GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I've posted this in the correct section, if not I'm sorry!

Right people I need help!!

I took my bike out for a ride today as the weather was nice, going nice and easy as I'm getting the mileage up for its first service. What I've noticed today was when braking i.e. Coming to a stop at lights or junctions I hear a very odd humming noise from the front brakes, if I pull the lever a little harder it feels like either a vibration or judder sensation through the handle bars? Could this be as simple as a bit of crap on the discs/pads or as bad as warped discs?

Any help or ideas on this would be great as it's got me a little worried! Thanks in advance gsxs family!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Have you ever had the ABS kick in to know what that feels like? I would inspect the ABS rotor, make sure all the slots are clear and nothing bent, binding or rubbing. Would also clean the rotors with brake cleaner and maybe sand with some fine sandpaper. I guess it could be a warped disc, but that doesn't appear to be a common problem. If you have a front stand you can lift it and spin the wheel. I suppose the ABS unit could also be faulty - that would definitely be a dealer warranty issue.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've had something similar - coming to a stop it felt like I was driving over a rumble strip. I read that can be related to stopping with the forks bottomed out, and honestly I haven't felt it since I had my suspension worked on a couple of weeks ago.

However I still get a 'hum' or a ring from the front brakes. The first time I heard it I thought I was being honked at! I ride with ear plugs so it took me awhile to realize it was my bike. Now I can get it to do it every once in a while by rolling slowly forward and back. My plan this weekend is to clean up the front brakes, check the rotors and caliper pistons, etc.

Of course I took it to a dealer and they said everything was normal. I also get a 'click' where it feels like one of the right pistons is hung up, then releases. I can feel it in the lever (very slightly), and it makes a noise at the rotor. I should get to it tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
974 Posts
My front brakes made a slight squeal early on but nothing now, give them time to wear in, your not just running in the engine your running in the bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My front brakes made a slight squeal early on but nothing now, give them time to wear in, your not just running in the engine your running in the bike.
+1 the Brembos do make a slight humm sound when applied on my bike also.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Different pads make different noises.... at the end of the day it's basically an angle grinder being used ... just called brakes.
Try an Italian sports bike and you'll hear some crazy moans from the brakes.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I don't hear any noise from my front brakes coming to normal stop as I release the brake at about 5 - 10 kph and stop with the rear (assuming level ground).
So basically I stop with equal 'feeling' of pressure on both brakes in the stopping process say at traffic lights. No front end dive wanted, just smooth stopping.

General breaking is also with both front and rear brakes in action with more emphasis on the front end. So when I press the front, it's usually a firm pressure, intended to brake to a stop, and use the rear to trim the bike before entering a turn.

I try not to glaze the pads in running in. I pick quiet down hill, put the brakes on quite firmly from 60 to 10 kph about 6 times over a first trip ride, and the brakes are always fine after that, having done this on my many many bikes.

Rob.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! I'm going to replace my pads soon, had a look at my discs when I was giving her a clean today, nothing obvious, how do I de glaze pads/discs if that's a thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Thanks everyone! I'm going to replace my pads soon, had a look at my discs when I was giving her a clean today, nothing obvious, how do I de glaze pads/discs if that's a thing?

Hi Michael, just get some wet & dry emery paper. The grit is always black in colour, and comes in different grit to the square inch sizes.
I suggest 240. You wont need more than 1 sheet and it's reasonably cheap, say 1 Pound for you at the Hardware shops.
It's called wet & dry, as the backing paper can be used immersed totally in water or oil and not fall apart.
Don't get sandpaper, as it's glass for a grit and that breaks off, embeds into the face of the pad and scores the disc.

Just find a very level surface to place the paper on, so the pad is really flat and rub the pads lightly till you get a new surface across the pad.
Glass is a really flat surface if you have a old shaving mirror or spare window pane handy, what ever you find handy, just don't rub the pad in your one hand and use your fingers or thumb of the other.

You should have a close look at the amount off high temperature grease on the back of the pads too, as that could be the issue as Google would have already told you no doubt.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Hi Michael,
Get some 340 or finer wet and dry grit paper from the hardware shops (it's cheap, say 1 pound).
It's always black on the grit side, and lightly and evenly rub the pad('s) with the paper backing placed on a really flat surface, till you get a fresh surface.
Sandpaper or glass paper is a 'no no' as it breaks off into the pad surface and will score the disc's.

Rob.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also getting this humming sound from the front rotors on braking. On checking the discs i found one of the discs to be bent. This shouldn't be the case on a 3 month old bike. Dealer is refusing to give warranty for rotors so ordering Galfer rotors. Have changed the pads also but noise persists.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
It's very common with drilled rotors, especially with hard braking. I wouldn't worry unless you have a pulsing sensation under your hand or an uneven braking feel as the wheel is slowing down.
They are also known to make a loud click when first initiating the the brake. On older bikes I would be telling you to inspect the disc rings which join the disc to the inner rotor but on a newer bike like ours it's normally down to a small amount of slack between the pad and the caliper. As the brake is applied the pad tries to spin with the disc and then gets stopped by the caliper wall.It's only a small amount but it's quite loud sometimes.
I replaced my pads and it stopped. The new pads still buzz when I'm braking hard though.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I am also getting this humming sound from the front rotors on braking. On checking the discs i found one of the discs to be bent. This shouldn't be the case on a 3 month old bike. Dealer is refusing to give warranty for rotors so ordering Galfer rotors. Have changed the pads also but noise persists.
Beaker is correct,,

Do keep in mind theres no law that says you cannot straighten a disc.

I ran a straightened disc for 5000 miles, without issue.

I had a situation where bike a tipped into bike b, and the bar from bike b hit the front rotor of bike c.

It was bent, badly. A point to where the wheel would not turn.

I used a 2 large crescent wrenches and a dial indicator. It took me two hours, but it was finally bent back to be within factory specs.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
brake noise great another thing i have to worry about...why not just let them brake in..im sure all the sounds will go away in time......no abs i have no sounds...so now we need ....power commander ..new rotors ...brake pads...new shocks...new tires..airbox mod..ect

1 - 16 of 16 Posts