GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I agree totally about Euro built vehicles. Honda is the only Japanese bike that I find “sterile” or lacking soulful character. Well, I’ve only ridden one Yamaha, an Eluder Gt. Didn’t care for it at all.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I'm actually really liking the new MT09. 416lbs. Power to weight right up there and updated electronics, quick shifter, slipper clutch, especially with the SP suspension upgrades. I think I'd take that over the MT10.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
About an year ago I was thinking to sell the GSXS and move ahead to the new CB1000R+, but right now I am really keen to pull the trigger on a 2020 MT-10 Yamaha. Unfortunately the MT-10 does not meet the EURO5 standards, so I have to buy the 2020 model (the only difference between those two models is the color scheme). It comes with a lot of electronic gadgets, qss up-down, ride-by-wire throttle system, D-Mode, LED lighting, cruise control, more engine power and so on, all this stuff for only 2.000 euro plus than the 2020 GSXS1000. There is someone interested to buy my bike and maybe at the end of this month I'll have a chat with a Yamaha dealer. The GSXS is a very good and reliable bike, it's not expensive for a liter bike, but I think is time for me to move forward.
Hi Old Mate,
Just make sure you've had a few test rides on the MT10 before committing. Last year, I was speaking with a Yamaha Sales Manager who I have known for a few years as he worked in the Suzuki Shop.
We were going through the new Yam bikes on the floor and I said I was interested in the MT10 as a change from the last GSX-S1K.
So as I remember it, there was a 2019 bike that was unsold and gathering cobwebs. So we discussed it in detail.
They were similar in sales to the GSX-S in that the initial sales rush had faded very much so out here, and people go for the cheaper MT-09 & the better value SP.

I asked was it 'snatchy' like the 16 GSX-S. He said YES, very firmly, and that was the end of that one for me.

My biased recommendation (as I currently own one) is the current Kawasaki Ninja 1000 for the OP.
2014 version : They don't compare as the current 20/21 bike has had continuous improvements in every department.
I've had more new bikes than most here could ever guess at over the last 30 years; the Ninja is the pick of the lot of them as a big sports bike, including my 2 GSX-S1000 Naked's.
The only change I'd like is having the foot pegs more towards the front, as it does have a sports bike canter to the rider position which gets tiring at the end of a long day in the one position if you don't stop.

Such a versatile machine, that needs to be experienced for yourselves. The GSX-S is a basic bike with a bonza engine, but a simple suspension fitted with cheap hard springing to give it a 'sportiness'.
When you back off the springs, it's nothing special, the 'magic' has gone elsewhere.

The Ninja handles every bit as well as a stock GSX-S, but at the same time of giving a magic carpet ride straight out of the box. No windscreen issues, just a bubble of quiet air around the rider.
I can't ask for more from it. My 6 months ownership will soon be up on it, and it's getting hard to find a better bike. 200 kms round trip yesterday and it did not falter one bit, but I did, too hot here.

Next up, I want to go to a smaller and lighter class of bike as the fearless downhill Boy Racer has left my old body.
SV650 again, DL650, or a Z650/900RS or one of each. Most certainly I'll get the Z900RS when stocks arrive eventually. Shops are so so empty of new stock now, because of Covid.
Perhaps a base 21 Gold Wing minus throne, and then I'll retire from bikes altogether, job done.

Rob.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi Rob,

Good to know about your experience.
But it's nothing new under sun, right? I'm speaking about the snatchy thing...
I will try to have a test ride before buying one. Now I can say the snatchy throttle doesn't scare me at all. I got used to it.
Newer Euro standards come along with it and it will get worse as time goes by, so we will have to live with this, like we have to live with the Covid ****.
As Motorhead said long time ago it's just a "March or die" thing at the end.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hi Rob,

Good to know about your experience.
But it's nothing new under sun, right? I'm speaking about the snatchy thing...
I will try to have a test ride before buying one. Now I can say the snatchy throttle doesn't scary me at all. I got used to it.
Newer Euro standards come with it and it will get worst as time goes by, so we will have to live with this, like we have to live with the Covid ****.
As Motorhead said long time ago it's just a "March or die" thing at the end.
From my experience with Euro 5 bikes, I think there's an improvement over E4 bikes. The harsher standards I guess has caused the issue to be 're thought out' all over again.
The bandaid approach is not good enough to pass E5. The Katana that test rode was E5 from it's release and it was pretty good. More than the throttle tube involved I think.
Noise is another E5 causality. The huge can hanging off the side of the Ninja causes the bike to veer slowly to the right a bit if you take both hands of the bars. Not just mime, the all do it.
The E4 old bike had double cans each side and that balanced the weight.
You spoke of the Honda. It looks like all the unable to be sold Euro 4's by Dec 20, still crated in ther box CB1000R's got re exported, some to the US I expect and to Australia as 2021 models.
My shop got a white one. I was pretty excited as I had just seen the 2021 new version on Youtube. It gets a new TFT display, more power and torque and smoother acceleration curve.
Very disappointed when I saw it had the old type hard to see in daylight LCD speedo ! It was on my list too.

