GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

About to fit full set of HEL lines, never done ABS before.

Are there any problems to look out for?

Any tips, info or pictures would be gratefully received :)

Also has am thinking of a Rizoma reservoir, any one got any pictures of this fitted?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Just started my HELs today.
The rear is a real pig to get at, I ended up removing rear wheel and the shock to gain access.
I am still removing the rear hoses. I started with the back because it is the hardest to do.
The fronts will be a breeze in comparison. Have removed front wheel and fender for access and to avoid fluid spill damage.
I am going to reverse bleed using a syringe to pump through the nipples. Never done it that way before so it will be interesting to see how it goes.
What did you pay for yours?
Here is my source http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/suzuki-gsxs-1000-parts/40226-hel-brake-lines.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information.

I paid £100 direct from HEL, ordered them at the MCN show last weekend

Can you not bleed ABS in the conventional way then?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just started my HELs today.
The rear is a real pig to get at, I ended up removing rear wheel and the shock to gain access.
I am still removing the rear hoses. I started with the back because it is the hardest to do.
The fronts will be a breeze in comparison. Have removed front wheel and fender for access and to avoid fluid spill damage.
I am going to reverse bleed using a syringe to pump through the nipples. Never done it that way before so it will be interesting to see how it goes.
What did you pay for yours?
Here is my source http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/suzuki-gsxs-1000-parts/40226-hel-brake-lines.html
I would have given up on replacing there rear brake line if i had to remove the wheel AND shock. I hardly ever use my rear brake anyways.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i didnt notice the abs till i got some vesrah race brake pads, now i seem to be getting annoyed with how early they come on, and how long it takes for the brakes to re activate once it has interupted. , thinking of disabling it somehow, as ive never had abs before i dont really like the feeling of lack of controll it dishes out any time start getting eager.
can i just pull fuse out?, ive had braided lines before (gsxr1100) gave more precise feel to braking

·
Registered
233 Posts
i didnt notice the abs till i got some vesrah race brake pads, now i seem to be getting annoyed with how early they come on, and how long it takes for the brakes to re activate once it has interupted. , thinking of disabling it somehow, as ive never had abs before i dont really like the feeling of lack of controll it dishes out any time start getting eager.
can i just pull fuse out?, ive had braided lines before (gsxr1100) gave more precise feel to braking
Either remove the ABS fuse and give up a safety device or bring a good aftermarket radial pump and the bike brakes very well!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Thanks for the information.

I paid £100 direct from HEL, ordered them at the MCN show last weekend

Can you not bleed ABS in the conventional way then?
You got a good deal, just checked the HEL site and they are £149.99 for a full set.
Yes you can bleed the normal way with ABS, no special instructions in the workshop manual.
Have got the rear lines installed, tried back feeding the fluid but made a mess of it, ended up doing it the normal way.
I found the retaining bolt holes in the plastic blocks quite tight, ran a drill through to ease them out.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I fitted HEL lines to an ABS f model nearly 2 years ago. Don't remember details but wasn't difficult. Removed tank and failings but certainly didn't remove shock or rear wheel.

Add photos of rizomas in place later
You must have very dexterous hands, mine are damaged with arthritis which doesn't help.:)
I also had to undo the exhaust valve motor bracket to get a bit more wriggle room.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You must have very dexterous hands, mine are damaged with arthritis which doesn't help.:)
I also had to undo the exhaust valve motor bracket to get a bit more wriggle room.
Not really dextrous, I have big hands (nightmare getting gloves to fit in Thailand) but I had already removed the Exhaust Servo and Evap canister.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
@Davidgorman
Job done today.
Two tips, fit the front hoses while the calipers are off the bike or you will struggle to start the Banjo bolts. Also when fitting main line to abs pump swing it towards the centre of the bike or it will foul the fuel hose fitting when you lower the tank.
Managed to reverse bleed OK just needed to cable tie bleed tubes to nipples to stop them blowing off, much easier than the normal way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info Dekker, question as you can see having major issues undoing the front pipe, tried 10mm spanner, flare spanner grips but nothing will budge it, did you have any issues?

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sorry but you noticed big differences after installing the brake lines? Because I change the radial pump and the brake pads already so the bike brakes very well! Changing the brake lines is worth the expense and time lost?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Sorry but you noticed big differences after installing the brake lines? Because I change the radial pump and the brake pads already so the bike brakes very well! Changing the brake lines is worth the expense and time lost?
I changed all of these parts and the biggest difference was pads, then the brake lines and the least difference but still worthwhile was the Radial Master Cylinder (Brembo RCS)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not really dextrous, I have big hands (nightmare getting gloves to fit in Thailand) but I had already removed the Exhaust Servo and Evap canister.
How is the health care, cost of living over there, safety, and language barriers over there?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
How is the health care, cost of living over there, safety, and language barriers over there?
Brilliant Private Hospitals - reasonable priced and Insurance easy to get, Cost of living not as cheap as before but still cheaper than the west, Language barriers, in the tourist areas most locals speak some English (after 18 years I speak Thai OK)

Safety - Horrendous, terrible drivers, highest death rate per capita on the roads in the world, Have to drive very defensively - but some fantastic roads away from the crowds where it is safe enoiugh

·
Registered
444 Posts
Brilliant Private Hospitals - reasonable priced and Insurance easy to get, Cost of living not as cheap as before but still cheaper than the west, Language barriers, in the tourist areas most locals speak some English (after 18 years I speak Thai OK)

Safety - Horrendous, terrible drivers, highest death rate per capita on the roads in the world, Have to drive very defensively - but some fantastic roads away from the crowds where it is safe enoiugh
Thanks. How about safety from the stand point of forcible felonies (rape, robbery, arson, murder, etc.). What types of industry are most common for ex pats?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I changed all of these parts and the biggest difference was pads, then the brake lines and the least difference but still worthwhile was the Radial Master Cylinder (Brembo RCS)
But I noticed that the biggest difference was changing the radial pump (I mount an IRC components) then I changed the brake pads with SBS rs and it goes even better. I've heard the brake pipes lead to about 5% improvement on braking and then the original brake lines are no longer like those of old-fashioned bikes. They also improved under that aspect.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Thanks for the info Dekker, question as you can see having major issues undoing the front pipe, tried 10mm spanner, flare spanner grips but nothing will budge it, did you have any issues?
I got a pair of Molegrips to hold the block and filed an old imperial spanner out so that it was a tight fit on the gland nut because my metric spanners seemed a a bit loose.
Just noticed you have pulled the line up, now why didn't I do that ? I struggled with it from underneath.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts