GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone post a photo of the installed Suzuki grip controller. I know the Oxford looks a bit ugly - but how neat is the Suzuki controller? Does the mirror stem need to be moved?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can someone post a photo of the installed Suzuki grip controller. I know the Oxford looks a bit ugly - but how neat is the Suzuki controller? Does the mirror stem need to be moved?
Here is another shot. You can zoom in within flickr if you wish

IMG_7283 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't buy them they are crap. get something else. I am having a hard time getting them replaced under warranty at the moment too.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Suzuki are pulling them off bikes as fast as they're installing them. They've as much as admitted that they're crap. Keep Away.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Oxfords are excellent and very reliable! A snap to install. I have them on my DL650, ordering them for the GSXS.

I have a battery tender connector and a line to a power outlet already hooked to the battery. Because I am getting the heated grips and will somehow find a way to mount an air horn, (way too many items to be connected to the battery terminals), I ordered a "3 Circuit Kit" from Eastern Beaver. This is a well-made brilliant product that allows you to hook electrical items to it which in turn connects to the battery. It's all fused and safe and keeps everything neat and tidy. I have one of their PC8 fuse blocks on my V-Strom but that would be overkill on the GSXS I believe.

The Oxford grips come in three lengths. The "touring" model is the exact length we need for the GSXS. Buy the others and will end up having to trim them down. Don't let the word "touring" dissuade you. All three models are pretty much identical except for slight variations in the grip pattern, but they all feel the same.

·
Registered
285 Posts
suzuki ones are hopeless, suzuki aus, told the dealer to replace mine ,under warranty , for oxford , which work fine

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Are you guys running your Oxford/OEM Heated Grips from the battery or splicing and going with the ignition?
Straight from the Battery. They already have an in line fuse built in and some clever circuitry in the the controller to turn them off when the engine isn't running so no flat batteries if you forget.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Straight from the Battery. They already have an in line fuse built in and some clever circuitry in the the controller to turn them off when the engine isn't running so no flat batteries if you forget.
How clever? I have to park in the CBD and I'm worried about it being easily switched on and tampered with when the bikes parked. I was considering installing a dip switch or the like somewhere or splicing to the ignition.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Might be a good idea if it's going to get tampered with.
You can switch it on just by pushing the temp/power control button without a key but it will switch off again as soon as it realises the motors not charging the battery.
Up to you really, whatever you feel safest with. Like I said, ive walked away from mine with it still switched on numerous times and never had a problem. But of course, the battery is still new and no one is playing with it and turning it back on again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
"In addition, five carefully chosen heat settings allow the perfect temperature to be selected in ALL weathers and most importantly, the switch will switch off if the voltage drops to 10.5V to ensure that the battery is not damaged to the point that it cannot be fully recharged."

When you leave the heated grips on, after a few minutes the battery saving mode light comes on and it switches the heated grips off... but what happens if you keep turning them on and up to 100% ??

Once the BSM light comes on....can the heated grips be turned back on?

·
Registered
285 Posts
"In addition, five carefully chosen heat settings allow the perfect temperature to be selected in ALL weathers and most importantly, the switch will switch off if the voltage drops to 10.5V to ensure that the battery is not damaged to the point that it cannot be fully recharged."

When you leave the heated grips on, after a few minutes the battery saving mode light comes on and it switches the heated grips off... but what happens if you keep turning them on and up to 100% ??

Once the BSM light comes on....can the heated grips be turned back on?
so is some evil spirit in the parking lot doing this ? If not the oxford grips are fine. If battery low , maybe ride for a minutes to get some charge then turn on grips. BSM is just that , save the battery , who cares if the grips don't come on straight away , starting the bike is more important surely , you may be worried about nothing. If it is such a huge concern don't fit them and suffer cold fingers !

·
Registered
25 Posts
My only concern is being stranded with a dead battery... Just after the low down on how tamper proof the Oxfords are...unfortunately not an evil spirit ... commuting and public parking in the city.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The Oxford premium grips controller works very well when connected directly to the battery. Although you can turn the grips on without the engine running, they turn off after a minute or two, so you would need to repeatedly turn the grips on every couple of minutes to cause any significant drain on the battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey madmartin. How did you install the base plate there? Did you cut off the mounting arm and drill larger holes into the plate its self and just mount the square plate onto the mirror mount?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts