GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the factory heated grips and if so do they just plug into the harness and are instructions included with the part? Also how do the function?

Thanks Roddie

Reactions: bob37748

·
Registered
39 Posts
Has anyone installed the factory heated grips and if so do they just plug into the harness and are instructions included with the part? Also how do the function?

Thanks Roddie
I had my dealer install the OEM heated grips during my first service so I am not clear on all of the steps. I read the instructions but threw them away over a month ago.

IMG_7283 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7257 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

The instructions that come with the kit seem ok but the routing diagram for the throttle side is not ideal and I re-routed mine as shown in the pic above. The main power pig tail is maybe under the headlight which is easy to remove but might be under the tank/air box. I did not watch the installation so I do not know. The Controller gets installed under the left mirror and has about 5 settings. Push the button once for max heat. Keep pressing to lower the levels and you can tell by the led lights dimming and turning off as you decrease the heat level. Shut the bike off the power goes off and stays off.

The new grips are much fatter than the OEMs so it may or may not bother you depending on your hand size.

There is some gluing involved which makes it more work than plug and play.

They work just fine for me. I have read that some have had issues with the throttle side not getting hot enough. Mine seem to be matched the same.
Overall I am satisfied with mine but they are not nearly as nice as the OEM heated grips on my S1000XR.

Reactions: Roddie

·
Registered
355 Posts
Is it just me that prefers heated gloves as opposed to heated grips? I find that my fingertips still suffer with heated grips, particularly with naked bikes. Last year on the Street Triple, I switched to Gerbing G3 heated gloves with a temperature controller. Kept all of my hands warm and no hassle to connect and disconnect. Looking forward to trying them on the Suzuki this coming winter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife uses heated gloves and I have to agree with Kiwi Geoff in regards to the heated gloves. I am going to order a set of heated gloves this weekend.

Roddie

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is it just me that prefers heated gloves as opposed to heated grips? I find that my fingertips still suffer with heated grips, particularly with naked bikes. Last year on the Street Triple, I switched to Gerbing G3 heated gloves with a temperature controller. Kept all of my hands warm and no hassle to connect and disconnect. Looking forward to trying them on the Suzuki this coming winter.
Thanks for posting this; a viable alternative to fitting heated grips. Where did you buy this from and it looks like the G3 may be a previous model as it is not listed on the Gerbing site? I am real fussy with fit so would like to try in a shop rather than buy online.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks for posting this; a viable alternative to fitting heated grips. Where did you buy this from and it looks like the G3 may be a previous model as it is not listed on the Gerbing site? I am real fussy with fit so would like to try in a shop rather than buy online.
Got them through eBay for approx NZ$180. Just checked and they are still there from multiple suppliers. The saving was sufficient to risk a sizing error but using their charts and various gloves I already had, it worked out perfectly. I spent another $60 or thereabouts on a single garment temperature controller which I can hook on my belt. Had them shipped via the YouShop service offered by NZ Post. The gloves are the softest leather I've ever come across.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had mine fitted from new, but they dont work anymore... Does anyone know if there is a fuse for them? There should be but i cant find one!

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Second that - heated gloves (or Florida) is the way to go

1 - 10 of 10 Posts