GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Awesome. I have HELs on my WR250X and like them alot. Just for my own knowledge as I've never had a bike with ABS until now...what's the difference between braided lines for ABS and non-ABS?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are the front and rear linked via the ABS block? For example if the front brakes engage the ABS, does the rear kick in as well, even if it is not slipping?

I had a conversation at a shop that led me to believe that there was some type of cross over with ABS. That doesn't sound right. looking for how the ABS works.

thx.

JH14

·
Registered
371 Posts
Are the front and rear linked via the ABS block? For example if the front brakes engage the ABS, does the rear kick in as well, even if it is not slipping?

I had a conversation at a shop that led me to believe that there was some type of cross over with ABS. That doesn't sound right. looking for how the ABS works.

thx.

JH14
The wording in the manual leads me to believe that the ABS unit only kicks in when skidding is detected (only has the ability to reduce brake pressure). It also says several times to apply both brakes evenly.

It could have the ability to brake a wheel without the rider's input on that brake, but it doesn't seem likely by the way it's worded.

Someone should find a big puddle and slam the rear brake only and report what happens :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
The wording in the manual leads me to believe that the ABS unit only kicks in when skidding is detected (only has the ability to reduce brake pressure). It also says several times to apply both brakes evenly.

It could have the ability to brake a wheel without the rider's input on that brake, but it doesn't seem likely by the way it's worded.

Someone should find a big puddle and slam the rear brake only and report what happens :)
I've done the rear on it's own during the test ride. I had never had ABS on a bike before so I was curious. It behaves as you'd expect but it felt more like a knocking than pulsing, prob the chain or gearbox being weird.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've done the rear on it's own during the test ride. I had never had ABS on a bike before so I was curious. It behaves as you'd expect but it felt more like a knocking than pulsing, prob the chain or gearbox being weird.
Well, the real question is: did the front brakes seem to activate as well?

·
Registered
189 Posts

thx.

JH14
The front and rear brakes are not linked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks all,

My assumption from above is that I can put braided lines on the front only without messing with the ABS overall.

I like the feel of the rear as is, but want the added feedback and lack of flex on the front.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks all,

My assumption from above is that I can put braided lines on the front only without messing with the ABS overall.

I like the feel of the rear as is, but want the added feedback and lack of flex on the front.
For what it's worth, most people here agree that new pads are sufficient for getting rid of the mushy feeling at the front. A lot cheaper than braided lines.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Take it from someone who has locked the front up going through a wet muddy puddle (straight towards the garage door):eek:
The front abs will only disengage the brake and the rear wont come on to help you! Mind you, my suddenly open mouth might have increased the wind resistance and aided my missing that said door.

Like the guys said, New pads will help you stop quicker than replacing the hoses. Modern hose are just as good as steel braided ones for at least the first couple of years of their lives. Unless you just want the bling factor of course:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
That begin said.... I guess I'm on my way to do brake pad research. ;)
I'm sure there are many choices out there.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sintered pads will be the way forward for everyday use.
I'll get brake lines eventually but only in a couple of years I can't stand removing a part that is perfectly servicable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts