GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw some websites saying that 2016 GSX-S1000 uses the same engine as 2008 GSX-R1000 (Sport). Website example below:
https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/intermot-2014-suzuki-gsx-s1000-and-gsx-s1000f-unveiled?fbclid=IwAR03aYPiUOnRbeRQq4wX49APhz16wgz6JMQ_VptG2zwCK-diT0iYYuPKLA8

The site says:
Both use the 999cc engine from a 2008 GSX-R1000, retuned for more low-to-mid-range output.
I want to ask, can we replace the header pipes of the 2008 GSX-R1000 for the 2016 GSX-S1000? Because the stock pipe of GSX-R1000 2008 is titanium.

2008 GSX-R1000 stock header:

2016 GSX-S1000 stock header:

·
Registered
24 Posts
that does look so **** close.

the real question is,

what are the gsxs port diameter and spacing, and what are the k8 gsxr's?

ive read places they are not the same, but it makes me wonder if you could still chop them up and make a decent home made set of headers for cheaper if it's just the spacing i would imagine things could be modified if your feeling squirrely enough

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that does look so **** close.

the real question is,

what are the gsxs port diameter and spacing, and what are the k8 gsxr's?

ive read places they are not the same, but it makes me wonder if you could still chop them up and make a decent home made set of headers for cheaper if it's just the spacing i would imagine things could be modified if your feeling squirrely enough
I have measured the inside diameter of each pipe of the full system Yoshimura for the 08 GSX-R1000 and it is the same as stock header pipe of GSX-S1000 2016. So i think stock header of 08 R1000 is the same.
Unfortunately I did not find an stock Header Pipe in my locality so I am not sure. I need to make sure to order it from ebay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
what if you were trying to cob together your own?

could you cut at the green or black and be able to navigate around? im trying to mentally visualize where it would hit the sump.

end goal for me would be to make a cheaper version of temporarykiwi's header design without having to get a BW (black line would keep stock 2ndarys making it really not match our cams, green line would allow to lengthen the 2ndarys and try to follow his designs)

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
hi , i can confirm that the port ex flange holes are identical in size and position on the gsx-s and gsxr1k8 cylinder heads, i have also carefully measured both stock headers, the gsx-s system has much shorter headers, the gsxr1k8 items are avg @ 59.5cm length, which is approx 10cm longer than the gsx-s header, this is so the headers suit the very different cam timings and durations.

·
Registered
24 Posts
@ skillo i dont really care about material, i just wanted to make "proper" exhaust for it as cheap as possible. you can get stock exhausts cheap on ebay.
@temporarykiwi hey there, so i was reading through your old post about the header you built, my goal is to replicate it for myself. (im no exhaust builder and more of a grinder then a welder but i like doing things myself and learning) i saw the general idea you had going for it, iirc basicly the better collector designs and longer 2ndary and different outlet for different slip ons and such?
also if you can direct me to any reading i could do to learn more about exhaust theory and such that would be cool.

how would the longer primarys affect it overall if we decided to take the k8 header and chop it and mod it using same principals as your BW one you made? would it have more top end or something? (thats where i wana learn more about how it works)

·
Registered
52 Posts
There have been other threads on this and the answer is no, the GSXR headers will not clear the sump pump on the GSXS
thats the k5 header and i confirmed that myself. the k7 and k8 are different. our engines have more in common to the k7 and 8 then they do with k5/k6.

·
Registered
244 Posts
the longer headers of the k8 exhaust may result in a dip in the power delivery, and a loss in torque, the std header is a power reduction device, but a set made to the specs i supplied in that exhaust post will result in good torque and a mild power increase.
i learned by trial and error, later i read a book by phillip smith - design of intake and exhaust systems, its very heavy reading, and i dont agree with alot of its suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi , i can confirm that the port ex flange holes are identical in size and position on the gsx-s and gsxr1k8 cylinder heads, i have also carefully measured both stock headers, the gsx-s system has much shorter headers, the gsxr1k8 items are avg @ 59.5cm length, which is approx 10cm longer than the gsx-s header, this is so the headers suit the very different cam timings and durations.
Hi, you said that GSX-S has a shorter header than GSX-R. I want to ask you the distance you compare is the red or the blue line below?

I just want to make sure it fits the exhaust (the size of the hole and the position are the same).
And it does not touch other places such as oil filter, water tank, the rest I will have a welder who can help me make 3/4 pipe connection (decat), then I will use a 60mm Yoshimura exhaust pipe.
If it can be used, it is really great. I don't really care about a drop in horsepower, because in my country GSX-S is already very strong for my needs. :D:D

·
Registered
244 Posts
hi, its the blue line, the pipes after the blue line are the secondary pipes, the secondary pipe length affects the midrange power delivery on our bike, the header length is tuned to the camshaft duration.
by using a different length header, it may disturb the power delivery, so it may have flat spots in the rev-range

1 - 14 of 14 Posts