GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
can anyone explain why the GSXS1000F model is priced $1000 more then the much slower :) naked version GSXS1000? Suzuki led me to assume its because it has a full fairing , more plastic = more cost = higher price right? Nope turns out plastics on the naked GSXS1000 actually cost more then full fared version...maybe its the extra 10ml of fork oil they added in the forks

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
The F has ABS as standard and the Naked doesnt,( UK Models) so in the UK thats £500 more, F has twin headlights and a screen, fairing, it all adds up

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The F has ABS as standard and the Naked doesnt,( UK Models) so in the UK thats £500 more, F has twin headlights and a screen, fairing, it all adds up
In the US they non-f model sells for 9499 non abs and 9999 with abs, the F sells for 10999. If you take a look at the images i posted the fairings, front end and headlight for both models are broken down by price...the naked version plastics cost more then the F (Headlight for F =$268 , Naked = 163)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Looks to me like you missed quite a few plastics off the F version, not $1000 worth.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks to me like you missed quite a few plastics off the F version, not $1000 worth.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Actually I didnt. The full fairing on the "F" is 4 plastic pieces total . However I didnt include any of the fasteners /screws in totals (either model).

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
I dont think pricing really ever equals the real price...Its the "perception".

For example, lets compare a gsxr 600 to the gsxr 1000. The 1000 uses a few more lbs of raw material, but the actual production cost is probably all but identical.

Yet, the list price of the 600 is 11,199 and the 1000 is 13,899..or was in 2015.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pricing strategy

Actually I didnt. The full fairing on the "F" is 4 plastic pieces total . However I didnt include any of the fasteners /screws in totals (either model).
Unfortunately pricing motorcycles (or anything else for that matter) isn't as simple as this. No amount of plastic components or fasteners would account for the difference in price. Styling in itself can demand a higher price. I can honestly tell you that if the F model wasn't available I wouldn't have purchased the naked.
The naked version is likely priced to compete against other naked bikes with similar displacement. Thereby the competitors' pricing strategy would directly be reflected in what Suzuki picks for an MSRP figure. If say Honda prices the CB1000R ~ 11k it would make sense for Suzuki to undercut them slightly in their effort to gain market share. Other motorcycles competing for the same customer would have more to do with the final figure than the cost of a few components do.
If Suzuki's marketing department determined that a particular customer shopping for the GSX-S1000F would also be looking at say F800GT or Z1000, they can afford to make a lightly better margin on that model.
All things aside I consider both models to be priced extremely competitively, even if there's a slight disparity between the two, they are both aggressively priced.
Another more surprising thing, to me, is why aren't they selling better considering the low asking price. Had Suzuki decided to factor in a higher marketing cost of promoting both models, they would have likely cost a bit more, but presumably resulted in more units in the hands of customers. We can only ponder.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Example, Why does a Honda Grom cost a fraction of a CB650 Naked, Goldwing etc etc.
All have 2 wheels, motor, tank, speedo cluster, seat and so on.

The cost of R&D, assembly, marketing, warehousing and spares inventory would be similar, so as we all know, it comes down to "What the Market will bear".
The Human mind equates big as better, hence the F is bigger in physical volume than the S, so therefore it must cost more.
So when you buy the F, The Marketing Dept feels justified with their pricing.

What makes me smile is when say the GSXS Tour pops up.
They add say 20% to the retail cost of the bike, include some Factory accessories and some that you may not necessarily want.
Say 3000 of your money units of value, but you can have it for half that cost, because they like you.

The cost to the Factory is only 5 -10%, and the smaller windscreen stays in the warehouse to be used on the base model anyway.
So they pocket 10 -15% more profit and move some more accessory parts out of the Factory Warehouse.
Win - Win?

Rob.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Example, Why does a Honda Grom cost a fraction of a CB650 Naked, Goldwing etc etc.
All have 2 wheels, motor, tank, speedo cluster, seat and so on.

The cost of R&D, assembly, marketing, warehousing and spares inventory would be similar, so as we all know, it comes down to "What the Market will bear".
The Human mind equates big as better, hence the F is bigger in physical volume than the S, so therefore it must cost more.
So when you buy the F, The Marketing Dept feels justified with their pricing.

What makes me smile is when say the GSXS Tour pops up.
They add say 20% to the retail cost of the bike, include some Factory accessories and some that you may not necessarily want.
Say 3000 of your money units of value, but you can have it for half that cost, because they like you.

The cost to the Factory is only 5 -10%, and the smaller windscreen stays in the warehouse to be used on the base model anyway.
So they pocket 10 -15% more profit and move some more accessory parts out of the Factory Warehouse.
Win - Win?

Rob.
I'd like to know how much it really cost Suzuki before the bike goes out of the factory gates, before all the other post assembly line costs and profits go on the bottom line...?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'd like to know how much it really cost Suzuki before the bike goes out of the factory gates, before all the other post assembly line costs and profits go on the bottom line...?

I was speaking to a young person about 20 years ago who worked in Customs & Excise Dept., and she whispered to me that the Importer declared the value of what they paid to land motorbikes into my Country.
Around half of the retail ask. :crying:
Rob.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts