GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference between 1" and 1 1/8" handlebars? I wouldn't think so but I've been wrong on stuff like this before when I'm ordering parts. I assume some companies just call their 1 1/8" bars 1" bars, is that correct?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Called Revzilla, they answered my question. the 1" is different from 1 1/8", obviously they are two different measurements but I wasn't sure if it was a labeling difference between companies or something weird.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get that. Hard to describe but recently I came upon a product that was labeled weird and it turned out to be the exact same thing as another product I was looking at. So imagine if I ordered those 1" bars and they actually turned out to be 1 1/8" bars but the manufacture just labeled them 1" because it's close enough to 1 1/8" ya know? It happened to me a while back and I wanted to be sure the 1" bars were a completely separate category than the 7/8" and 1 1/8" bars. Now I know and maybe one of the 90 ish people that looked at this post do as well ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't think our bar is either of those 3 listed on their site. I suspect it's a one-off design for the GSXS but manufactured by a 3rd party, and Renthal licensed their name/brand. One of those might be close, though, and one would have to take measurements.

The OEM bar costs... a lot. Like 250 - 330 USD depending on the seller. Renthal is selling their bar for 82 USD. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an agreement between Suzuki and Renthal. If you use the "Fit my Bike" feature you'll see that no handlebars show up in the results.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I don't think our bar is either of those 3 listed on their site. I suspect it's a one-off design for the GSXS but manufactured by a 3rd party, and Renthal licensed their name/brand. One of those might be close, though, and one would have to take measurements.

The OEM bar costs... a lot. Like 250 - 330 USD depending on the seller. Renthal is selling their bar for 82 USD. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an agreement between Suzuki and Renthal. If you use the "Fit my Bike" feature you'll see that no handlebars show up in the results.
I noticed that too. I thought it still might be one of the ones listed. I'll have to measure mine and see. I'm curious about how they would compare measurement wise to those on the site. They do mention being OEM on Suzuki.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I did a bit more research and came up empty, so I pulled out the tape measure. My OEM bars are much more narrow than anything listed on their site. I came in at 724mm which puts the "Street Low" on the radar. The rest is hard to measure with all the controls on, but I think the rise is in the vicinity of the "Street Low".

I removed the clamp to see if I could find anything more revealing. There's a reference to a few U.S. patent numbers (very dry stuff). There's the "832 54032" stamp. Another stamp that is "QA 161".

The OEM part number is 56111-04K10. It looks like it's the same for MY 17 and 18. MY 15 and 16 have a different part number (and maybe a different bar?..).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I ever have to get a new bar - let's say I "drop the bike" - I'd get the Street Low and trim a few cm off the ends.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I did a bit more research and came up empty, so I pulled out the tape measure. My OEM bars are much more narrow than anything listed on their site. I came in at 724mm which puts the "Street Low" on the radar. The rest is hard to measure with all the controls on, but I think the rise is in the vicinity of the "Street Low".

I removed the clamp to see if I could find anything more revealing. There's a reference to a few U.S. patent numbers (very dry stuff). There's the "832 54032" stamp. Another stamp that is "QA 161".

The OEM part number is 56111-04K10. It looks like it's the same for MY 17 and 18. MY 15 and 16 have a different part number (and maybe a different bar?..).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I ever have to get a new bar - let's say I "drop the bike" - I'd get the Street Low and trim a few cm off the ends.
I like the stock bars, but I'm sure some folks might want to change things up a bit one direction or the other, so it's nice to know how it compares.

Thanks for doing the measurements!

·
Registered
98 Posts

I just talked to Renthal, they said ours is a one off for Suzuki but the three they offer will fit in theory. I bet the lows are sweet for aggressive riding, 1" lower and a little more sweep

Here's the dimensions for Ours / Low / Street / Naked

A -724 / 766 / 769 / 780 / Width

B - 106 / 80 / 98 / 105 / Height

C -57 / 50 / 64 / 70 / Rise

E - 40 / 50 / 72 / 86 / Sweep

F -200 / 190 / 195 / 210 / Control Length

·
Registered
6 Posts
Timely post! Thanks for sharing the measurement info.

I just got a set of the street lows that I'll be installing. I was wondering what the width difference was from stock.

·
Registered
358 Posts

I just got a set of the street lows that I'll be installing. I was wondering what the width difference was from stock.
Really tempted to get the naked because I want that supermoto feel and I can't use risers due to the Toby stabilizer. Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Really tempted to get the naked because I want that supermoto feel and I can't use risers due to the Toby stabilizer. Let us know how it goes.

Install went well. Cut a little over half inch off each side. No problem with cable lengths. Could probably cut a little less off and be fine if you want wider. Riding position is vastly improved in my opinion. I also was wanting a more supermoto feel and this achieves it. No more ackward wrist angle from the stock bars.
Now I just need to get the bar ends sorted. Rentals have a thicker wall, so I'm going to modify some k6 1000 bar ends I have to fit.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Install went well. Cut a little over half inch off each side. No problem with cable lengths. Could probably cut a little less off and be fine if you want wider. Riding position is vastly improved in my opinion. I also was wanting a more supermoto feel and this achieves it. No more ackward wrist angle from the stock bars.

Now I just need to get the bar ends sorted. Rentals have a thicker wall, so I'm going to modify some k6 1000 bar ends I have to fit.
Wouldn't an increased height, like the street naked, give a more supermoto feel? I would figure the street low would be even lower height than stock?

Do you think there's enough cable length for the street naked?

Are you saying the stock bar ends (and bar end mirrors that fit stock) don't fit?

And I take it you have to drill into the bar to fit the positioning tabs in the control switch housings?

·
Registered
6 Posts
For me, the supermoto feel comes more from a bar that is straighter across than higher. The riding position is already upright enough, but the sweep in the stock bars felt very awkward. It gave the bars a narrow feel and brought the elbows down unlike a dirt bike/supermoto bar that feels wider, straighter, and keeps the elbows up. With the lows, I would say the height feels very similar to stock if not a little bit more upright. I cut mine down to a similar width to stock maybe slightly wider, but they feel wider because they are straighter across.

I doubt there would be enough throttle cable for the nakeds without cutting them down. A couple cm on each side wider than stock would be maximum I would guess.

Stock bar ends use a welded nut in the handlebar, not the typical compressed rubber. You could reuse the stock ones with a longer bolt, a couple washers, a nut, and some rubber tubing that fits inside the handlebar. The Renthals have a thicker wall thickness than other bars so the rubber insert needs to be narrower than on standard bar ends. I have some other bar ends that I like better than the stock ones, so am going to set those up to use.

You can drill out the bar for the positioning tabs if you want, but I just snipped them off. They still snug down plenty tight, and now have more adjustability to get the controls exactly where I want them.

·
Registered
358 Posts
For me, the supermoto feel comes more from a bar that is straighter across than higher. The riding position is already upright enough, but the sweep in the stock bars felt very awkward. It gave the bars a narrow feel and brought the elbows down unlike a dirt bike/supermoto bar that feels wider, straighter, and keeps the elbows up. With the lows, I would say the height feels very similar to stock if not a little bit more upright. I cut mine down to a similar width to stock maybe slightly wider, but they feel wider because they are straighter across.

I doubt there would be enough throttle cable for the nakeds without cutting them down. A couple cm on each side wider than stock would be maximum I would guess.

Stock bar ends use a welded nut in the handlebar, not the typical compressed rubber. You could reuse the stock ones with a longer bolt, a couple washers, a nut, and some rubber tubing that fits inside the handlebar. The Renthals have a thicker wall thickness than other bars so the rubber insert needs to be narrower than on standard bar ends. I have some other bar ends that I like better than the stock ones, so am going to set those up to use.

You can drill out the bar for the positioning tabs if you want, but I just snipped them off. They still snug down plenty tight, and now have more adjustability to get the controls exactly where I want them.
Thanks, I'll look into the lows then. I have a pretty short reach so the closer the bars are, the better.

Sucks about the stock bar ends not fitting though. I have my bar end mirrors on the outside of the bar ends so my clutch lever doesn't keep hitting the mirror. Have you noticed the bar having considerably more vibration without the bar ends?

·
Registered
98 Posts

Do you have the F or naked? I'm curious how the low's fit with the fairing.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts