GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Happy to be here. Long time owner of a gsxr750, ktm500, and hyper821. New to the forum with a new to me '18 z. Picked up a barely ridden z model with 500 miles on it. Then had the pleasure of opening up the tail to remove the very poorly done aftermarket (not intended for this bike at all) fender eliminator kit, only to find no license plate light wire. PO pulled the wire at the quick connect and decided it wasn't needed. Then spliced wire to wire to wire inline for 3 feet for the turn signals. Zip-tied the wire ball on top of the tool kit. Nothing done correctly. Just had the bike delivered and now looking for someone's stock license plate light wire to use for the new plate lights. Let the mods begin !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I have seen a few things from PA guys on here. I'm just outside of Erie in the NW. Looking forward to making this bike my own. Before it arrived , I ordered a few basics. New fender eliminator, some evotech sliders & engine covers, new tank pads, wheel stickers, yosh R11 and new intake filter. That's a start at least. Probably wait to do the exhaust, cat delete, and intake until I'm thru break in mileage

·
Registered
653 Posts
Planning to go through Moore Mafia in SC, next spring to have the ecu flashed
I originally had Dano's Performance in California flash mine. I'm totally happy with his service and the results of the flash, except for the idle surge/fluctuating idle once the bike warms up. It absolutely annoys the **** out of me. A couple other members have dealt with this same problem and sent their ECU's back to him to be corrected. From what I've read, he raised their idle speed and richened it up a bit at idle, but it only made a small improvement and didn't totally correct the issue.

Chris Moore of Cycle Specialties/Moore Mafia says the bike is hunting at idle because it's too lean and he claims he can fix it. I'd prefer to take the bike to him for in-person dyno tuning, but if I can't work that into my schedule I'll just have to send him my ECU for a reflash.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The bike I bought was flashed by Karns and I have the same fluctuations at idle but runs HARD from 4K up
Yeah, it seems to be a common theme. The bike didn't suffer from the idle surge with the Lextek header and Akrapovic slip-on, only when I swapped the Lextek header for the Arrow header did it start surging. It was flashed before the switch, too. I can only assume that the larger diameter tubing of the Arrow leaned it out at idle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts