GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody!!!

This is my first guide in this forum. Today, I manage to swap my rear shock with Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R.
I will list all the item and step (with some picture) to swap the shock on GSX-S1000. I only decat my exhaust and reuse the original exhaust muffler so require some cutting the original exhaust hanger.

Rear shock dimension: -

Standard
Length:330mm
Top mount:30mm
Bottom mount:30mm

ZX-10R
Length:300mm
Top mount:30mm
Bottom mount:36mm

Item require: -
1) Kawasaki ZX-10R Year 2016-2020 (Use $63+shipping $108.21=$171.21)
2) Suzuki GSX-R1000 Year 09-11 Linkage (Use $10+shipping $11.65=$27.73)
3) 8x Screw washers ($0.75)

OK let start!!!

1. Put your bike on paddock stand (front & back) (Abba stand will be great)
2. Remove the exhaust muffler
3. Remove the mid pipe
4. Remove your back tire (loosen the brake hose from swingarm and ABS wire)
5. I use car jack stand to support the bike before remove the rear shock
6. Remove 3 bolt from the original linkage (Shock-socket 12mm&14mm) (Swingarm and body-socket 14mm&17mm)
7. Remove upper shock bolt (Allen key 10mm and socket 12mm)
8. Pull down the standard rear shock
9. Remove exhaust hanger (socket 12mm)
10. Push up the swingarm and insert the ZX10 shock from below.
11. Make sure the shock adjustment is facing the rear brake for easy setting (Compression and Rebound)
12. Insert the shock top bolt and tie up with 50n-m of torque
13. Temporary insert all bolt with GSX-R linkage at the bottom of the shock (shock, swingarm and body)
14. Tie up the shock bolt at 50n-m of torque
15. Due to the ZX-10 bottom shock size is 6mm large, we need to add 2x screw washers in between the GSX-R linkage (See picture below)
16. (Skip this is you already replace with Full exhaust system) Cut the right-side exhaust hanger. This hanger requires to mount exhaust mid pipe (See picture below)
17. Tie up the exhaust hanger with 10n-m of torque
18. Tie up the swingarm and body bolt to 80n-m of torque (use medium strength thread lock)
19. check for clearance (See picture below)
20. Install rear tire
21. Place back the brake hose and ABS wire to swing arm
22. Remove car jack stand
23. Install back exhaust mid pipe
23. Install back exhaust muffler (18n-m for exhaust join & 31n-m to foot rest)
24. Test ride and setting the compression and rebound
25. Finish and enjoy your new rear shock.

Pros:
1. Not require to customize the linkage. direct swap with GSX-R linkage
2. Stable high-speed cornering
3. Smooth feeling when run over the speed bump or uneven road condition
4. Same seat high with standard rear shock

Cons:
1. Unable to set the preload. Require to take out the shock from bike to setup the preload
2. Bolt length is too short. Need to change the bolt or use screw thread lock (See picture below)

feel free to anything about this rear shock swap.
Sorry for my bad English and unclear instruction.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Nice write-up and pics. I guess the important question is, how much did it improve the ride?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice write-up and pics. I guess the important question is, how much did it improve the ride?
After the swap, I take a short ride to check any rubbing issue. So far no rubbing issue between the shock and swingarm. The ride quality improves a lot. I can feel more grip when taking corners (I use Michelin Power 5). This morning I try high-speed acceleration and the bike feel smooth. Did not feel any squats from the rear end.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i just ordered a Ktech razor shock just a few weeks ago , if i would have known i would have saved alot of money , i have a brand new zx10 rear shock with 3k miles , in my garage , My brother just installed an Ohlins shock on his 2020 zx10 so his zx10 shock is sitting in my garage bin

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just ordered a Ktech razor shock just a few weeks ago , if i would have known i would have saved alot of money , i have a brand new zx10 rear shock with 3k miles , in my garage , My brother just installed an Ohlins shock on his 2020 zx10 so his zx10 shock is sitting in my garage bin
I think the Ktech razor will perform better than the ZX10 shock. My ZX10 shock is only about 8k miles.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i already bit the bullet . so im gonna install the K tech once the weather gets warm but i would had done the zedex10 mod .

·
Registered
586 Posts
Did you get the preload right the first Time ?
Sound more of a question for demping for compression and rebound.
Preload is determined by static sag. Usually a trial and error, as are most if not all suspension changes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you get the preload right the first Time ?
I forget to change the setting when mounting this shock (too excited) but the ZX10 standard setting is good for me (preload, rebound, and compression). I weigh around 83 kg.

·
Registered
GSX S1000F
13 Posts
Excellent post Didi I was just looking at the R1 shock but now this is a good choice aswell. I'm 18st so standard preload wouldn't be correct for me haha

·
Registered
847 Posts
Excellent post Didi I was just looking at the R1 shock but now this is a good choice aswell. I'm 18st so standard preload wouldn't be correct for me haha
At that weight I'd consider coughing up for a new shock with a spring matched to your weight. Wilbers, Ktech etc

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At that weight I'd consider coughing up for a new shock with a spring matched to your weight. Wilbers, Ktech etc
If you have extra money, better go with aftermarket shock but if you prefer to improve the ride quality, this ZX10 shock swap is a good option. With proper SAG and setting, you can take any corner with confident and joy. I did a track day last month at Sepang International Circuit(SIC) and i improve my lap time from 2:59 (standard shock, Power Cup 2) to 2:47 (ZX10 shock, Power Cup 2).

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you have extra money, better go with aftermarket shock but if you prefer to improve the ride quality, this ZX10 shock swap is a good option. With proper SAG and setting, you can take any corner with confident and joy. I did a track day last month at Sepang International Circuit(SIC) and i improve my lap time from 2:59 (standard shock, Power Cup 2) to 2:47 (ZX10 shock, Power Cup 2).
i also ride track days with stock suspension ( have adjust it ) but on high speed ( 2 -3 gear ) bike starts to shaking rear end , like ship swimming in ocean . it's very scary . did you have same problems with stock suspension ??

·
Registered
480 Posts
My traction control light constantly flashed with the stock shock. Our riding group consists of group A riders, so very fast paced. Once I went to the R1 I don’t remember the last time I saw it flash. The rear grip is so much better along with the ride. I’m around 200lbs with gear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts