GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now what bike are they talking about here ?
Quote:
However, no motorcycle is perfect, and the ????? does have a couple of notable engine idiosyncrasies. First, it has trouble maintaining neutral throttle. Moving the grip the slightest bit results in the bike abruptly shifting from acceleration to deceleration. In fast corners, a higher gear selection reduces the effect. However, in first and second gear corners, the issue varies from a minor distraction to annoying. Try to maintain a constant speed, and you’ll be greeted with abrupt shifts from on- to off-throttle and back again.

Clue..............it's a Suzuki but not ours.:eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Gixxus got it. The 1250S, tested by MO.
I think we might be seeing this more and more, due to emissions requirements. Unless one of the big 4 can infiltrate the European HQ's and steal the secret formula on how they figured out smooth on/off throttle transitions. I'm not sure I've seen a KTM or BMW have this type of issue, perceived or real.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep gixxus got it new Bandit it is.
I had a 1250 Bandit in 2007 it was nothing like what they describe here.
Funny how similar it is to comments on our gsxs1000 as Jeckler said it seems to becoming a trend.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It's not just Japanese bikes. I mentioned previously that the Street Triple I bought new in 2009 exhibited similar characteristics so the trait in the GSX-S didn't bother me as much as some people on here. My memory might be a bit faulty but I think Triumph gave the mapping a tweak which helped a little. There also seems to be some variability between bikes. A friend who has one has the same symptoms as me - a bit lumpy off a closed throttle but not a major irritation.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I thought they said the same thing about our bike. Mine was like that in the beginning but has since smoothed out after breaking in. Either that or I've become so used to it that I don't notice it anymore.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It boggles my mind that the Bandit is only 97 HP from 1250 cc. They brag up the torque but it is only 80 lb-ft. Same as the Gixxus. Still better than Harley though. lol

·
Registered
974 Posts
it's a sales tactic Suzuki are using where the snatchy throttle gives it a more powerful bike feeling and the sense of it wanting to go faster, it's not emissions and they could fix it if they wanted to sell less bikes that still have the same Hp and the z1000 or mt09 and the likes would feel quicker

·
Registered
451 Posts
This is a result of what nicka is saying, but mostly an emissions thing.

Have you noticed most of, if not all the new bikes that pass euro 4 emissions have "issues"? Not issues, its the same issue.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Fog, if you get a chance, google the specs for Suzukis new and improved Gladius. I think its called the 2016 sv 650 now...

It looks better than the gladius, but start looking through its specs. Everything is pretty normal until you get to mpg. Then its shows 73mpg. I've seen it printed in several different places, so its not a misprint.

Now, my old sv was good for 45-50. Gladius probably similar. I cant wait to hear about the fueling on this new machine.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I also noticed that the effect was reduced after my first chain adjustment. A loose chain seems to have made the problem much worse.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Fog, if you get a chance, google the specs for Suzukis new and improved Gladius. I think its called the 2016 sv 650 now...

It looks better than the gladius, but start looking through its specs. Everything is pretty normal until you get to mpg. Then its shows 73mpg. I've seen it printed in several different places, so its not a misprint.

Now, my old sv was good for 45-50. Gladius probably similar. I cant wait to hear about the fueling on this new machine.
When the GSX-S was having its first service, the dealer loaned me a new Gladius for a couple of hours. Nice looking bike in black and red but when I rode it away, the performance was appalling. I subsequently found out that it was a LAMS specification. These bikes are specifically for learners in Europe, NZ and Australia and have restricted engines to meet specific power to weight ratio requirements. Fuelling was perfect but it simply had no grunt. From memory, I think output was under 40 bhp.

Bikes like this aren't a whole lot cheaper than their unrestricted counterparts and I wonder whether the price will put new riders off buying them.

·
Registered
451 Posts
When the GSX-S was having its first service, the dealer loaned me a new Gladius for a couple of hours. Nice looking bike in black and red but when I rode it away, the performance was appalling. I subsequently found out that it was a LAMS specification. These bikes are specifically for learners in Europe, NZ and Australia and have restricted engines to meet specific power to weight ratio requirements. Fuelling was perfect but it simply had no grunt. From memory, I think output was under 40 bhp.

Bikes like this aren't a whole lot cheaper than their unrestricted counterparts and I wonder whether the price will put new riders off buying them.

Now, heres whats odd. I'm not talking about a restricted bike. This is us spec, full power, usa bound stock suzuki sv 650.

71hp and 73mpg. Well, as they say...more will be revealed. I dont believe there is any epa standard test for motorcycle millage, but assuming even a 3.5 gallon tank, thats some serious range.

IF it really is all its supposed to be, pretty cool.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like the look of the new SV. Pretty much a hybrid of the the SV and the Gladius. Horsepower is up. It's definitely a great platform. Lots of torque (usable power). The suspension, if like the Gladius, is weak and needs attention in order to be a real fun bike. I think that 71mpg isn't going to happen. Especially if they're referring to a US gallon. I'll believe it when I see it. It will, however be a nice bike. It's a Suzuki after all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had My Gladius decated and believe me it was no slouch. For a 650 it had gobs of torque. Power wheelies in first and second were no problem. With a suspension upgrade, most of us would be content with this bike.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I like the look of the new SV. Pretty much a hybrid of the the SV and the Gladius. Horsepower is up. It's definitely a great platform. Lots of torque (usable power). The suspension, if like the Gladius, is weak and needs attention in order to be a real fun bike. I think that 71mpg isn't going to happen. Especially if they're referring to a US gallon. I'll believe it when I see it. It will, however be a nice bike. It's a Suzuki after all.

I agree on the 71mpg......I think. But, what if......what if, in making this thing euro 4 compliant, suzuki found a way to improve mpg?

If you take this new gsxs 1000 and compare it to a 1979 gs1000, you do see the modern bike makes twice as much hp as the old one while it uses about the same amount of fuel. Actually, the new bike probably gets better millage.

Even if this new sv gets into the 60's, its quite an accomplishment.

Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - SV650 - 2017 - SV650A

Also, what is this about?

"

Refined EFI system with Low RPM Assist makes take offs smooth and pleasant.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts