GSXS 1000 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
That's Great, Suzuki likes you better than some of us...
You will have to let us know how the touring windshield works, I am hoping it doesn't generate a ton of noise.
Yes I know Boris, I have a couple of old Honda's tucked away at his place..
Haha...well it is the second new Suzuki I have bought in the last 8 months...Boris picked up a gs1100 for me in the winter until I could get over to his house to pick it up....small world! Quite the collection he has :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well picked the bike up from the first service today.....heated grips, axel sliders, custom gt seat, touring wind screen, new tires, and of course the panniers
Not that impressed with the quality of the panniers but they will do the job. The black plastic will fade to grey before summers end I'm sure.
The sliders...way over priced. As were the grips...should have gone with Apollo grips,
The seat seems nice lol
The Touring wind screen......it effing sucks!!!!!!!! I have never experienced more buffeting in my life on a bike...ever. The noise...brutal! Suzuki is so proud of the screen???? Give me a break! I'll put the stock one back on....what a disappointment.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Luggage and bags Bag

Automotive lighting White Automotive tire Hood Blue

Tire Wheel Crankset Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but years of windscreen experimentation have taught me that "higher is better" is wishful thinking. If anything, going lower is better, to get one's head in clear airflow. All these windscreen manufacturers make grandiose claims about their tall screen putting the rider in "quiet bubbles", and it's ludicrous. Yet they get away with it, year after year. Crazy...

What a bummer, though. Can you send the touring screen back?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but years of windscreen experimentation have taught me that "higher is better" is wishful thinking. If anything, going lower is better, to get one's head in clear airflow. All these windscreen manufacturers make grandiose claims about their tall screen putting the rider in "quiet bubbles", and it's ludicrous. Yet they get away with it, year after year. Crazy...

What a bummer, though. Can you send the touring screen back?
No the screen comes with the GTA pkg....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had my buddy with me on his gs with big bags take mine home. It’s too big for the panniers
That is disappointing but not surprising the bigger shield is to noisy. I too have never had any luck putting on a bigger windshield. My KTM SuperDuke GT had one of the worst windshields you could imagine, okay coverage for your torso but it made so much noise that by 50 mph /80 kph you could no longer hear the engine or your passenger talking. Even with ear plugs the noise was horrible. I ended up cutting the top half of the shield off to get rid of the noise and to be in smooth clean air, but it looked odd...and after a few hours on the hwy you got tired of holding on...I also ended up buying the biggest piece of plexglass National cycle would sell me, still really noisy so I then stuck a laminar lip/mra visor on top that. Finally nice and quiet but you had to look thru it all the time which is a deal breaker for a lot of people, plus you cook on a hot day with no air hitting you......Captain slow did your bike show up?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Someone mentioned the Puig screen deflector worked well. I bought the medium size and could hardly believe how well it worked. It's ugly but at 5'7" I easily look over it. I can ride with my face shield open.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had a BMW F800GT, which was a really neat bike...agile, comfortable and great performance for a parallel twin. But I went through a LOT of windscreen swapping with it, because the OEM screen was noisy to the point of giving me a terrible headache on long mountain rides. I tried the National Cycle taller screen...worse. I tried Madstad...horrible (in fact wrestling that screen onto the bike during installation gave me a muscle spasm in my bike that kept me from riding for two weeks...lol...the fit was awful...and the screen created a bubble of hot air...nasty). I traded the bike.

I did try the MRA deflector, and it was hit-and-miss. Get the angle just right and at certain speeds it was good...other speeds, not so much.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can't wait till Puig and other aftermarket folks start putting stuff out. I have a clip on Puig extender on top of my stock (low) screen now and it helps a lot, you might want to try that for the time being.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Can't wait till Puig and other aftermarket folks start putting stuff out. I have a clip on Puig extender on top of my stock (low) screen now and it helps a lot, you might want to try that for the time being.
I looked at those which one did you buy? I don't need much of anything more than stock just need a little more air thrown upward just a bit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Someone mentioned the Puig screen deflector worked well. I bought the medium size and could hardly believe how well it worked. It's ugly but at 5'7" I easily look over it. I can ride with my face shield open.
Forgot to mention I have it on the touring screen.
This is my plan if the touring screen sucks as-is for me. I'm 5'8" if it matters. I picked up my touring screen last weekend but haven't installed it, because I bought it for cold weather. At some point before then I'll test it and it sounds like I will have to go with the ugly clip-on visor with it, but we'll see.
I put that same medium Puig visor on my new DR650 (right onto the headlight fairing) so I can try it out on the GT/touring before I buy another.

For warm/hot weather I'm really happy with the stock windscreen.

61 - 80 of 137 Posts