GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

This is my first post here on the forum and I'm sure it may seem strange to post about another manufacturer. Here's the thing: I'm a Suzuki guy. I've owned and enjoyed other Japanese bikes but Suzuki feels right to me. I recently sold my Honda CBR 1000rr to buy my 2016 GSXS1000F. I don't regret it at all. Now I have days where I'm in the mood for my GSXR1000 and others when I feel like the GSXS1000F (especially with passenger). While researching the GSXS1000F I kept seeing comparisons to the Aprilla (as well as other bikes) and the Aprilla just seemed to dominate all the shoutouts, tests, reviews, etc.

I have no Aprilla dealer closer than 2 1/2 hours away. I sat on a 2013 at a local dealer. It felt great except for the most uncomfortable seat I can remember. I am told the 2016 Aprilla seat is much softer. I haven't ridden an Aprilla.

For some reason, I can't get the Tuono out of my head and am looking at them again. Can anyone share some experiences they have had either with Aprilla or the Tuono. Logically, it seems like a mistake with no local dealer but It really has my attention.

Thanks in advance for any perspective.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Daveman, I'd be interested as well. As much as I love my Sazook, the Tuono seems to be the only naked with any real "draw" for me. Primarily, the outstanding electronics such as cruise control and now this year ('17) auto downshifting (I think one could get some actual usage out of that). But my biggest bugboos with them was the cost of maintenance (high) and mileage (low like 30 or less). Beyond that, have never ridden or known anyone who owned one. Perhaps I should save myself and remain an Italiphobe when it comes to motorcycles?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I love the look and specs of the latest model but don't like the price.
Australian motorcycle magazine recently voted it no1 bike of the year .

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ive owned several Aprilia,s RSV , Tuono , brilliant machines when bike is running well, but I had many issues with both bikes they were the vee 2 models. A riding and track day buddy of mine bought a v4 Aprilia , he had electrical and gearbox issues, so sold the v4 and bought a Tuono v2 which yep you guessed it ....electrical problems. I bought a gsxs1ooo as it seemed a good bet for trackdays and fast road. I will never buy another Aprilia again , if you go on the Aprilia forums and facebook pages they are full of owners with horror stories . BTW I have an Aprilia dealer 4 miles from my house , and I have Aprilia Performance who are brilliant technichians about 20 miles up the road from me. The Aprilias have fantastic chassis , strong engine and brilliant finish. The Suzuki is not that far behind in terms of handling , has a good strong engine but is reliable. I am going to replace rear shock and I think the gsxs will be a match in terms of handling . I generally do 10 track days or more a year. I hope you guys find this info usefull. One more thing the suzuki returns much better mpg than both the vee 2 and v4 .

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had the first generation Tuono, loved it to bits. Would love the new one and would buy it if 1) I had lots of disposable income to blow on a bike 2) their dealer network was any good, which it isn't. John Sample Automotive are the primary importer and despite lots of promises they can't seem to grow the marque beyond a niche market here in Aus. Spare parts? Bought them from the US cheaper than here. Shame - great bikes.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Do not mistake , tuono 1000 were prone to lot of problems
95% of that was solved with new 1100 unit
on my gsx i did : front fork cartridge, rear shock , rearset, pc5 (with quickshifter), sbs front pads , braided lines , yoshi can
so it s more easy to compare to
my 1100 factory ,akra can , radial front master , reworked öhlins front/rear

Sure gsx had to pay bit of torque and HP
also handling is for both really good (tuono is not a bike for city run BTW)
what let down the gsx is the ****ty TC , aprilia APRC is light years evolved
but U get what u pay for ;)

my 20 cents...

Reactions: ludster

·
Registered
204 Posts
Owned a first generation Tuono for 8 months but rode it for less than 3 rest of the time it was at its second home ie the delaer. I used to ride my suzuki to go see it during visting hours. I also think the dealer network pricy services and parts are somthing you need to consider. I personally will never go down that road again even if they are voted best bike by people who havent tried to own one for any lengh of time.

to sum up

looks nice
on paper its the dogs thingys
it fails badly to live up to the hype or deliver on what is promised.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You mention "with a passenger" in your post. I can attest that the Suzuki sort of sucks for riding 2 up. It was plenty of power and handles fine but the passenger sit is tiny and on a pretty big sloping angle towards the rider. No remote preload adjustment either. Would say that after 100lbs worth of passenger it is not as fun.
My girlfriend loves the speed of the Suzuki and how it looks but when given the choice for rides over 45mins both she and I prefer my Triumph Bonneville with its nice wide flat seat.

Guessing the Tuono is not much better for 2 up. In the end these are sportbikes which are dressed in street clothes.
I too always had a thing for the Tuono but dealership support around me is sparce at best. Plus I love the Japanese dependability. Gas, oil and tires and your good for years.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Tuono factory is not intended for pillion transport ...
with RR version will be better
@Mythic , that's why ,i waited till 2016 to buy an Aprilia
first gen/1000cc are not 2nd gen 1100
also old version front is pretty UGLY

·
Registered
719 Posts
just chiming in for fun, though Ive not owned an aprilla. The one thing I keep hearing about aprilla is the high cost of ownership and the frequent and long times at the shop, and thats what would kill me. Unless you have multiple bikes that would be torture and even then who wants t have something in the shop all the time. As good as the euro bikes seem to be (BMW, Aprilla and triumph in particular), servicing cost and ownership experience in general are repeatedly mentioned as the reasons someone didn't buy......any bike that I can actually ride wins hands down over a bike that I cant.

·
Registered
333 Posts
forgot ducati, ktm and mv agusta

1 - 11 of 11 Posts