GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone and Happy New Year
I normally ride a Harley Tourer and only wear the smallest of helmets but with my GSXS I want to get a quality helmet
I am looking at a HJC Venom helmet cool graphics and quality helmet
Am interested in what everyone else is wearing and apologies if this topic is already around
Craig

·
Registered
584 Posts
Helmets are interesting. Different head shapes fit certain helmets better than others. For example, I have what is considered a "long oval" head and the Arai Signet series fits my noggin perfectly. Every time I get a Shoei, I get a red, hot spot in the center of my forehead after a day of riding. I end up taking the back of a tablespoon and pushing in/compressing the underlying foam in that spot of the helmet to make it tolerable. Usually takes several 'adjustments' before I get it just right. Kind of a nuisance.

Bluedeuce, (Craig) I think the HJC Venom is a great helmet to start with on your new bike. It will be good quality and you will find out if that particular helmet fits you perfectly or if you need to find something else for the next time. Some people have "oval" heads, and the Arai Quantum helmets fit them best. Arai is the only company I know of that makes different helmets to fit different heads. Too bad their helmets are so expensive. I just search and search until I find the Arai helmet I want on sale. Sometimes it takes several months, so I keep my 'old' helmet around until I can find the new one to replace it.

HJC is a good place to start. Lots of people like their helmets and the quality is good. Besides, you like the looks of it, and that's a big part of riding - getting stuff you like that looks the way you want (while still getting good protection, of course.)

·
Registered
370 Posts
I got a Shoei head, to me the most important thing about helmets is the way it feels and fits. I don't like to buy helmets online. I go to Cycle Gear near my house this way I can try it on in the store. Don't buy a helmet for the graphics...

·
Registered
680 Posts
I got a Shoei head, to me the most important thing about helmets is the way it feels and fits. I don't like to buy helmets online. I go to Cycle Gear near my house this way I can try it on in the store. Don't buy a helmet for the graphics...
This is true with all your gear, unless you have no option to visit a store and try it on before buying especially considering that it's almost always the same price no matter where you buy. Gear is really personal and fit is very important. Just buy the highest quality you can,. SNELL and ECE rating trumps DOT

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have an HJC RPHA 70 ST that I really like. It's comfortable, quiet and fits me well. I had to try mine on at a store to be sure though. The prior time I bought a helmet I kind of rushed it and that particular helmet has never been all day comfortable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just thought I would give some feedback on my first ride with my new helmet
Rode to work this morning a bit over 100 klms
Helmet is amazingly light and no buffeting
Great vision
I did not get a chance to play with air intakes but so far very happy
Craig

·
Registered
45 Posts
The RPHA line from HJC is top notch. I had an Shoei X14 last year and before that multiple Arai RX7's. I rate the Pro11 model as one of the best helmets going. Is very light, quiet, comfortable (for intermediate oval) and priced really aggressively.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts