the Japanese are by far the most reliable. The dealer near me is close and great to deal with. Those factors are what got me off my Diavel. I love twin cylinder bikes and as much as I loved the feeling and spirit of the Diavel I could no longer look past the constant nagging issues and lack of dealer support I was receiving. All in all for me the Gsxs 1000 was the best choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Out of the bikes I have owned the Japanese are by far the most reliable. The dealer near me is close and great to deal with. Those factors are what got me off my Diavel. I love twin cylinder bikes and as much as I loved the feeling and spirit of the Diavel I could no longer look past the constant nagging issues and lack of dealer support I was receiving. All in all for me the Gsxs 1000 was the best choice.
How does it compare to your FZ 09? Which bike has more low in train pulling torque? Suspension similar or better?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would have to say that the gsxs 1000 beats the FZ 09 in both torque and in the suspension. Both suspensions are equal to the task on the road but I feel that there is more room for adjustment on the 1000. I also find the brakes to be better as well. The other thing that I really like on the 1000 is that the seating position is slightly leaned forward where as the 09 was very upright. A very comfortable riding position but grew tiring on the highway after several hundred kms. On the plus side of the 09 I did like the ambient air temp sensor and the triple was really fun to ride. To sum it up although the 1000 costs more I do feel it is worth it. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked up a 2012 Ninja 1000 this summer with 900 miles on it. Have found it to be just right for me. Right in between my previous Hayabusa>:D and GSXR 750 :Dexcept with softer suspension, but not too soft, and more relaxed ergos and tons-o-torque:laugh:. I'm replacing the seat though, it sucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts