GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
On my second GSXS1000 now, both had a flash by Andy @ J33. Power & torque are increased (161 & 81 ft lbs) but the greatestt improvement is in tractability and smoothness. Rode my bike stock for 7500 miles, it wasn't bad at all but I disliked the turkey tray muffler so fitted Lextec decat headers while it was being serviced. They totally messed up the fuelling at the bottom end so an ECU flash was almost forced on me. The bike was horrid to ride, idle was rough and it stuttered and coughed from 1000 to 8000 rpm before clearing its throat and tearing away nicely. That was no use to me as a road rider where 99% of my time is in the 2k to 6k rpm band.
I had to book in and covered some miles like this and even considered refitting the stock headers as it was too noisy on the lextec plus stock can.
Went to J33 this week and Andy loaded up his standard map which cleared most of the problems almost instantly (this is probably what you get with a postal remap) he then spent 4 hours tuning the bike on the rollers, lots of runs at various throttle settings,and a load of adjustments and tweaks before he pulled it off the rollers and asked me to take it for a run.
The transformation was immediately noticeable, First thing the throttle assist was disabled, which is great as i like to control the revs when I pull away. Throttle response was immediate in every gear with all of the hesitation gone and smooth power throughout the rev range. My 6.5 mile test run ranged from clutch out tickover runs in first (slightly snatchy) to bouncing off the limiter in third (very exciting). engine braking is still good and the bike holds 30mph in 6th sweet as a nut (went down to 20mph and it still picked up without hesitation There is a slight stutter at low revs over a very short range which Andy says is due to the lack of exhaust valve. Its nothing major and better than it was stock where it didnt like 2-3000 rpm accel and decel.
Rode bike home and been out a couple of times , bike delivers power very smoothly and has a more mellow sound, covered about 250 miles so far and very happy with performance, Unrecognizable from stock map with decat and I believe it to be more tractable than stock too.
Too early to comment on fuel economy, it was running very lean which may explain my 55mpg average prior to reflash. Currently shoeing 50mpg on the dash, time will tell but I would rather have the smooth endless power/torque and tractability than an extra 5 miles out of each gallon.
So after my huge rambling post, Ride the bike stock and see if you can manage the throttle response, you can flash it in stock config but will see more benefit if you include a decat. As a road rider I would recommend a link pipe decat (£80?) keeping the exhaust valve in place.
I'm supposed to be working from home and am writing this from a home office. At this rate I'll be in the garage in a minute....
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

My map has the fault code for the AIS switched off although the system is still working. I shall probably leave it working as I have a standard exhaust system with a cat and it's likely to stay that way.

·
Registered
397 Posts
On my second GSXS1000 now, both had a flash by Andy @ J33. Power & torque are increased (161 & 81 ft lbs) but the greatestt improvement is in tractability and smoothness. Rode my bike stock for 7500 miles, it wasn't bad at all but I disliked the turkey tray muffler so fitted Lextec decat headers while it was being serviced. They totally messed up the fuelling at the bottom end so an ECU flash was almost forced on me. The bike was horrid to ride, idle was rough and it stuttered and coughed from 1000 to 8000 rpm before clearing its throat and tearing away nicely. That was no use to me as a road rider where 99% of my time is in the 2k to 6k rpm band.
I had to book in and covered some miles like this and even considered refitting the stock headers as it was too noisy on the lextec plus stock can.
Went to J33 this week and Andy loaded up his standard map which cleared most of the problems almost instantly (this is probably what you get with a postal remap) he then spent 4 hours tuning the bike on the rollers, lots of runs at various throttle settings,and a load of adjustments and tweaks before he pulled it off the rollers and asked me to take it for a run.
The transformation was immediately noticeable, First thing the throttle assist was disabled, which is great as i like to control the revs when I pull away. Throttle response was immediate in every gear with all of the hesitation gone and smooth power throughout the rev range. My 6.5 mile test run ranged from clutch out tickover runs in first (slightly snatchy) to bouncing off the limiter in third (very exciting). engine braking is still good and the bike holds 30mph in 6th sweet as a nut (went down to 20mph and it still picked up without hesitation There is a slight stutter at low revs over a very short range which Andy says is due to the lack of exhaust valve. Its nothing major and better than it was stock where it didnt like 2-3000 rpm accel and decel.
Rode bike home and been out a couple of times , bike delivers power very smoothly and has a more mellow sound, covered about 250 miles so far and very happy with performance, Unrecognizable from stock map with decat and I believe it to be more tractable than stock too.
Too early to comment on fuel economy, it was running very lean which may explain my 55mpg average prior to reflash. Currently shoeing 50mpg on the dash, time will tell but I would rather have the smooth endless power/torque and tractability than an extra 5 miles out of each gallon.
So after my huge rambling post, Ride the bike stock and see if you can manage the throttle response, you can flash it in stock config but will see more benefit if you include a decat. As a road rider I would recommend a link pipe decat (£80?) keeping the exhaust valve in place.
Yes, more power, more gas. I noticed mine says average mpg is 36 with the cheap slip-on and average of 34 mpg with the stock slip-on. I still have not reved more than 7K rpm on 6th gear.

·
Registered
397 Posts
All done, best decision I made and the best £250 I ever spent on any bike :D
Yes, I agree, the bike is a totally different animal now. Very responsive, very powerful, mean noise, etc. California Fyws have a new owner now. That's me :LOL:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Any benefit for someone who wants to keep everything else stock, even the strong decel engine braking?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Any benefit for someone who wants to keep everything else stock, even the strong decel engine braking?
Smoother throttle and cooler running bike. May need to check to see if engine braking can be left alone with your tuner of choice.

Reactions: Gixxus_Lou

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Mine is completely stock also, and it'll be staying that way. Think of the current engine braking as excessive, you'll still have it but it'll be smoother/less sudden and on/off throttle transitions will be smoother - this 'feature' is part of the problem. I haven't changed the way I ride it since mapping because of this. I think you'll be happy with it. (y)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Get it dyno’d and remapped, it will be unique to ur bike, BSD performance in peterborough did mine, love everything they did…

21 - 35 of 35 Posts