Rob.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Slower and slower, really appreciate your feedback. Sounds like I need to ride the newer Ninja 1000. It may be the most well rounded bike and value out there. Hopefully my guys will be able to make me a smoking deal as I haven't really seen any big discounts. Back in 14, I think I got 4000-4500 off. I also bought a 08 CBR1000RR there for $6999!!! They sell for that and more now!!! Times have changed though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
the MT09 is a snatchy bike and delivered with a crap rear shock.
would recommend the SP version.
if you like touring you might want to consider the Tracer 900, havent ride that bike but i guess it needs a little tweeking aswell.

the MT10, i rode it and its snatchy aswell but not that much as the MT09.
sure on paper it has more power then the gsx-s1000 but on the dyno the make max 145-148 stock.
it feels faster due the low end torque and shorter wheel base but in fact it is just as fast as the gsx-s1000.
my Gsx-s1000 stock did 148 stock at the rear wheel on the dyno.

the Z1000 is tuned for torque and has low ground clearange.
the Gsx-s1000 is by far the better bike for twisties.
the Z1000 stock sounds great aswell with its induction roar and looks better then the gsx-s1000.
but overal de Suzuki is the better bike.

considered the Bmw s1000xr?

The Gsx-s1000 is best liter bike for your money but needs a little tweeking aswell.
i did a remap and the bike runs super smooth.
on 99% of the roads i ride i have no problem with the rear shock, still consider to upgrade it with a k-tech suspension.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Quite a number of years ago I was a mechanic for Audi / VW and... not great and extremely expensive for what you get. They tend to over-engineer things which adds to manufacturing and repair costs, which are passed on to the consumer. Several months ago I was speaking with a guy who was a watchmaker. We got on the topic of Euro stuff and his experience was very much the same with Jap / Euro watches.

If you own a Euro bike / car and you are completely satisfied then I have no issues with you disagreeing with me.
I’ve still got and running 1977 Seiko 6309 dive watch that I got for my 21st.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
BMW is a no for me. Don’t feel like dealing with the snobbish attitude of most of their dealers and they are few and far. Too much $$$ as well. Ideally, I want to be at $10k or less. MT-09 SP is cool but has a hideous headlight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Chris Moore can tune a Gsx-s1000.
IF the bike has a snatchy throttle its an easy fix, if not no need to tune it.

i guess you should test ride them both to make a decision but power wise you cant compare the MT-09 with the Gsx-s1000 ( its par with the MT10 )

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I wasn’t considering the MT09, just responding to another post. I can deal with the MT10 transformer look, just not the MT09’s hideous headlight. The MT10 is the same money as the N1K though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
No to contradict myself, but I was eyeballing a few used, low mile BMW K1300S’s. But I said “out of warranty BMW you idiot, move along”. They sure look like a great sport touring setup though.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
when talking touring we talking riding around with the old lady for a day or hitting the road for a few weeks at a time .. DR 650 go around the world for months and months and months at a time....i know more so called touring bike owners that open there bag to grab there hat ,so there head dont get sunburnt because they took a ten minute ride to get a coffee

·
Registered
135 Posts
Some people here have gotten some amazing deals, myself I paid 9200 + 800 taxes. I told them 10k out the door for my gsxs 1000 naked 18. (in 2018) and I got it.
I don't know the exact figures, but I read people getting gsxs 1000 new for like 7k otd.

I have had mine coming up 3 years now, (2021 now) and I have 2k miles, I really need more miles on it but it serves its purpose, fun rides here and there.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I am also considering touring and can appreciate the utility of the bikes mentioned here.
My vote is for a Vstrom. You could opt for the 650, i love grunt and the new Vstrom 1050XT will replace my gsx-s when funds permit.

·
Administrator
403 Posts
when talking touring we talking riding around with the old lady for a day or hitting the road for a few weeks at a time .. DR 650 go around the world for months and months and months at a time....i know more so called touring bike owners that open there bag to grab there hat ,so there head dont get sunburnt because they took a ten minute ride to get a coffee
Careful. I’m bald. 😂😂😂

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Me too! I’m talking about enough storage for a weekend away, probably solo. I doubt she will ride anything other than a Goldwing ish bike.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts