GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlikely I could get a decent test ride on one of them and I'm trying to decide between the two. I think I'd prefer the F on looks alone but if the FA actually provides some coverage on the freeway I'd have to consider that version as well. Also, if one runs hotter than the other in the city I'd have to take that into consideration as well.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Any one who has the naked wouldnt be seen riding the fairy version
And fairy riders dont have balls for the naked version

Awaiting flaming ;-)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Seriously though I hear that the faired version is obviously better for mile munching as you have something to hide behind.
The faired version also seems to be more planted in the front end at speed.
As regards running temps I dont think they vary much as they pretty efficient at keeping cool regardless of their enviroment

·
Registered
152 Posts
I test rode the F and bought the naked. Only real difference was less wind on the highway with the F.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Unlikely I could get a decent test ride on one of them and I'm trying to decide between the two. I think I'd prefer the F on looks alone but if the FA actually provides some coverage on the freeway I'd have to consider that version as well. Also, if one runs hotter than the other in the city I'd have to take that into consideration as well.

Ditch, the FA designation just means the faired model with antilock brakes. It is the only faired model sold in USA.

·
Registered
112 Posts
the only differences seem to be weight and the front suspension being set up for more downforce due to the fairing

Have read a couple of reviews suggesting the front suspension performance on the F is better(?) perhaps due to the extra drop of oil in them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Rusty, As a Sonoran desert dweller, I can vouch the F model has no heat issues (my personal best last summer was 116 F). Other than the fan came on at a street light, there were no signs of heat "trauma" like pinging, broiling inside legs, etc. And don't be fooled, the F riders are not budget buyers, they know they don't have to settle for wind blast, and generally have higher self-esteem based on the knowledge of their higher riding skills, and don't have to revert to demeaning labeling or name calling of those less fortunate. And L10 was partly correct but had the body part wrong, we don't have "the stomach" for the naked version. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
The F Touring version comes with a much taller screen, and has no wind blast at even max speed, it gets a little buffeting at the sides. hope this helps with the op's question.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've ridd n both and there's more to it than simply wind protection. At higher speeds and brisk acceleration the front end on the baked can be unstable. The F is an acquired taste on looks, looking awesome from all angles except head on but that fairing adds significant downforce at speed, providing greater stability, as well as the obvious benefits of wind and rain protection. The forks and damped differently also, adding to ride stability.

Finally being an acquired taste in the looks department is also a bonus as there will be less of them on the road.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I test rode both and even coming from a kind of naked GSX1400 the naked felt weird for me not seeing anything in front of me while riding and I felt like I was sitting on the front tyre, nothing was in view unless I looked down, I never rode either at high speed so I'm no help their

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I went to look at my first FA and it's a great deal but I don't know if I can handle the looks, it's really awkward looking and I don't like the bird look at all. I have a Bandit 1250 anyway so I've got my high speed miles covered.

There's a grey F model w ABS near me, what is it like caring for that color?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I went to look at my first FA and it's a great deal but I don't know if I can handle the looks, it's really awkward looking and I don't like the bird look at all. I have a Bandit 1250 anyway so I've got my high speed miles covered.

There's a grey F model w ABS near me, what is it like caring for that color?
TBH grey was my last choice. Fortunately I had a choice of all 3, so I picked the fastest one :D

There is a grey one at my work that the owner has blinged up with anodized pinky/red bits that does make it look pretty good. The best visual mod you can do is get rid of that awful rear guard for a nice tail tidy :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have ridden both bikes. For me, F model (with fairings) is in a bit of a strange category of motorcycles. The bike's fairings are not designed to give it aero dynamics at high speed, because the bike does not go to 190 mph. On the other end of the spectrum the fairings are not tailored to give a lot of wind protection that one comes to expect from a sport touring motorcycle. So it kinda sits in the middle between super sport and a sport tourer, but does not quite get either job done as well as the originals. That being said, I am sure it offers more wind protection than the naked.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would disagree with obijack. I test rode the naked and bought the F without even riding it because it was what I wanted. The naked was emense fun but as soon as I took delivery of my F, I was very happy with the different characteristics. The screen is efficient enough making it's top speed perfectly comfortable and the design of the faring makes it feel so well planted when cruising at high speed. At low speeds I couldn't really feel any difference between the two. My only wish would be to make it look a little less 'pregnant' from some angles!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have ridden both bikes. For me, F model (with fairings) is in a bit of a strange category of motorcycles. The bike's fairings are not designed to give it aero dynamics at high speed, because the bike does not go to 190 mph. On the other end of the spectrum the fairings are not tailored to give a lot of wind protection that one comes to expect from a sport touring motorcycle. So it kinda sits in the middle between super sport and a sport tourer, but does not quite get either job done as well as the originals. That being said, I am sure it offers more wind protection than the naked.
I'd agree, it's a somewhere in the middle bike. It didn't do much wind protecting for me, nowhere near a gsxr or cbr. Odviously better than a stock naked but hardly any diffent than a naked with a screen imo

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
You need to do more research. The fairings on the F give 20kgs of down force at 120mph. Quote taken from visordown!

·
Registered
90 Posts
You need to do more research. The fairings on the F give 20kgs of down force at 120mph. Quote taken from visordown!
Ok so what does the naked generate at those speeds? Did visor down spend $20k to put the bike in a wind tunnel? I said 190 mph, not 120. In any event, what I said it is true, wether you guys who bought the bike want to hear it or not. The bike doesn't have full fairings like a fjr or concours to make it a sport touring motorcycle. And the bike doesn't have the aero dynamics of a superbike. Both true statements, irregardless of the reasons why. Plus it is ugly as **** when you compare it to a superbike. To me, it looks like it wants to be a superbike. And I don't like that. I like the naked because it is unique and doesn't try to poorly fit into a motorcycle category.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ok so what does the naked generate at those speeds? Did visor down spend $20k to put the bike in a wind tunnel? I said 190 mph, not 120. In any event, what I said it is true, wether you guys who bought the bike want to hear it or not. The bike doesn't have full fairings like a fjr or concours to make it a sport touring motorcycle. And the bike doesn't have the aero dynamics of a superbike. Both true statements, irregardless of the reasons why. Plus it is ugly as **** when you compare it to a superbike. To me, it looks like it wants to be a superbike. And I don't like that. I like the naked because it is unique and doesn't try to poorly fit into a motorcycle category.
Don't be a muppet. That's an EXTRA 20kgs at 120. Read up in the bike before posting ****!

·
Registered
72 Posts
As you said it is in the middle and, as the Ninja 1000, fill a niche in the market. I do a lot of very fast touring ( as many twisty roads that I can find) and those type of bikes are exactly what i need.
I don't want an heavy sport touring bike ( concours,FJR,etc) and a full sport do not have the right seating position and steering leverage for the type of roads that i do.
For me the main drawback for the GSX, was/is the lack of factory top box. I waited 1 year to buy it, until Givi made a rack for it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts