GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been riding since 92 off and on. First bike was a 92 ZX-6 Ninja. I've had a 99 ZX-9R, two 95 CBR600F3's a 04 GSXR-600, 08 CBR1000RR, two 16 Goldwings, two F6B's a 14 N1K, a 18 Z900RS..... I think that's it...... I'm 49 and looking at "comfortable" performance bikes that I can ride to the mountains (about 3 hours away) and possibly back the same day or stay the night. I was trying to find something with some wind protection and that my wife could ride and be around $10k, but don't see that happening. She was absolutely spoiled on the Goldwings and we have a new travel trailer, so that will be what she wants to do when we go out of town for a weekend.
I've been eyeballing the GSX-S1000, MT-10, Ninja 1000, and possibly a used Speed Triple. I'm most reluctant to mess with any Euro bike for obvious reasons. I've always serviced the bikes myself, other than valve adjustments. The deals are by far the best on new 2019/2020 GSX-S1000's. I would add the MRA shield and some saddle bags. The MT-10 and N1K both have cruise, which is a big plus, but not the be all end all. I've bought all my bikes new from Sport Cycles in Rockingham NC since 1999, except for my first one and two used 95 CBR600's. No one has ever been within $500 of them. They only charge a $99 doc fee, no other fees.
I'm not seeing what I could call deals on MT-10's, saw a 17 FZ-10 with 6K for $9800. The new N1K is about $12500 or so at MSRP. That bike being the slowest of the bunch and I never loved the handling on my 14 N1K. I'm just outside of Raleigh NC if anyone has any feedback or ideas. This looks like a cool bunch on this forum from the threads I've visited. I could consider getting a used one as the 16-17's seem to make more power and I'm not far from Chris Moore, not sure if Ivan tunes these.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Wow, you've owned a lot of very nice bikes. I really don't have experience with any of those so I can't compare. As far as power goes, I don't think you'll notice much difference year to year. Suzuki claimed to increase by several HP in either 17 or 18 I think, but I've also heard that they finally started rating the bhp closer to reality too. MT-10, Ninja 1000, Speed Triple, all nice bikes and i don't think you can go wrong. I do think anecdotal evidence points to Suzuki as the most bullet proof. Post up what you decide... even if it's not the S1000. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, you've owned a lot of very nice bikes. I really don't have experience with any of those so I can't compare. As far as power goes, I don't think you'll notice much difference year to year. Suzuki claimed to increase by several HP in either 17 or 18 I think, but I've also heard that they finally started rating the bhp closer to reality too. MT-10, Ninja 1000, Speed Triple, all nice bikes and i don't think you can go wrong. I do think anecdotal evidence points to Suzuki as the most bullet proof. Post up what you decide... even if it's not the S1000. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m in the early stage of deciding. Gotta sell a small retro style travel trailer next month. Unless I come across a really cheap, low mileage almost perfect used bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You should consider looking all over the country and paying shipping for a brand new model that's a few years old. I got my 2019 gsxs1000 brand new in late december for $8300 total out the door, at that price you could pay to have it shipped anywhere in the lower 48 for under 9k and have some money left over for upgrades if you want.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Is it just for you or for the Mrs as well. The rear seat on the Ninja is probably the best for a passenger and there is built in luggage. The MT and the GSXS are better handling for the mountains and more sporty riding, the MT having slightly more features and hooligan gearing. Cant stand the transformers front end though.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The MT 10 is heavy on gas the gsxs is good on gas I’ve owned 2 speed triples both 08 models and had trouble with the clutch on both bikes and other stupid problems so no more Triumph 4 me.
For me it would be a toss up between the z and the gsxs.
I’m not real sure about euro bikes I’ve owned a 990 super duke for 5 years no issues plus a Guzzi that had a head gasket leak at 19000ks plus like I said 2 speed triples and when ever I rode those bike I’m thinking in the back of my mind that I hope I don’t have a break down but it never enters my head when riding a Japanese bike.

·
Registered
2018 Blue/Black F
124 Posts
I find the gsxs seat a bit uncomfy for anything over 3hrs. Although I’ve gotten used to the snatchy throttle, after a bit in the saddle and you’re a bit tired it becomes a bit torturous.
If I was looking a bike with a bit of touring in mind I’d give the Kwaka with its cruise control a good looking at.
Hope that helps 👍

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a bunch! I'll stay away from the Euro bikes. The one I found for sale, the owner has only had it for one year. I gotta ride the new N1K. They have made quite a few changes since my 14.

·
Registered
370 Posts
About an year ago I was thinking to sell the GSXS and move ahead to the new CB1000R+, but right now I am really keen to pull the trigger on a 2020 MT-10 Yamaha. Unfortunately the MT-10 does not meet the EURO5 standards, so I have to buy the 2020 model (the only difference between those two models is the color scheme). It comes with a lot of electronic gadgets, qss up-down, ride-by-wire throttle system, D-Mode, LED lighting, cruise control, more engine power and so on, all this stuff for only 2.000 euro plus than the 2020 GSXS1000. There is someone interested to buy my bike and maybe at the end of this month I'll have a chat with a Yamaha dealer. The GSXS is a very good and reliable bike, it's not expensive for a liter bike, but I think is time for me to move forward.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
About a year ago I was thinking to sell the GSXS and move ahead to CB1000R+, but right now I am really keen to pull the trigger on a 2020 MT-10 Yamaha. Unfortunately the MT-10 does not meet the EURO5 standards, so I have to buy the 2020 model (the only difference between those two models is the color scheme ). It comes with lot of electronic gadgets, qss up-down, ride-by-wire throttle system, D-Mode, LED lighting, cruise control, more engine power and so on, all this for 2000 euro plus than the 2020 GSXS1000. There is someone interested to buy my bike and maybe at the end of this month I'll have a chat with a Yamaha dealer. GSXS is a very good bike, it's not expensive for a liter bike, but I think is time for me to move forward.
I watched a video of two guys doing roll on races and the GSX ran away from the MT-10 4th gear at 100km. I was shocked. The MT-10 offers a lot, but they don’t seem to deal on them much here in the US and they hold their value, both very good signs.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I rode an MT-09 for about three years. Overall a very good engine but lots of corners cut on the other stuff. The Rear shock was a piece of junk and believe it or not my 2016 GXS1000F out handles it by quite a bit. Don't know much about the street or speed triples other than that I'm a big Triumph fan. I also have a 2006 Sprint ST 1050 which I love but can't compete with my 1000F. The Kawi looks like a very interesting bike. I think if I were to get rid of my GXS I would seriously entertain one of those. A bit heavier but more suited for some comfortable longer hauls. I recently rode a BMW S1000XR.
A little soft in the suspension for me but a really nice overall bike except for the outlandish price of about $21k loaded. The Kawi comes with luggage for around $13.5 all in which is a better deal and may be a better bike. Before I give it my approval I would like to ride one but it does look like the way to go unless you can get a really good deal on a leftover GXS or something like that. I've put 15k miles on my 1000F and it is still a blast to ride and I'm afraid to move to the Kawi because I think I would miss all the great stuff the GXS does for me! Good Luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I rode an MT-09 for about three years. Overall a very good engine but lots of corners cut on the other stuff. The Rear shock was a piece of junk and believe it or not my 2016 GXS1000F out handles it by quite a bit. Don't know much about the street or speed triples other than that I'm a big Triumph fan. I also have a 2006 Sprint ST 1050 which I love but can't compete with my 1000F. The Kawi looks like a very interesting bike. I think if I were to get rid of my GXS I would seriously entertain one of those. A bit heavier but more suited for some comfortable longer hauls. I recently rode a BMW S1000XR.
A little soft in the suspension for me but a really nice overall bike except for the outlandish price of about $21k loaded. The Kawi comes with luggage for around $13.5 all in which is a better deal and may be a better bike. Before I give it my approval I would like to ride one but it does look like the way to go unless you can get a really good deal on a leftover GXS or something like that. I've put 15k miles on my 1000F and it is still a blast to ride and I'm afraid to move to the Kawi because I think I would miss all the great stuff the GXS does for me! Good Luck!
The Zuke is definitely the faster bike and possibly better handling, but not a true “sport tourer” like the Ninja.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I wouldn't put the gsx-s in the sport tourer category. It doesn't have factory luggage and little accommodation for a pillion. Even the aftermarket options are a compromise.
It's a thrilling ride that is great for a solo rider wishing to commute and enjoy twisty roads on the weekend.
I really dislike Kawasaki so I know little about their new bikes but the MT10 makes alot of sense. There is alot to gain, the only things it gives up to the gsx-s are fuel efficiency and reliability which for people like myself, are at the top of the list.

·
Registered
147 Posts
gsxs 1000 has more grunt etc, but I read generally the ninja 1k' touring bikes are much nicer for touring with their hard storage.

for solo riding/summer excursions with gf. gsxs is fun, but not touring bike imo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also am considering a used low mile Concours, but I seem to remember not liking the top heavy handling on a test ride several years ago. Love the looks, shaft drive, power, storage, and seat for wifey.

·
Registered
2018 Blue/Black F
124 Posts
I'll stay away from the Euro bikes.
Quite a number of years ago I was a mechanic for Audi / VW and... not great and extremely expensive for what you get. They tend to over-engineer things which adds to manufacturing and repair costs, which are passed on to the consumer. Several months ago I was speaking with a guy who was a watchmaker. We got on the topic of Euro stuff and his experience was very much the same with Jap / Euro watches.

If you own a Euro bike / car and you are completely satisfied then I have no issues with you disagreeing with me.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Quite a number of years ago I was a mechanic for Audi / VW and... not great and extremely expensive for what you get. They tend to over-engineer things which adds to manufacturing and repair costs, which are passed on to the consumer. Several months ago I was speaking with a guy who was a watchmaker. We got on the topic of Euro stuff and his experience was very much the same with Jap / Euro watches.

If you own a Euro bike / car and you are completely satisfied then I have no issues with you disagreeing with me.
I totally agree. That over-engineering often results in a functional high end product but the cost has to be paid somewhere along the line.
I am selling my 2011 VW polo due to its's age and the extremely high parts pricing. I just bought a small plastic clip that allows the centre console/armrest to open and it was $70.

There is an opinion that the Japanese cars and motorcycles are dull/boring but you can't argue with the statistics which show that they are still at the top of reliability.
Of course it's totally dependent on ones circumstances. I would buy an Aprilia or Ducati as a weekend joy toy. I live out of town and my motorcycle is our second vehicle, you can't put a price on reliability for my needs.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts