GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was pretty sure that the Gixxes 1000 was the bike I wanted, but the more I read about the throttle and fueling issues, the more I'm doubting. It doesn't make sense to me to spend all that money on a new bike, then spend more money and time to try to make it rideable. I know they CAN make an ECU that works - my son's '08 GSX-R600 is a beautiful machine and performs flawlessly. Why can't they get it right on this bike? (If it weren't for the riding position, I would already have a Gixxer in the stable.)

It's my understanding that for an ECU reflash you have to take the whole bike somewhere and have them work on it. Is that right? Or is there someone you can just send the ECU to for a reflash to correct the problems? What does this do to your warranty? I have to admit, the Ninja 1000 is looking better all the time.

Somebody talk me back from the edge...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feel the same...
Why but it....$500 flash.
Then $1000 suspension.
And then personal changes to the bike....and its never going to be a Tuono.....just find a Tuono leftover and be done with it.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
719 Posts
I feel the same...
Why but it....$500 flash.
Then $1000 suspension.
And then personal changes to the bike....and its never going to be a Tuono.....just find a Tuono leftover and be done with it.

then take your tuono to the shop and leave it there for the next 2 months.....

This bike awsome out of the box. If you want a NEW bike, not someones left overs, then there is not a better value. If you spend the difference in price between this bike and the tuono on upgrades, you would have an Aprilla eater that also happens to be reliable.

Ive never come across a forum arguing how unreliable japanese bikes are. If someone shopping for a tuono is concerned about having to do work on their bike after buying it to make it "wright", or even just run, then they should Google "aprilla reliability" or "aprilla problems" and prepare for a long read.

At this point I can say ive test driven every major brand 2016 naked 1000 available in the us (kawi,yamaha, bmw KTM, and yes tuono).
The BMW and tuono were great to drive but NOT $8000 better. Forget about doing any work on a BMW at home--> everything is propritory. The BMW really did have the most balanced "package", felt like it was built by a watch maker.
KTM was OK, I had a hard time gelling with that bike. Nasty fast.
Yamaha was too cheaply put together to justify their price and honestly was not that exciting to drive.
Kawai z1000 wasn't bad. Was nicely built. I personally could not get over the saggy boob headlight though. I also dont like green and it was more expensive---this was its closest competitor all around.

·
Registered
593 Posts
No bike is perfect in every way and a lot is down to personal preference. I liked the GSX-S more than any other bike I test rode (I really wanted to like the Z1000 and S1000R but neither put the same smile on my face that I get from the GSX-S) so £360 was a small price to pay to make it just about perfect (ECU reflash and the suspension set up by someone who knows what they are doing)

I'll change it at 3 or 4 years old, but at the moment I don't have anything in mind that will replace it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
then take your tuono to the shop and leave it there for the next 2 months.....

This bike awsome out of the box. If you want a NEW bike, not someones left overs, then there is not a better value. If you spend the difference in price between this bike and the tuono on upgrades, you would have an Aprilla eater that also happens to be reliable.

Ive never come across a forum arguing how unreliable japanese bikes are. If someone shopping for a tuono is concerned about having to do work on their bike after buying it to make it "wright", or even just run, then they should Google "aprilla reliability" or "aprilla problems" and prepare for a long read.

At this point I can say ive test driven every major brand 2016 naked 1000 available in the us (kawi,yamaha, bmw KTM, and yes tuono).
The BMW and tuono were great to drive but NOT $8000 better. Forget about doing any work on a BMW at home--> everything is propritory. The BMW really did have the most balanced "package", felt like it was built by a watch maker.
KTM was OK, I had a hard time gelling with that bike. Nasty fast.
Yamaha was too cheaply put together to justify their price and honestly was not that exciting to drive.
Kawai z1000 wasn't bad. Was nicely built. I personally could not get over the saggy boob headlight though. I also dont like green and it was more expensive---this was its closest competitor all around.
I agree with alot that you said,
But pricing here is different.
Leftover gsxs $10500 ish....plus flash....plus suspension.... Plus personal changes....roughly$13000 done.
Could be more reliable?
Would be better on gas.
Even at that....still nowhere near tuono.
Tuono new leftover $13000....needs nothing.....ready to go....class leading performance.
For the same money....you
get:
Auto blipping up and down quickshifter.
M50 brembos.....braided steel lines.
320mm rotors.
Cruise control.
Tft color display.
Shachs suspension.
175 hp .....158hp dynoed.
500rpm higer rev limit....aporox 13000rpm red line.
Track.... Wheelie...control.
Launch control.... Pit lane speed limiter.
Abs...cornering abs...3driving maps.
All can be ajusted while driving at full throttle if you want.
Better faster software....pcm...new imu.
Negatives: harder on fuel.
More potential for issues....possible longer wait time for parts....
Read forums from 2015 to 2016....with new engine....almost now issues....
I have not bought a bike yet....might still be a suzuki:)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Heres my thing, I do find a lot of impressive technology on these European bikes but I don't actually see it translating to a dramatically better ride.... just a more complex bike and I'm not sure that's better for motorcycle (maybe to some extent).

A physician that I work with also rides. He loves aprilla and won't ride anything else. However, when he bought his bike he actually bought two.... paraphrasing his answer when I asked why "One of them is usually in the shop"
that closeness in price that you mention evaporates when you factor in loss of ride time and cost of repair.

Im not trying to speak bad of aprilla per se.... they are some of the baddest bikes out there.... just not very practical

I don't think the GSX is the ultimate motorcycle by any stretch... it's just the best value for a dollar out there right now.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you think the ninja 1000 comes in 100% perfect, do not google "Ivans Ninja 1000 reflash". Ivans built a reflashing empire with the ninja z 1000.

The second gen bikes are better, but the 11-13 was fueled as bad as the suzuki, if not worse.

The Aprilia is a well finished machine that is awesome. Its issue is reliability and the fact that you cant sell a used one for 1/2 its purchase price. Its its out of warranty, you might not be able to give it away.

I can build a Suzuki, or Kawasaki to be a better bike. I cant make an Aprilia reliable. You say you owned one that was reliable? Great. Maybe consider telling these guys about it. There are more problems on the first three pages of that forum than every suzuki, yamaha, honda and kawasaki forum combined.

2012-2017 Tuono V4 - All Variants - Page 2

Also worth noting...Go visit the forums of any bike you talked about here....s1000r, fz10, Aprilia, Ninja 1000/z 1000...

Notice how the topics are all the same. Ecu reflash, suspension improvement, brakes. Some have some reliability issues mixed in, but if your the type who freaks out over owner modifications to a motorcycle, Im not sure what bike to point you towards.

The forums are made up of the 10% die hard owners who wont put up with imperfections, real or imagined. Mos town all of these bikes and never think twice about the issues we bring up.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Don't make any decision until you've test ridden the bike. Go to suzuki's website and see when/where there is a demo near you: Suzuki Cycles - Demos

There probably won't be any until spring.

As for the snatchy throttle I think it's just fine, I don't know whether my bike doesn't have the problem or whether I'm just used to it and don't notice it, but I have no complaints about my throttle.

·
Registered
719 Posts
If you live in orlando (florida in general)... you should have no trouble getting a test ride on a suzuki..... they will even let you test drive the one you want to buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you think the ninja 1000 comes in 100% perfect, do not google "Ivans Ninja 1000 reflash". Ivans built a reflashing empire with the ninja z 1000.

The second gen bikes are better, but the 11-13 was fueled as bad as the suzuki, if not worse.

The Aprilia is a well finished machine that is awesome. Its issue is reliability and the fact that you cant sell a used one for 1/2 its purchase price. Its its out of warranty, you might not be able to give it away.

I can build a Suzuki, or Kawasaki to be a better bike. I cant make an Aprilia reliable. You say you owned one that was reliable? Great. Maybe consider telling these guys about it. There are more problems on the first three pages of that forum than every suzuki, yamaha, honda and kawasaki forum combined.

2012-2017 Tuono V4 - All Variants - Page 2

Also worth noting...Go visit the forums of any bike you talked about here....s1000r, fz10, Aprilia, Ninja 1000/z 1000...

Notice how the topics are all the same. Ecu reflash, suspension improvement, brakes. Some have some reliability issues mixed in, but if your the type who freaks out over owner modifications to a motorcycle, Im not sure what bike to point you towards.

The forums are made up of the 10% die hard owners who wont put up with imperfections, real or imagined. Mos town all of these bikes and never think twice about the issues we bring up.
I realize no bike is perfect, and I'm certainly not averse to mods...I've spent thousands on mods, adds, improvements, etc. on all bikes I've owned. Good point about the composition of the forums, have to take that into account.

Don't make any decision until you've test ridden the bike. Go to suzuki's website and see when/where there is a demo near you: Suzuki Cycles - Demos

There probably won't be any until spring.

As for the snatchy throttle I think it's just fine, I don't know whether my bike doesn't have the problem or whether I'm just used to it and don't notice it, but I have no complaints about my throttle.
I don't think a demo ride is going to happen around here. No dealers offer it as far as I'm aware (bikes are generally not prepped with battery, oil, etc. until they're sold) and that Suzuki link has no events in the calendar. It's good to hear from folks who don't think the fueling is a big issue.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Gdub, I test rode one at the Progressive Bike show almost a year ago. Granted you can't do much hammer time on them, but the bike was very smooth and comfortable. I bought one in '16 March. My throttle wasn't near as bad as some I read about on this forum. Plus it has smoothed further now its almost got 5000 miles. I tend to describe it as a "hair trigger," but its controllable--sure maybe a reflash would be an improvement but in my case its not bad enough to pay money and potentially lose mileage/range. In the time I've owned it, its exceeded 50 mpg (range of 201.1 miles on a tank), wheelies if you want (which is I think better than the dreaded "unintended wheelie"), and, almost literally, I can go faster with about 1/2 the effort of any my past bikes (Buell, Bmer, etc). And the motor is bomb-proof :). Do it!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just picked up my second one, this is a 16 had a 17 (see battery Thread) At least in the first 100 miles the throttle condition is massively better. Mostly it no longer cuts fuel off when you go off throttle (and no huge engine breaking) like the 17 did which makes a big difference. Again, at least so far, I don't think I'll have to make any changes to improve throttle/fueling.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My GSX-S is a touch snatchy at low throttle openings but not a lot different to my old Street Triple - I can certainly live with it and have covered over 20,000 km now. It's ergonomically comfortable for my 69 year old, 5'8" body, made better by fitting slightly lowered footpegs. Bike choice is a highly personal thing. For me, it's a good bike but not a great bike with less emotional connection than with my Street Triple simply because I grew up with Triumphs and like triples. However, it doesn't mean I'm going to sell it anytime soon, mainly because it would mean a lot of begging to my Financial Controller :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't think a demo ride is going to happen around here. No dealers offer it as far as I'm aware (bikes are generally not prepped with battery, oil, etc. until they're sold) and that Suzuki link has no events in the calendar.
The demos don't happen on the dealers' bikes, but on bikes suzuki brings to the dealer.

I don't know how it works in the US, but here in Canada they have a truck full of bikes which visits each dealer. Yamaha and Honda do the same, for some reason Kawasaki doesn't.

The website calendar probably doesn't list any events because it's winter now, if you check again in March or April they will probably have some demos scheduled at a suzuki dealer near you.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I apparently got over my doubts; today I put a deposit on a 2016 Red & Black GSX-S1000F. A dealer about 80 miles away made me a decent offer. From them the naked was actually about $1k more OTD, they said due to rebates or incentives, etc. So that made up my mind on the version. If all goes well I should be able to pick it up by the end of the week. Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
91 Posts
G-Dub,
I think you'll be very happy with the gsxs. I have a blue f model and I like it more every day. When I first picked mine up the throtle "snatch" and constant throttle was noticeable, but, it improved quickly. Now after 3500 miles it's 95% gone. The bike is smooth, handles very well, almost as good as my street triple, is great on the highway and has great torque.
I'm always looking at other bikes, but, right now, I can't think of another bike that would suit me so well.
Congrats on the new bike!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree with Bemil the throttle condition has smoothed out tremendously with only about 400 miles on mine. Been a complete joy to ride..

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First two deals fell through, won't bore anyone with the details, but just brought home the F version of the bike. Loving it so far!

Reactions: dima_cnj
1 - 20 of 33 Posts