GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've recently bought a GSXS 1000 abs in red and black, absolutely love the bike, just a couple of issues which I see other people are having as well with the very snatchey throttle! Only picked the bike up on Monday so I'm going to get into contact with the shop I got it from in St. Helens, I see some people have said that a pcv fixes it, stupid question what is a pcv? Also a reflash of the ecu? Any help much appreciated!
All the best, Michael!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
PCV = Power Commander 5.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey everyone! Thanks makes more sense now haha!

My bikes only got 150 miles on the clock I picked it up as a brand new bike on Monday m, noticed it was very snatchy at lower speeds mainly on the initial turn of the throttle straight away, I've read the reviews about it, so I knew what I was getting involved with, going to ring Suzuki over the weekend make them aware see what they say and/or do, failing that I'll get the ecu re flashed but I have no clue as to how to go about it all, woolich I've been reading a lot about? Any one have any ideas how I would go about getting the ecu reflashed?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
try taking all the free play out of the throttle first it makes a big difference
You should have some, not a lot, but a little doesn't hurt. Otherwise you're stretching the cable(s) at full throttle and under hard braking if you have a good grip on it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers chicagoAJ, I will keep that in mind if I end up adjusting them, hoping they should be okay as it's a new bike haha

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Cheers chicagoAJ, I will keep that in mind if I end up adjusting them, hoping they should be okay as it's a new bike haha

It's really all rider preference. I like a bit of slop so I have extra room in turns or if I grab the throttle quickly and my hand isn't positioned normal.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hey everyone, I've recently bought a GSXS 1000 abs in red and black, absolutely love the bike, just a couple of issues which I see other people are having as well with the very snatchey throttle! Only picked the bike up on Monday so I'm going to get into contact with the shop I got it from in St. Helens, I see some people have said that a pcv fixes it, stupid question what is a pcv? Also a reflash of the ecu? Any help much appreciated!
All the best, Michael!

Hi Michael,
For starters, Welcome to the GSXS Forum and the ever growing band of R & BLK Riders here,

With the snatch, seeing that you have read the previous posts, just confirm first that the Primary Throttle Position Sensor has been ACCURATELY set.
Your Dealer can hook up the diagnostic software tool and verify that and should not charge you as it takes a minute and requires no panels to be removed as the socket is under the rear seat and they should be well aware of any adjustment needed and claim for that as a warranty claim on Suzuki UK who are well aware of the issue. Hopefully your bike is post May 2016 build and so has the ECU second generation software loaded.

Rob.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Rob, I'll give them a call today see if I can take the bike down on Monday to get it checked and see what they find, is there anyway I can see when the bike was built or is that something only the dealer will have access to?

Michael.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hey everyone! Thanks makes more sense now haha!

My bikes only got 150 miles on the clock I picked it up as a brand new bike on Monday m, noticed it was very snatchy at lower speeds mainly on the initial turn of the throttle straight away, I've read the reviews about it, so I knew what I was getting involved with, going to ring Suzuki over the weekend make them aware see what they say and/or do, failing that I'll get the ecu re flashed but I have no clue as to how to go about it all, woolich I've been reading a lot about? Any one have any ideas how I would go about getting the ecu reflashed?

Hi and welcome from sunny Devon
If you want to go down the re-flash route, which I would recommend, have a chat to Hilltop, hilltop motorcycles 01455 848522
that's where mine was re-flashed and I have none of the issues mentioned on any of the threads ion this forum

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi and welcome from sunny Devon
If you want to go down the re-flash route, which I would recommend, have a chat to Hilltop, hilltop motorcycles 01455 848522
that's where mine was re-flashed and I have none of the issues mentioned on any of the threads ion this forum

Hello and cheers for the information, did you bike suffer from the snatcy throttle before you had it re flashed? Only 2 hours ride from my home to hilltops, can you remember how much it cost to get it done?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hello and cheers for the information, did you bike suffer from the snatcy throttle before you had it re flashed? Only 2 hours ride from my home to hilltops, can you remember how much it cost to get it done?

It was done along with a Racefit can and collector box/cat removal before I picked it up, pretty sure the re-flash is about £350, I don't recall the demo bike I rode having any serious issues, I was one of the first to ride it back in early 2015, it was raining and I was only 30 minutes on it so didn't have time to fully put it thru its paces but saying that I had just test rode a MT-07 and that was the most dangerous thing that I had ever ridden, and I have been ridding for nearly 40 years.

You wont regret a re-flash at Hilltop, mine pulls from 30mph in top gear and is supper smooth across the rev range. has more power and a lot more mid range torque. I spent a week down in the Alps over the summer and had no trouble with the twisty mountain roads, every thing as smooth as you like, it's only my opinion but maybe some on here are exaggerating how bad they perceive the "problem" to be, the way some go on I'm surprised that there hasn't been hundreds of fatal crashes with the GSX-S across the world

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers Zak I will give them a ring once I'm not in work, would an ecu re flash void any warranties? My throttle snatch isn't the worst I've seen, just a little concerning when I'm going around a slow bend and it starts making me act as if I'm on a bucking horse haha! If all goes well get a new exhaust for it next year and get it booked in for the re flash :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Cheers Zak I will give them a ring once I'm not in work, would an ecu re flash void any warranties? My throttle snatch isn't the worst I've seen, just a little concerning when I'm going around a slow bend and it starts making me act as if I'm on a bucking horse haha! If all goes well get a new exhaust for it next year and get it booked in for the re flash :)

Not sure about the warranty, but hey,, what they don't know, can't hurt them

·
Registered
593 Posts
Had mine reflashed at hilltop for £360 in stock form and it cured the unpredictable surge when gently rolling on the throttle at low revs. I can now also hold it at a steady 30mph without feeling like I'm on a bucking bronco! Very pleased with the results and worth the investment to make it much more enjoyable to ride. The throttle is still quite sensitive from closed, but perfectly predictable. I've removed almost all of the free play and my TPS is showing correctly on the dash display, but I may lift the tank and measure it with a calibrated DMM to see if I can fine tune it a little more.

Although I had a before and after dyno run, the map wasn't altered for my specific bike and Geoff at Hilltop told me that I won't need to change the new map if I change the exhaust etc. Apparently it will now 'learn' if I change anything, but I don't really understand how it can do that.

He also said that a dealer wouldn't be able to see the new map and it would look like the original was still in place, so no problem with the warranty as they wont know it's been reflashed.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Cheers Zak I will give them a ring once I'm not in work, would an ecu re flash void any warranties? My throttle snatch isn't the worst I've seen, just a little concerning when I'm going around a slow bend and it starts making me act as if I'm on a bucking horse haha! If all goes well get a new exhaust for it next year and get it booked in for the re flash

Michael,
Of course you warranty would be void as far as Suzuki are concerned if the ECU is remapped.
You would have to convince them otherwise that the remap mod had no bearing on any engine claim for warranty work.
It also would no longer comply with Euro 4 Emissions in the UK. Race track use now only as far as the Modifier will state, just like a loud muffler.

The only way Suzuki would know if your bike was to have a motor failure with in the warranty time frame and you claimed on it.
This would assume that Suzuki UK would send your bike back to Japan for investigation as the Factory obviously would like to know why it failed.

The ECU would record all the running important sensor details at the time of failure, and they can see all of the software in the ECU.
Suzuki JP could just 'dial in' to the ECU at Suzuki UK workshops and snoop around too in the ECU for all I know and the local wrenches would strip the motor down and file a report on the mechanical parts that failed to save the freight cost.

Can a Dealer tell from his set up equipment and inform Suzuki UK ? I Don't know, but I doubt it very much as only a small part of the ECU is remapped.
If your MOT needs a smog test in the future then your a bit worried I'd say, and need a Mate with clean skin one to borrow for a day.

Somewhere on your bike frame you should have a compliance plate with the VIN and or serial numbers and a some date e.g. Oct 2016 stamped on it.

Rob.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Michael,
Of course you warranty would be void as far as Suzuki are concerned if the ECU is remapped.
You would have to convince them otherwise that the remap mod had no bearing on any engine claim for warranty work.
It also would no longer comply with Euro 4 Emissions in the UK. Race track use now only as far as the Modifier will state, just like a loud muffler.

The only way Suzuki would know if your bike was to have a motor failure with in the warranty time frame and you claimed on it.
This would assume that Suzuki UK would send your bike back to Japan for investigation as the Factory obviously would like to know why it failed.

The ECU would record all the running important sensor details at the time of failure, and they can see all of the software in the ECU.
Suzuki JP could just 'dial in' to the ECU at Suzuki UK workshops and snoop around too in the ECU for all I know and the local wrenches would strip the motor down and file a report on the mechanical parts that failed to save the freight cost.

Can a Dealer tell from his set up equipment and inform Suzuki UK ? I Don't know, but I doubt it very much as only a small part of the ECU is remapped.
If your MOT needs a smog test in the future then your a bit worried I'd say, and need a Mate with clean skin one to borrow for a day.

Somewhere on your bike frame you should have a compliance plate with the VIN and or serial numbers and a some date e.g. Oct 2016 stamped on it.

Rob.

Cheers for the info, I've got it booked in for tomorrow to go into the shop to see if it's just the tps that needs adjusting, would an aftermarket slip on exhaust void any warranties?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Cheers for the info, I've got it booked in for tomorrow to go into the shop to see if it's just the tps that needs adjusting, would an aftermarket slip on exhaust void any warranties?

No, not at all INMHO.
The Noise Police could get tinnitus if it's the right volume, lol.

Rob.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts