GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi,

I bought a air of Barkbuster Carbon handguards to help with the chill this winter. They are slightly smaller then the storm but I wanted something that looked good and didn't affect the steering lock of the bike.

Single Point Mount - Barkbusters

They cost £160 from CHAINSPEED - High Quality Motorcycle Accessories

Tomorrow will be the first day I get to use them as the weather has dropped to 0 degrees c tomorrow so I will report back. For now take a look at what they look like in case you are thinking of something similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi - I have got the Suzuki Heated Grips which are rubbish. I am going to be asking them to replace them with something that works. I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ive got oxford sport grips . They operate brilliantly.
fitted them easy job. Got them thrown in when i bought my bike.
let us know how the handguards perform. Cheers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am thinking about going with a 7v battery powered heated glove. Heated grips only warm the palm where as the glove heats the whole hand. My wife wears them on her bike and loves them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I had Acerbis guards on my Street Triple without heated grips and they were pretty effective around zero degrees C with decent winter gloves. Still got cold but not numbingly so - biggest problem was finger tips which hurt. Just before I sold the Triple, I switched to Gerbing G3 heated gloves. Only used them twice before the warmer weather but they kept the entire hands perfectly warm.

Wish I'd bought them sooner. I'd always been put off by electrical cables but in reality, it's no hassle at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on how I got on.

This morning was 0 degrees c when I left for work around6:20am. I decided to try my autumn gloves first. I had a 5 mile journey to mylocal petrol station. The fastest speed I got up to was around 60mph and atthat point I knew I had to switch to my winter gloves.

After my fuel stop and a change of gloves I headed towardsthe motorway. My first issue was that my bulky gloves were a little bit of asqueeze on my handle bars. The hand guards did come with spaces but I neverused then because I tested them with my autumn gloved. D’oh!!! I had my heatedgrips turned right up, and I must say they are worse then I first thought. Theright one doesn’t even come on and the left take about 10 minutes to kick in.

I travelled no faster than 80mph and by the time I got to a50mph zone which was around 15 miles, my fingertips were numbing. My hands atno point were warm but I can also say they weren’t uncomfortable cold apartfrom my tips. So the guards did work.

For £160 I think you can get a really good set of headedgloves. The reason why I never went for heated gloves is that I thought I wouldget more use from heated grips cause you can use them for days were it is acold start but warms up. That was my only reason and in hindsight I could justtravel with two sets of gloves. So I probably regret the hand guard purchase.

I don’t like winter gloves as it take the feeling away fromthe bike. Which is another reason why headed gloves might work better.

Are the hand guards a good investment? Probably not, you canbuy a set of muffs for £30 that make the bike look dog ugly but will keep youwarm and dry and you can use your normal gloves which is a bonus.

I think I am going to sell the my winter gloves and investin a pair of headed gloves. I am also going to get Suzuki to take their crapheated grips off my bike and replace them with Oxford heated grips.

After doing this I will have all bases covered and if mywife hears me complain about the cold I will give her full permission to smackmy head.

·
Registered
647 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts