GSXS 1000 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1989 GSX750F
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Excellent!...hope you have some decent weather and get some miles on quick.
I am curious if you have a date of manufacture on the bike or if it is a low serial number like others on the forum who have had there bikes for awhile.
No one seems to know if Suzuki is slow to build the bikes or if there is a bunch of bikes that have been built but just not shipped due to the shipping/transportation mayhem that is plaguing the world right now. Hope you enjoy !
It says 2/2022 so I guess February 2022. What’s your thoughts on that?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sadly I think Motorcycling is a dying thing. Older people yeah, majority of new people don’t even want licenses bc they can Uber or bus or bike or they want self driving cars now a days
That's interesting. I've read the young kids don't want to buy cars or houses, either. It's a new world. Better or worse...who knows. But the implications are staggering - massive inventories of big houses, cratering new car sales...it's just what the "economy" depends on...after all, the "consumer" is 70% of the economy, according to economists, so if the new crop of people doesn't "consume", the economy is in trouble. In fact, the economy is already in trouble, but the majority of the public is not aware...yet. The next 2 years will test the resolve of this country, and other countries as well. We are going to pay for over a decade of wanton money-printing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It says 2/2022 so I guess February 2022. What’s your thoughts on that?
Thanks, I appreciate that and I think it is a good sign. Every new bike I have ever bought was always built 3 or 4 months earlier. My Z900rs that showed up at the dealer in February was built in November, so these seem to be no different.
The dealer spoke for mine in late October and was told March which has now turned into August or later, obviously the paperwork for it fell apart somewhere...my big worry was that I would end up with a bike made 8 or 10 months earlier that had been sitting in a warehouse somewhere. The 2023's bikes starting to trickle out now, even Suzuki has announced the 2023 Hayabusa and DR650 for the U.S. market.......talk about holding on to an old design. I was getting tempted to throw in the towel and wait for the 2023's to come out, which will probably be announced about the time mine shows up.
The problem with that is Suzuki won't have changed anything except perhaps drop a colour that isn't popular and will raise the price of the bike as well as shipping...plus it to will probably show up 6 months or a year late. Also the world is in such a mess with strife and potential economic doom and gloom it is hard to feel warm and fuzzy about things getting any better. I still have my 89 Vmax I bought new as well as my Z900 plus a basement full of my old bikes from the 70"s so pretty sure I can stay amused until this, my last new bike shows up....which I plan on riding until they take away my licence.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate that and I think it is a good sign. Every new bike I have ever bought was always built 3 or 4 months earlier. My Z900rs that showed up at the dealer in February was built in November, so these seem to be no different.
The dealer spoke for mine in late October and was told March which has now turned into August or later, obviously the paperwork for it fell apart somewhere...my big worry was that I would end up with a bike made 8 or 10 months earlier that had been sitting in a warehouse somewhere. The 2023's bikes starting to trickle out now, even Suzuki has announced the 2023 Hayabusa and DR650 for the U.S. market.......talk about holding on to an old design. I was getting tempted to throw in the towel and wait for the 2023's to come out, which will probably be announced about the time mine shows up.
The problem with that is Suzuki won't have changed anything except perhaps drop a colour that isn't popular and will raise the price of the bike as well as shipping...plus it to will probably show up 6 months or a year late. Also the world is in such a mess with strife and potential economic doom and gloom it is hard to feel warm and fuzzy about things getting any better. I still have my 89 Vmax I bought new as well as my Z900 plus a basement full of my old bikes from the 70"s so pretty sure I can stay amused until this, my last new bike shows up....which I plan on riding until they take away my licence.
What you got in the "basement"? Pics? :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
So you ordered yours in October and still don't have it? Which province are you in? There has to be somebody outside of Suzuki we can complain to, Suzuki Canada doesn't give a crap. In Europe people are walking into dealers and walking out with the bike so it's clearly not an issue with Suzuki being unable to build the bikes. This has seriously soured me on Suzukis and I likely won't purchase another one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So you ordered yours in October and still don't have it? Which province are you in? There has to be somebody outside of Suzuki we can complain to, Suzuki Canada doesn't give a crap. In Europe people are walking into dealers and walking out with the bike so it's clearly not an issue with Suzuki being unable to build the bikes. This has seriously soured me on Suzukis and I likely won't purchase another one.
Suzuki told my dealer to re-submit his original order....apparently record keeping and Public Relations are not a strong point with Suzuki these days. They seem to be trying to pin any ordering issues on the dealer..probably starting from square one again so not sure where this will end up...I live in south central British Columbia....just far enough away from Trevor so I don't end up in some form of bike rehab facility....my basement does not reflect well on normalcy, Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Picture frame

·
Registered
407 Posts
Suzuki does seem to be having "issues". Either my dealer is clueless, or Suzuki deliberately is keeping them in the dark, because whenever I ask, the response is that the dealer has no idea where the bike is, or when it'll arrive (or if, for that matter)...could be tomorrow, or next year. Dealer seems complacent, too...so maybe I need to ask what that means in terms of "customer service".

·
Registered
719 Posts
Suzuki told my dealer to re-submit his original order....apparently record keeping and Public Relations are not a strong point with Suzuki these days. They seem to be trying to pin any ordering issues on the dealer..probably starting from square one again so not sure where this will end up...I live in south central British Columbia....just far enough away from Trevor so I don't end up in some form of bike rehab facility....my basement does not reflect well on normalcy, View attachment 48694
Awesome collection! We must have crossed paths. Where in bc are you?

·
Registered
1989 GSX750F
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Rode the GT into work today. Not sure if it's a real thing, but someone posted on one of the groups that I'm in that it's Ride To Work Day today. Who am I to argue, especially when the nice new bike is sitting there begging to be ridden. Weather still not the best, but looks like I'm just going to have to put up with that for now.

Here's a bunch of dot points of how I'm feeling about the bike. If you want to know more, ask away:
  • Compared to 89 GSX750F, I feel like I'm perched up on top of the bike instead of down low and integrated into the bike. Not a problem, just different. Plenty of room for my dodgy knees which on the old bike would sometimes scream at me on a half hour ride. I'm 1.73 m or about 5'8" with a 30" inside leg. Today I had a sore knee walking to the bike and when I got off the bike the knee was feeling great! So I'm telling everyone riding the bike is actually a medical aid from now on.
  • The bars are much wider than the 89 which adds to the strange feeling for me. I'm sure I'll get used to it.
  • The seat seems comfortable but maybe a bit firm. I rode 1 hour home from the bike shop and the butt was just starting to complain. I don't ride that far normally so perhaps it's my butt's fault rather than the seat.
  • Haven't tipped it into any corners balls out yet. It's mostly been wet and still getting used to the throttle response etc. But it feels easy to turn in and sure footed. Suspension is of course going to be streets ahead of the old bike and it is. It's soaking up the bumps but still feels nice and stable and firm. On the highway doing 105 km/hr I noticed it was firmer than the old bike when there were some rather large bumps which transmitted probably more than the old bike. I haven't fiddled with damping or pre-load yet but that may well improve it. I'm a large 115 kg so it's likely not setup for me from the factory.
  • I've only got about 145 km on the clock so still limited to 5,500 rpm until I get beyond 800 km.
  • Compared to 89 GSX750F, the power from 4,000 rpm to 5,500 rpm is already up there beside the 89 model when it's revving much harder.
  • I'm using Drive Mode B which seems to have plenty of response, actually way more response than the old 89 model. The bike is raring to go! The time between cracking the throttle at 4,000 rpm and reaching 5,500 rpm is so short it's near impossible to be sure of not exceeding the limit.
  • Engine can be driven easily at 3,000 rpm and picks up pretty good from there. Down at 2,000 it doesn't complain, but it's too low with a lot less power. It's really easy to ride between 3,000 to 5,500 and has plenty of acceleration even in that range.
  • The traction control has come on a couple of times when I've ridden over large bumps. Just the TC light, didn't feel anything e.g. any loss of power. I've had it on TC4 and also TC2 for a while but not riding hard enough for it to count. Roads have been wet though hence TC4 for now.
  • I purposely triggered the rear ABS going down my driveway which is steep, wet and slippery and it worked fine
  • Love the TFT display. I use reading glasses for my iPhone, but I can see all of this display without glasses. I'm finding it easy to scroll through the trip meters and to change the TC and Drive Mode settings.
  • Cruise control works great. No drop outs or inability to turn on like some have reported.
  • I've setup the MySpin app and connected to the phone, but so far I haven't been able to work out how to easily put an address in (typing one letter at a time using arrows to navigate a keyboard takes forever) and when I did put an address in I could work out how to move to the navigation mode where it tells you where to turn etc. I've only tried it once quickly though but I do have concerns whether it's easy to use. I didn't find that MySpin dropped out or anything like I've seen reported. I received a phone call whilst riding and it picked up my Contacts and told me who it was - I don't have an earphone or a microphone in my helmet but at least I knew who called.
  • The reflective blue colour is better in the flesh than in the photos.
  • Already had a few people corner me wanting to know what bike it is and seemingly impressed.
  • Quickshifter works great, although I've found the smoothness changes at times. Sometimes it's incredible how beautifully it changes and at those times it's rather satisfying going up through the gears with the clear sound of quickshift. Other times I've found it's not as good, but it always seems acceptable.
That's enough for now, need to go jump on the bike and head home from work.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Suzuki does seem to be having "issues". Either my dealer is clueless, or Suzuki deliberately is keeping them in the dark, because whenever I ask, the response is that the dealer has no idea where the bike is, or when it'll arrive (or if, for that matter)...could be tomorrow, or next year. Dealer seems complacent, too...so maybe I need to ask what that means in terms of "customer service".
Our dealership never finds out when the bike is arriving until around a week before so nothing surprises me with what you are saying. I know it is not great from a customer's point of view but even dealerships have issues getting information from the importer/ manufacturer sometimes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Rode the GT into work today. Not sure if it's a real thing, but someone posted on one of the groups that I'm in that it's Ride To Work Day today. Who am I to argue, especially when the nice new bike is sitting there begging to be ridden. Weather still not the best, but looks like I'm just going to have to put up with that for now.

Here's a bunch of dot points of how I'm feeling about the bike. If you want to know more, ask away:
  • Compared to 89 GSX750F, I feel like I'm perched up on top of the bike instead of down low and integrated into the bike. Not a problem, just different. Plenty of room for my dodgy knees which on the old bike would sometimes scream at me on a half hour ride. I'm 1.73 m or about 5'8" with a 30" inside leg. Today I had a sore knee walking to the bike and when I got off the bike the knee was feeling great! So I'm telling everyone riding the bike is actually a medical aid from now on.
  • The bars are much wider than the 89 which adds to the strange feeling for me. I'm sure I'll get used to it.
  • The seat seems comfortable but maybe a bit firm. I rode 1 hour home from the bike shop and the butt was just starting to complain. I don't ride that far normally so perhaps it's my butt's fault rather than the seat.
  • Haven't tipped it into any corners balls out yet. It's mostly been wet and still getting used to the throttle response etc. But it feels easy to turn in and sure footed. Suspension is of course going to be streets ahead of the old bike and it is. It's soaking up the bumps but still feels nice and stable and firm. On the highway doing 105 km/hr I noticed it was firmer than the old bike when there were some rather large bumps which transmitted probably more than the old bike. I haven't fiddled with damping or pre-load yet but that may well improve it. I'm a large 115 kg so it's likely not setup for me from the factory.
  • I've only got about 145 km on the clock so still limited to 5,500 rpm until I get beyond 800 km.
  • Compared to 89 GSX750F, the power from 4,000 rpm to 5,500 rpm is already up there beside the 89 model when it's revving much harder.
  • I'm using Drive Mode B which seems to have plenty of response, actually way more response than the old 89 model. The bike is raring to go! The time between cracking the throttle at 4,000 rpm and reaching 5,500 rpm is so short it's near impossible to be sure of not exceeding the limit.
  • Engine can be driven easily at 3,000 rpm and picks up pretty good from there. Down at 2,000 it doesn't complain, but it's too low with a lot less power. It's really easy to ride between 3,000 to 5,500 and has plenty of acceleration even in that range.
  • The traction control has come on a couple of times when I've ridden over large bumps. Just the TC light, didn't feel anything e.g. any loss of power. I've had it on TC4 and also TC2 for a while but not riding hard enough for it to count. Roads have been wet though hence TC4 for now.
  • I purposely triggered the rear ABS going down my driveway which is steep, wet and slippery and it worked fine
  • Love the TFT display. I use reading glasses for my iPhone, but I can see all of this display without glasses. I'm finding it easy to scroll through the trip meters and to change the TC and Drive Mode settings.
  • Cruise control works great. No drop outs or inability to turn on like some have reported.
  • I've setup the MySpin app and connected to the phone, but so far I haven't been able to work out how to easily put an address in (typing one letter at a time using arrows to navigate a keyboard takes forever) and when I did put an address in I could work out how to move to the navigation mode where it tells you where to turn etc. I've only tried it once quickly though but I do have concerns whether it's easy to use. I didn't find that MySpin dropped out or anything like I've seen reported. I received a phone call whilst riding and it picked up my Contacts and told me who it was - I don't have an earphone or a microphone in my helmet but at least I knew who called.
  • The reflective blue colour is better in the flesh than in the photos.
  • Already had a few people corner me wanting to know what bike it is and seemingly impressed.
  • Quickshifter works great, although I've found the smoothness changes at times. Sometimes it's incredible how beautifully it changes and at those times it's rather satisfying going up through the gears with the clear sound of quickshift. Other times I've found it's not as good, but it always seems acceptable.
That's enough for now, need to go jump on the bike and head home from work.
Nice report I know even with my BMW using the Quickshifter going up through the gears you had to hold it full throttle and done gears The auto shifter blip needed to have the throttle fully off to change down smooth. I rather just use the clutch going down through the gears. The good news is that we should see better weather in the next two days when the rain moves on. I sent you a Private message about an hour ago. Cheers
Geoff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Some great owner reviews being posted, so much more relevant information than you could ever get from a magazine review... Hey Trevor, just one Ferry and a 4 hour ride to Kelowna..stop by sometime...yours is probably the only GT I will see this year..

·
Registered
1989 GSX750F
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Nice report I know even with my BMW using the Quickshifter going up through the gears you had to hold it full throttle and done gears The auto shifter blip needed to have the throttle fully off to change down smooth. I rather just use the clutch going down through the gears. The good news is that we should see better weather in the next two days when the rain moves on. I sent you a Private message about an hour ago. Cheers
Geoff
The GT doesn't need the throttle fully off or at full throttle to be smooth. On the contrary, at the moment the smoothest it's been is when lightly accelerating and changing up the gears. At that time it's almost unnoticeable that the gears are changing. Changing down the gears is fine too most of the time. I think the only time it could be better is sometimes when the throttle is just very slightly cracked at low RPM where you may get a slight momentary lurch forward. When at higher RPM and gradually slowing down using engine braking it can also be very smooth changing down. And when changing up at any sort of reasonable throttle opening it's sweet albeit at lower RPM it's not as good as at higher RPM.That is, up to my current 5,500 rpm limit so I suppose this is really all low RPM :unsure:

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,375 Posts
My dealer said it's best over 3000rpm use the clutch under that. Can't really argue. ;)

Reactions: Beckstar

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's Great, Suzuki likes you better than some of us...
You will have to let us know how the touring windshield works, I am hoping it doesn't generate a ton of noise.
Yes I know Boris, I have a couple of old Honda's tucked away at his place..

41 - 60 of 137 Posts