GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted saddleman and they do not make a seat for our bike-- I am trying to get a hold of sargentseats- if I can not find a seat I am considering t-rex lowering plate drop 1.5 inches?? USA rider-- I would rather just get a lower seat then do the linkage-- any help I would appreciate THANK YOU in advance--

·
Registered
280 Posts
I lowered my 2016 F model by 20mm (approx 3/4 inch) rear and lowered the front 12mm. I have noticed no ill effects on handling and am very happy with the mod. I weigh less than 140 lbs. I suspect that 1.5 inches is too much.

I also had a local welder cut 3/4 inch cut out of kick stand.

I wish I could ride it today but its too cold. The temp here in Florida is only going up to 70 degrees. Ha ha.

·
Registered
280 Posts
For posterity, Saddlemen do make a seat for the GSXS1000 - the GP-V1. However, it does not lower the overall seat height. If anything it raises it a smidge.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Lost is correct. I have a Saddlemen on my bike and my posterity loves it. It's worth the extra smidge in height, even if I did have to put 20 mm lowering triangles on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have Soupy's Performance all steel adjustable lowering link to put on my wife's F. If you're not familiar with them they allow you to dial them in to the perfect height for the operator with out using predetermined settings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have Soupy's Performance all steel adjustable lowering link to put on my wife's F. If you're not familiar with them they allow you to dial them in to the perfect height for the operator with out using predetermined settings.
I'm riding an sv650 which has a saddle height of 785mm. The gsx s1000 is 810mm, 25mm or 1" higher. I cannot be flat foot on the sv and since the gsx is heavier, it seems to me that I'll need to be able to lower it by 2" at least, to have some confidence. Is this feasible?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Being short in the leg I tried lowering my bike using Lust racing links. Lowered the yokes (Triple tree US?) 12mm at the same time.

Seemed okay but I still wasn't flat foot so took off the links, kept the 12mm drop on the front though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have short-ish legs and can flat foot on mine. Be wary of just going by seat height as I have struggled with bikes of a similar height because of the shape of the seat. If the seat has a narrower front part it can make all the difference.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I lowered my GSXSF1000 with Lust Racing lowering kit from the UK, and like Rusty (see in this thread) had the front forks slid through the triple clamps to marry the back lowering to the front, then had a welder cut a piece out of the side stand. I am 5' 4" and can get both feet flat now with the standard seat. Handling seems unimpeded.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm riding an sv650 which has a saddle height of 785mm. The gsx s1000 is 810mm, 25mm or 1" higher. I cannot be flat foot on the sv and since the gsx is heavier, it seems to me that I'll need to be able to lower it by 2" at least, to have some confidence. Is this feasible?
I installed the Soups links this weekend. My kit was supplied with both a stainless steel turn buckle and triangle plates for additional lowering if desired. According to the manufacturer the two could be combined for a total of 4"-4.5" of lowering. Can't imagine anyone doing that but its there if you want it. I used only the stainless turnbuckle with the OEM triangle plates. Lowered the forks 12mm in the front. You'll not want to exceed that due to the fork diameter shrinking at that point.

..... Be wary of just going by seat height ....If the seat has a narrower front part it can make all the difference.
This^^^ Also IMO the GSXSf has a lower center of gravity compared to other standards I've owned and ridden.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed the Soups links this weekend. My kit was supplied with both a stainless steel turn buckle and triangle plates for additional lowering if desired. According to the manufacturer the two could be combined for a total of 4"-4.5" of lowering. Can't imagine anyone doing that but its there if you want it. I used only the stainless turnbuckle with the OEM triangle plates. Lowered the forks 12mm in the front. You'll not want to exceed that due to the fork diameter shrinking at that point.

Can you please clarify what do you mean by you used OEM triangle? The one supplied by Soups? They claim the turnbuckle alone can lower by up to 4"? Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
OEM, the original ones that came on the bike.
Ok,
can you please tell by how much could you finally lower the seat given the restriction you mentioned re the front?

On the overall would you recommend their links?

I dont have yet a gsx but if i had one i think I'll need to lower the saddle by 50mm and so far Soupy’s performance is the only i found claiming they can do it though for a quit salted price

·
Registered
32 Posts
Theirs are the only ones I would recommend because to my knowledge they are the only ones that produce all steel turnbuckles. I'm no expert in the matter but I have owned at least four other sets of theirs not including these over the years on either my wife's bikes or mine when setting up for LSR events or 1/4 mile races. Otherwise I prefer my bikes stock height usually. My wife is 5'4" and it is set up for her now. I did not measure the height of the seat either before or after lowering it.

I think your getting to hung up on seat height. Different seats will compress differently and has been mentioned earlier the width of the seat can make a hudge difference. One of my son's rides an SV1k. I'm pretty sure if you're ridding an SV650 that a GSXS could be set up to your liking. They seem to be great bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts