GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here!

I rode dirtbikes throughout my childhood up until I graduated high school (I'm 26 now). I wanted to get into street bikes, so I started on a 1981 Yamaha XJ550 in 2018, moved to a 2004 Yamaha fz6 in 2019, then added a 2019 Tao Tao TBR7 (chinese dual sport). After getting over the fz6 in 2 months, I went and bought a 2009 Triumph speed triple which lasted until winter. Now I'm onto this bike for 2020. So far I've been buying newer/faster bikes each year, I'm debating whether I'll be keeping this one or trading it in. I really do enjoy having the reliability and comfort of the gsx-s, but I also miss the powerband of a large triple or a v4. Might do the exhaust and rear shock next, but I'm not sure yet. I've been eyeing up the new streetfighter v4 or tuono 1100 factory, so I'm not sure if I want to sink any more money into this one just yet. I want to say thanks for all the insight already, before I was a member I learned a lot from the various posts in this community.

I bought my 2017 gsx-s in April with 2500 miles on it and put a Dano's ecu flash, quickshifter, and BMC air filter on it. Then I added some Michelin Road 5's (190/55 in the rear). Just yesterday I installed a new 520 chain with a 16/47 sprocket setup. Holy moly is this thing fun now! I was trying to get it to wheelie easier, and this definitely did the trick. I may even go to a 48 tooth rear for a little more fun. I can now clutch up 1st, 2nd, and 3rd with relative ease. 3rd is a little tougher, but still doable. Now the bike has 5000 miles on it and I've had zero issues.

-DVM17

·
Registered
221 Posts
There's always something else out there calling and the Tuono is mine but I just don't like the looks of the front end (not that ours is much better looking). Also, the reliability and cost of maintenance steers me away. I may add another 2nd bike but I think the GSX-S1000 will stay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, I've been searching here thoroughly but I can't find the answer. Here's my little story.....

I was coming home from work and the bike was running fine, I stopped and got gas in town and just cruised my way home (2 miles away) with no full throttle. The next day I went on a 300 mile ride with my friend and my gsx-s felt super sluggish. Like it had a decent bit of grunt down low, but not what I was used to. And the top end wasn't there at all, no kick in the butt at 8k rpm like I'm used to. Even with my sprocket change (16/47) it wouldn't lift the front wheel in 1st gear under power with tcs off. I filled up 3 times total on our trip and it's still feeling slow. My friend's fz09 was right next to me when we raced and even before the sprocket change I would walk him pretty well. So there's something definitely wrong with it. It was around 85 degrees and a bit humid that day, but I wouldn't think that would rob 20-30 (ish) hp from my bike.

It seemingly idles fine and rides smoothly, it just doesn't have the power it used to. I thought it was bad gas so I threw some octane booster in it to no avail. I now have the tank off it and I'm just inspecting all of the wiring and changing the plugs to be safe. Has anyone ran into this kind of issue before? I was also going to unplug the harness for my quickshifter temporarily to see if that makes a difference. I don't know what else to try, there's no check engine light or anything. Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
On a similar thread it turned out to be a clogged fuel filter. See this.

Reactions: DVM17

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On a similar thread it turned out to be a clogged fuel filter. See this.
Thanks for the link! I'll have to look into it further to see if that is the potential cause. I'm not having any sputtering issues though, just lower power. I guess that could still be a clogged fuel filter or something.

Also an update, I got the spark plugs changed and they looked great coming out. I took it back out for a ride and it was still down on power the same amount. For the next step, I'm going to unplug my quickshifter harness and revert it back to stock configuration to see if that box is causing any sort of resistance. If that's not the culprit, I guess I'll move into fuel related things like the fuel pump and filter. I emailed Dano's to see if they had any insight and they said if I'm not getting any lights for ignition or fuel problems then they don't know what could be going on. Updates to follow, I'm taking it apart again when I get home today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, I just remembered that I tightened my chain before my long ride as well. Do we think that too tight of a chain will cause that much power loss? I do have a whining sound on deceleration. I'm going to loosen the chain and see if that does anything, here's to hoping it's that simple.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it turns out that my chain had the proper amount of slack, but according to the swingarm marks the side to side was off by quite a bit. After "straightening" the wheel back up, it does feel better. Not a crazy amount better, but enough that maybe I just have to accept that I'm used to the power now. It still doesn't feel like it has the "kick in the pants" I remember at 8k rpm, but again maybe I'm just used to it now.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I go through phases like that with mine.
If I've been riding a lot, especially at pace, I get so used to it it doesn't feel that powerful. Then, if I have a break, come back to it a couple of weeks later, it feels quick all over again.
For me it's most noticeable in the spring. The roads have been cold and wet all winter and I've spent most of my time just tiptoeing around. Then the roads warm up and all of a sudden it's like WOW! where did this beast come from?:LOL:

·
Registered
628 Posts
200km/hr+ will never feel as fast as the first time you reach it. Every bike i've owned has been more powerful than the last.
I can't wait until i'm old enough to stop chasing the dragon.
I think i'll be ready come time to purchase my next bike.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
200km/hr+ will never feel as fast as the first time you reach it. Every bike i've owned has been more powerful than the last.
I can't wait until i'm old enough to stop chasing the dragon.
I think i'll be ready come time to purchase my next bike.
Too true. I remember getting my first superbike back when I was in my twenties. The first time I floored that and put my chin on the tank it felt like the world had turned into a blur. I thought wow! how can anybody ride at these speeds.
Now not so much and it's easy.

I guess im a bit older then you and not so interested in top end anymore. It was a bit of a down grade changing to the GSXS for me and one of the first things I wanted to find out was, would it still excite me enough like my old bikes used to? The answer was yes, you have to work it a little harder but it will do and it's comfier to boot.
I'd rather be finding a good set of bends and hitting some apexes. When everything is flowing, it's just great. I don't need to be hitting 160mph+ any more. Give me some tight and twisties and I'm happy:giggle:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dvm17 I use to live in Houtzdale, and worked in State college

1 - 14 of 14 Posts