GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
just wondered if anyone else has the problem of worn Paint on the "Heel Plates" at the Foot pegs.

Mine have worn through the Paint which is very disappointing at just over 800 Miles !!!

I have already requested my local Dealer to look at it and they submitted a "Warranty repair request?" to Suzuki UK.
This request was denied as it was deemed "wear & tear"....
So, if they look like this at 800 odd Miles, what will they look like at 10 or 20k Miles??

Really like my Bike but not happy with the poor quality (in my opinion) of what should be a very durable part. I am even less happy with the manufacturers response...

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
You will find there is next to nothing in paint thickness on the Left one and a lot of paint on the right one. I even wore through the heel protector so I went the logical way and just had them powder coated. Looks better and very durable with not a mark on them after 6 months. Cost about 25 quid and easy to remove and put back together.

MG]

I wish I had done the levers and footpegs as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You will find there is next to nothing in paint thickness on the Left one and a lot of paint on the right one. I even wore through the heel protector so I went the logical way and just had them powder coated. Looks better and very durable with not a mark on them after 6 months. Cost about 25 quid and easy to remove and put back together.

MG]

Have the same problem with mine. going to get them powder coated in the winter .

·
Registered
44 Posts

MG]

The paint has come off both of mine after 1200 miles, the Suzuki carbon protectors lasted about 150 miles. I'm going to look into powder coating now.

Where did you get the carbon bits though thats on your swingarm?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, i'll probably get them powdercoated....

I still remain bitterly disappointed though, this is a NEW Bike, my last 4 Bikes were second hand, and none of them had worn through to the Metal @ various Mileages, the Fireblade had almost 19k Miles.

GSXR750 2012
CBR1000RR 2008
DUCATI 999S
CBR600RR

Hopefully i wont need anything done under warranty as i'm not too sure if Suzuki will honour it or give me an excuse of sort.

·
Registered
593 Posts
It's not just Suzuki mate, I had exactly the same with my brand new Honda CB1000R in 2011. Honda also rejected my warranty claim and said it was fair wear and tear. At less than 500 miles I disagreed, but that's not going to change their mind! I repainted them in the same colour and covered them in matte ventureshield which solved the problem.

I've had the Suzuki protectors on my GSX-S since new and they are still fine after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
249 Posts
When the Suzuki engineers came over from Japan the lady that was with me told the engineers/designers about the poor paint on the heel guards and they didnt seem overly bothered. They did take an interest in the poor paint on my tank though and replaced that under warranty (300 miles my right knee wore through the laquer), why not the heel protectors?!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Mine show no wear after 6000km but my previous biked did with the same amount although I wouldn't be too bothered as its just part of the wear and tear and they do get a decent rubbing

·
Registered
341 Posts
There was the same problem when I was riding my Suzuki GSX650FA K9.
Those plates have same shape and same paint.
I think this problem it's pretty common for the GSX family. :)

Forget about that wear, enjoy riding your bike! :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I read this forum from the very begining and saw there was a few issues with paint quality. I also saw that the heal protectors were no good from suzuki. So before i rode my bike i made some heal protectors out of carbon fiber wrap (this stuff is tough and i had used it before to wrap some car bits) I also applied the suzuki tank protection bits and bobs. I have had no issues with mine because i did this. I am also being very cairfull cleaning my wheels as i also read the paint on the wheels was very thin as well I applied the suzuki wheel stickers and this also seems to protect the paint on the wheels a little bit.

on a side note my last long term road bike was a suzuki k8 GSR600 and i had to get the heal plates power coated at 30k (km)

Although i dont like the low quality paint. I can see that you get what you pay for The GSX-S is a great bike and it did not cost the earth so if i have to fix a few paint issues in the future i still think i will be better off than if i paied for somthing like the BMW RR etc. and even those came with a host of issues. It all part of owning a bike thats how i look at it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts