GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed how heavy the Clutch action is, as this one is giving my wrist a real work out with quite a bit of pain .. I am a bit limp wristed as I've broken it twice back in me lunatic days..:laugh:... Not had any trouble with my hydrolic SV1000 clutch... Wondering if there any way of making the GSX one a bit lighter..?...Any idea's lads..!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm considering going back to a normal length clutch lever just for the extra purchase. If there was a relative simple swap from another bike I'd be interested in going hydraulic because it's a right bugger in traffic.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm considering going back to a normal length clutch lever just for the extra purchase. If there was a relative simple swap from another bike I'd be interested in going hydraulic because it's a right bugger in traffic.
Yep...Ive just put the original levers back on and will see how I get on with them...:)

·
Registered
415 Posts
This one of the lightest clutches I've had. Try a early RSV1000 or Tuono for comparison. I added shorty levers because it was so easy!

The cheapest option is longer lever and hold the bars further to the ends. New master cylinders might work but you'll void the warranty (as i understand ).

·
Registered
334 Posts
Has anyone else noticed how heavy the Clutch action is, as this one is giving my wrist a real work out with quite a bit of pain .. I am a bit limp wristed as I've broken it twice back in me lunatic days..:laugh:... Not had any trouble with my hydrolic SV1000 clutch... Wondering if there any way of making the GSX one a bit lighter..?...Any idea's lads..!!
Hit the gym, Tony.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hit the gym, Tony.
I had a weak clutch wrist when I got back into motorcycling almost a decade ago and some exercises fixed that in a few weeks. Two exercises:
1. Tie string onto a short section of wooden rod (broom handle) and with a weight on the end of the string rotate the rod between both hands to roll the weight up towards the rod.
2. Buy one of those spring grips devices to strengthen the hands.
No need to go to the gym.

Reactions: tonyt

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had a few issues with mine at the start. I think this was because it was at a slightly wrong angle. i adjusted it so it was in line with the angle of my arms this helped a lot

·
Registered
371 Posts
Clutch force on this bike is not bad at all for a 1000. It's quite similar to the bikes I have compared it directly to side-by-side (FZ-07, SV650, GS500, all cable clutches but smaller displacement). My hands aren't particularly strong and I have no problem using the clutch in heavy traffic even with shorty levers.

If you feel your clutch is too heavy, check to see if it returns to the stop smoothly and quickly. If not, you might want to remove the pivot bolt and bushing and apply some lithium grease. If the cable isn't greased up properly, it could also be dragging inside the sheath. In that case, remove the cable and give it a good cleaning and then grease it up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
mess around with the bite so its lower down. will allow easier crawling through traffic but will up the chances of stalling it by about 200%

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stop by your nearest Harley dealer and try the clutch on any pre-2017 model.
Clutch action is perfect now ..just needed bedding in plus a set of Chinese levers has helped... Really just a bit of premature moaning on my part.....:laugh:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Clutch action is perfect now ..just needed bedding in plus a set of Chinese levers has helped... Really just a bit of premature moaning on my part.....:laugh:

Thank god for that. Thought we had ourselves a Casey Stoner on the forum :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts