GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, Forum members. Thanks for the add. I'm looking to purchase a long term street bike after selling my KTM 300 XCW last year. Last year I rode a BMW K1200LT that I purchased from a friend just to see if I still enjoyed street riding. I really had a great time riding in the mountains of western Colorado. I never thought I'd enjoy the Beemer, but it was quite fun to ride and more sporty than I thought possible.

The BMW taught me a few things:

1.) I don't want a Beemer as my long term bike, for a number of reasons. Great motorcycles, not for me.

2.) I don't want a 850 pound motorcycle.

3.) I love turning and leaning, so no Harley.

4.) Heated grips are awesome! Few bikes seem to have them as an option, but the aftermarket appears to have things covered.

5.) Cruise control, never thought I'd use it as much as I have. That's partly due to this model BMW having a difficult-to-turn throttle.

6.) I rather like a windshield/screen and fairing.

7.) I don't require Samsonite luggage on a motorcycle. My riding usually brings me home that evening, if not, it's just an overnighter.

8.) My bum wears out before anything else, so whatever is required in that regard, comfort-wise, I'll do.

After looking around on the internet and youtube, I've narrowed my selection down to the Suzuki GSX-S1000F and the Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX. I like the more upright seating arrangement, the liter class power, and the more sporty nature of these bikes.

I'm 64 yo and I tend to keep vehicles a long time. I enjoy maintaining and working on my bikes. I'll be riding one-up as my wife also rides and is terrified on the pillion. :) "Fixing" the perceived-by-me shortcomings of motorcycles and making them suit me are interesting pursuits for me. I realize no bike is made for me, personally, but that is part of the fun of motorcycles.

I look forward to gleaning wisdom from fellow forum members and thank you in advance for sharing your experiences.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Try to test ride a GSXS if you get a chance. One thing I wasn't a fan of on mine (2018 F model) initially was the gearing (engine sounded too "busy" on the highway), so I swapped out the sprockets (+1 front, -1 rear) and went to a 190/55 rear tire, that made the engine much happier on the highway (it also made for a rather tall first gear but I don't mind that) and highway fuel economy also improved about 10% (not that it was bad before but now it's great). My handlebar buzzed a fair bit at 6,400 rpm (which I almost never actually visit) so I filled it with BBs and that fixed that. Like yourself, I re-sculpted my saddle myself to my liking. Other than that the bike is bone stock, 10K miles on the clock and ticking.

I'm 66 years old and not at all a hooligan, so even with the taller gearing this bike has MUCH more power than I'll ever use. Lazy weekend day rides with my cousin are my favorite rides (I also commute on the bike, it makes a superb commuter IMO).

If you're like me you'll love the bike. That said, try it before you buy it if you can...bikes are a very personal thing.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Greetings, Forum members. Thanks for the add. I'm looking to purchase a long term street bike after selling my KTM 300 XCW last year. Last year I rode a BMW K1200LT that I purchased from a friend just to see if I still enjoyed street riding. I really had a great time riding in the mountains of western Colorado. I never thought I'd enjoy the Beemer, but it was quite fun to ride and more sporty than I thought possible.

The BMW taught me a few things:

1.) I don't want a Beemer as my long term bike, for a number of reasons. Great motorcycles, not for me.

2.) I don't want a 850 pound motorcycle.

3.) I love turning and leaning, so no Harley.

4.) Heated grips are awesome! Few bikes seem to have them as an option, but the aftermarket appears to have things covered.

5.) Cruise control, never thought I'd use it as much as I have. That's partly due to this model BMW having a difficult-to-turn throttle.

6.) I rather like a windshield/screen and fairing.

7.) I don't require Samsonite luggage on a motorcycle. My riding usually brings me home that evening, if not, it's just an overnighter.

8.) My bum wears out before anything else, so whatever is required in that regard, comfort-wise, I'll do.

After looking around on the internet and youtube, I've narrowed my selection down to the Suzuki GSX-S1000F and the Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX. I like the more upright seating arrangement, the liter class power, and the more sporty nature of these bikes.

I'm 64 yo and I tend to keep vehicles a long time. I enjoy maintaining and working on my bikes. I'll be riding one-up as my wife also rides and is terrified on the pillion. :) "Fixing" the perceived-by-me shortcomings of motorcycles and making them suit me are interesting pursuits for me. I realize no bike is made for me, personally, but that is part of the fun of motorcycles.

I look forward to gleaning wisdom from fellow forum members and thank you in advance for sharing your experiences.
The GSX-S1000F is a fantastic bike right off the showroom floor. Some have the snatchy throttle problem and some don't (I got lucky with my 2016). It has a few things that can be made much better. The rear shock is brutal on high speed bumps. I don't mind the stock gearing, but you do have to get used to an engine that loves to rev. I like it with stock gearing. Heck, it will do 86 mph in first, so it's not like your going to run out of gears. ;)

The bike is a rocket. I love mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts