GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted this information back in June on the FaceBook page, but it's getting lost there as there are so many other posts to wade through to get to it, so though I'd add it here so it doesn't get lost.

I've fitted Oxford grips to mine (wasn't prepared to pay the cost of Suzuki ones). Took a while to find the power socket to feed them. I've recently seen a picture on the FaceBook group of the Suzuki grips installation instructions, and they show the same socket to power them. The Oxford grips came with a harness to allow you to connect them directly to the battery, but as I'd found the location anyway, I decided to connect them this way.

Both fairing outers need to come off and you have to raise the tank to get to it. Don't understand why Suzuki put the socket where they did, rather than inside one of the fairings.

This is UK bike, but can't imagine it various across countries.

The socket is powered off the "Option" fuse (same one that powers the USB outlet). It's the white plug/socket in the centre of the picture, behind the injectors. It's taped to the wiring harness, so I had to cut the tape away. Black/Green is switched +ve; Black/white is -ve. As expected, there is a removeable cap on it. The cap could be used as the male connector if you can find the correct pins to go into it.

I've also used this socket to power an additional relay that I can use to power other high-powered items when the ignition is on.

The plug/socket is an "MT-090" type. I bought it from Ebay (item 264296799064) £4.99 for both halves, though in reality you only need the male half.

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood

Auto part Electric blue Fashion accessory Personal protective equipment Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Attachments

· Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,470 Posts
I watched the mechanic fit mine, it took him nearly two hours but then it was the first time he had done it.

· Registered
3 Posts
The service manual shows an accessory plug along the right rear sub-frame. I removed the rear body panels to find and get to it but, mine at least, has no power. Has anyone else found this plug and did it have power? I then went to the one under the fuel tank and it does have power. This is a U.S. motorcycle.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The service manual shows an accessory plug along the right rear sub-frame. I removed the rear body panels to find and get to it but, mine at least, has no power. Has anyone else found this plug and did it have power? I then went to the one under the fuel tank and it does have power. This is a U.S. motorcycle.
If I remember correctly from so long ago, I found that one too but it only had 5V on it, so I left well alone. Didn't have the service manual at the time so it was all just trial and error.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts