GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last bike had Brock's HD clutch springs installed when I purchased it. When the time came, I replaced the clutch with an OEM kit and new OEM springs. After riding several thousand miles with the heavy duty springs and then doing the same with the standard springs, I realized that I preferred the heavier springs. They added some tension to the clutch lever over the standard springs, which I liked. The additional tension or weight created a more positive engagement, or at least the feeling of such, while still allowing me enough feel at the lever to easily slip it when needed or ride the edge of engagement in and out of the friction zone in heavy traffic, etc.

I purchased a set of EBC heavy duty clutch springs for the GSX-S and I plan on installing them over the weekend once the OEM clutch cover gasket is delivered. Before I do that, I'd love to hear opinions from others here who have experience with heavier springs in the GSX-S. My bike does have the factory slipper clutch, whereas my last bike did not have a slipper, but I don't believe that will make any difference when it comes to the new springs. The springs and cover gasket were both very inexpensive, so if I don't like them on this bike for whatever reason, it's only a 20 minute job to swap back to the factory springs.

First hand experience is great, but I'm interested to hear any opinions on this, as well.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It was a common mod on the 2005 gsxr1000 I had. I never did it, but if doing a drag start, the clutch on occasion grabbed and it was a herky jerky take off. Do it normally and it was fine.

I haven’t had the same problem on my 2018 gsxs, Unless you are into drag starts then I personally wouldn’t bother.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It was a common mod on the 2005 gsxr1000 I had. I never did it, but if doing a drag start, the clutch on occasion grabbed and it was a herky jerky take off. Do it normally and it was fine.

I haven’t had the same problem on my 2018 gsxs, Unless you are into drag starts then I personally wouldn’t bother.
Are you talking about the oil mod that was mentioned above, or the normal clutch mod? I know of a couple clutch mods, including the most popular one (that I'm aware of) from Brock's. The Brock's clutch mod replaces the slipper portion of the clutch with a billet piece that removes the slipper function. The slipper function is what creates the hopping when launching the bike hard during drag racing, so I'm thinking the GSX-R1000 clutch oil mod mentioned by @temporarykiwi might be something different?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yup, it resizing oil flow thru clutch, thats what causes grab on non slipper clutch
Ah, I see. So the clutch oil mod wouldn't do me any good since my bike is equipped with a slipper. I could do the Brock's clutch mod and eliminate the slipper, but I doubt I will, as I won't be doing much drag racing.

·
Banned
134 Posts
I would run the clutch you like - we all have different riding styles-- as far as the pipe dyno guy salesman goes-- HE IS A DRAG GUY that is all he cares about so you must consider this do you want a drag bike on the street or a street bike at the drags?? myself being a street rider that gets a little road racer in me once in a while i would never get ride of that slipper clutch-- you ever have that back tire chattering while trying to make your turn-- chirp chirp chirp chirp ohh **** i braked to late --- whew that will cause some shrinkage and the heart rate to go up ya took them years to develop it glad its here-

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would run the clutch you like - we all have different riding styles-- as far as the pipe dyno guy salesman goes-- HE IS A DRAG GUY that is all he cares about so you must consider this do you want a drag bike on the street or a street bike at the drags?? myself being a street rider that gets a little road racer in me once in a while i would never get ride of that slipper clutch-- you ever have that back tire chattering while trying to make your turn-- chirp chirp chirp chirp ohh **** i braked to late --- whew that will cause some shrinkage and the heart rate to go up ya took them years to develop it glad its here-
I didn't do the clutch mod, only a set of heavier springs. The factory slipper function is still in place. The clutch cover gasket arrived today, so I installed the springs after work, along with a Yoshimura oil fill plug and a pair of Yoshimura inspection plugs. The Yoshi parts were ordered from Webike Japan on Wednesday evening around 8:00PM and they were delivered today (Friday), at 2:30PM. That's two orders I've placed through Webike in the last few weeks that arrived to me on the east coast of the States from Japan in less than 48 hours. Very impressive order fulfillment and shipping speed if you ask me. They have a large selection of GSX-S parts that aren't seen stateside, except for on their site.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I didn't do the clutch mod, only a set of heavier springs. The factory slipper function is still in place. The clutch cover gasket arrived today, so I installed the springs after work, along with a Yoshimura oil fill plug and a pair of Yoshimura inspection plugs. The Yoshi parts were ordered from Webike Japan on Wednesday evening around 8:00PM and they were delivered today (Friday), at 2:30PM. That's two orders I've placed through Webike in the last few weeks that arrived to me on the east coast of the States from Japan in less than 48 hours. Very impressive order fulfillment and shipping speed if you ask me. They have a large selection of GSX-S parts that aren't seen stateside, except for on their site.
You'll have to let us know how you like the clutch with the new springs in it once you've had a chance to ride it for a while.

And you're becoming a Webike 'junky' I see...they've got some super-cool stuff on that site and if it's in-stock they're crazy fast with shipping as you've found out. I've got those same Yosh plugs that I got from them a few weeks ago.

On another note, did you ever decide which way you're going to go on the Akra?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You'll have to let us know how you like the clutch with the new springs in it once you've had a chance to ride it for a while.

And you're becoming a Webike 'junky' I see...they've got some super-cool stuff on that site and if it's in-stock they're crazy fast with shipping as you've found out. I've got those same Yosh plugs that I got from them a few weeks ago.

On another note, did you ever decide which way you're going to go on the Akra?
Yes, Webike rocks! Cool stuff and fast shipping! Can't ask for much more.

And I did install the clutch springs last weekend. EBC claims they're 15% stiffer than stock, but it's difficult to tell any difference. My previous bike had the Brock's springs installed and I could tell they were in there, whereas the EBC's just I can just barely feel them. I can't tell any difference in spring weight at the lever, even with the CRG RC2 shorty levers, but I can tell that the clutch engagement is firmer, which I like. Engagement doesn't feel quite as soft as the OEM springs and just has a stronger bite. I believe clutch life will be very slightly improved because these don't allow the plates to slip as much.

On to the Akra. It's been with my welder for almost two weeks now and I spoke with him today. He hasn't gotten to it yet, but hopefully he will soon. He's doing it essentially as a favor, so it wouldn't be right for me to rush him.

·
Registered
74 Posts
And I did install the clutch springs last weekend. EBC claims they're 15% stiffer than stock, but it's difficult to tell any difference. My previous bike had the Brock's springs installed and I could tell they were in there, whereas the EBC's just I can just barely feel them. I can't tell any difference in spring weight at the lever, even with the CRG RC2 shorty levers, but I can tell that the clutch engagement is firmer, which I like. Engagement doesn't feel quite as soft as the OEM springs and just has a stronger bite. I believe clutch life will be very slightly improved because these don't allow the plates to slip as much.

On to the Akra. It's been with my welder for almost two weeks now and I spoke with him today. He hasn't gotten to it yet, but hopefully he will soon. He's doing it essentially as a favor, so it wouldn't be right for me to rush him.
If you happen to have the EBC part number handy at some point would you mind throwing it up here for future reference?

Decided to do the Akra the 'right' way I assume?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you happen to have the EBC part number handy at some point would you mind throwing it up here for future reference?

Decided to do the Akra the 'right' way I assume?
Yes, it would bother me too much not to do it the "right" way. 😄

EBC part number on the HD clutch springs is CSK145.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes, it would bother me too much not to do it the "right" way. 😄

EBC part number on the HD clutch springs is CSK145.
Thanks for the part number and looks like $20 shipped or so plus the gasket, so maybe a $30 job. Did you drain the oil first or does it lean far enough over on the stand you don't need to (my 'Busas I can pull a clutch cover without losing any oil on the kickstand)?

And I know the feeling...explains the $40 Akra clamp I just 'had' to get.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the part number and looks like $20 shipped or so plus the gasket, so maybe a $30 job. Did you drain the oil first or does it lean far enough over on the stand you don't need to (my 'Busas I can pull a clutch cover without losing any oil on the kickstand)?

And I know the feeling...explains the $40 Akra clamp I just 'had' to get.
Yes, you can leave the bike leaned over on the kickstand and do the job. I drained the oil first because I wanted to do it on a rear stand, plus the bike was ready for an oil change, anyway. Worked out perfectly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes, you can leave the bike leaned over on the kickstand and do the job. I drained the oil first because I wanted to do it on a rear stand, plus the bike was ready for an oil change, anyway. Worked out perfectly.
Just got them ordered...a whopping $14 and change on Amazon and the gasket is on its way to the dealer for me. Hoping to get it done before our SECOND snow this year. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
So I'm thinking I could replace the springs, one at a time, without even removing the clutch cover. I could remove the inspection plug and that gives me access to the clutch springs.

Just soliciting some input on that method...I know the manual states to remove the pressure plate springs, "little by little in a diagonal pattern," but that's for full removal. Just replacing the springs one at a time couldn't cause an issue that I could see...there would still be an adjacent spring and bolt in place and since they only get torqued to 90 in.-lbs. I don't see how anything could get 'out of whack' or place undue stress on the pressure plate. Thoughts?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I'm thinking I could replace the springs, one at a time, without even removing the clutch cover. I could remove the inspection plug and that gives me access to the clutch springs.

Just soliciting some input on that method...I know the manual states to remove the pressure plate springs, "little by little in a diagonal pattern," but that's for full removal. Just replacing the springs one at a time couldn't cause an issue that I could see...there would still be an adjacent spring and bolt in place and since they only get torqued to 90 in.-lbs. I don't see how anything could get 'out of whack' or place undue stress on the pressure plate. Thoughts?
This is exactly what I did. I chose to completely remove the clutch cover, but I did pull the springs and replace them one at a time. I know pulling the inspection plug will allow access to the clutch adjustment in the center, but I'm not sure if there's enough room there to replace the springs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is exactly what I did. I chose to completely remove the clutch cover, but I did pull the springs and replace them one at a time. I know pulling the inspection plug will allow access to the clutch adjustment in the center, but I'm not sure if there's enough room there to replace the springs.
It's worth a shot and worst case I just end up pulling the cover anyway...I can't remember how much 'room' pulling the plug gave to get into the clutch, although I do know it gets you to the adjuster at the center, and looking at the service manual it looks as if there's room to pull the bolt, then the washer and then the spring but I can't say for sure.

Here goes nothing...or maybe something, who knows. :unsure:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts