GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

Remember Ferris Bueller's Day Off?? The scene where they try to run the car in reverse to take miles off the odometer only to crash through the back of the garage... Well I'm like that guy. I have some slight marks on my paint caused by bungees rubbing on the paint when I was carrying a load. Now I could try to polish them out, but without adult supervision I am bound to make it worse

Any suggestions for a ham fisted, clumsy idiot that will improve it rather than destroy it which I am guaranteed to do on my own???

As Dirty Harry said... "A man's got to know his limitations"

Cheers for any help.....

Chris

P.s. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hi all

Remember Ferris Bueller's Day Off?? The scene where they try to run the car in reverse to take miles off the odometer only to crash through the back of the garage... Well I'm like that guy. I have some slight marks on my paint caused by bungees rubbing on the paint when I was carrying a load. Now I could try to polish them out, but without adult supervision I am bound to make it worse

Any suggestions for a ham fisted, clumsy idiot that will improve it rather than destroy it which I am guaranteed to do on my own???

As Dirty Harry said... "A man's got to know his limitations"

Cheers for any help.....

Chris

P.s. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum
Meguiars Speed Glaze by hand. If it won't come out with that your screwed.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks but damnit now I looked closer suddenly I noticed some light scratches too. I will give it a crack with that stuff but maybe it's just something unavoidable with a daily driver
Chris, can the area be covered with clear 3M anti-scuff film like I have on mine?
That will hide imperfections and provide protection too

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris, can the area be covered with clear 3M anti-scuff film like I have on mine?
That will hide imperfections and provide protection too
It's the area beside the pillion seat that needs attention

When I bought the bike, because I read your blog about this I made a point of asking for the 3m film. Everyone at the dealership I asked just looked at me blankly so I have no clue where to go next.

·
Registered
355 Posts

When I bought the bike, because I read your blog about this I made a point of asking for the 3m film. Everyone at the dealership I asked just looked at me blankly so I have no clue where to go next.
That's one of the areas that I had clearfilm applied for that very reason as my Oxford throwover bags rest there. I'm astounded that the dealership didn't know as when I asked Holeshot to get some applied when I bought it, they simply said they'd arrange it as they did it for a lot of customers. I think the contractor is based in Tauranga and he visits motorcycle shops on a regular basis. I don't know who he is but the workmanship is outstanding. I'd suggest you ring Holeshot for the contact as I reckon it will be your best option. To have the tank knee cutouts, tank top and rear cowl done was around $400 from memory - money well spent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm going to have to pretty much disagree everyone else on this. I've done a lot of detailing in my life and have always been able to get out scratches on cars and bikes both with a good random orbital buffer and a good polish (I prefer Menzerna). And it's really difficult to screw things up. You just have to use a good polish that will cut into the clear coat a bit, I'm talking about micromillimeters.

Here's a good forum to read up on professional detailing and how to get our your scratches:

Detailing Bliss - Auto Detailing Community for the DIYer and Pros.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm going to have to pretty much disagree everyone else on this. I've done a lot of detailing in my life and have always been able to get out scratches on cars and bikes both with a good random orbital buffer and a good polish (I prefer Menzerna). And it's really difficult to screw things up. You just have to use a good polish that will cut into the clear coat a bit, I'm talking about micromillimeters.

Here's a good forum to read up on professional detailing and how to get our your scratches:

Detailing Bliss - Auto Detailing Community for the DIYer and Pros.
Micromillimeters is all Suzuki has for a clear coat.

·
Registered
288 Posts

Protect auto paint protection
Alan Heath 027 242 5878

·
Registered
593 Posts
+1 for Menzerna, I've even gone as far as 2500 wet and dry then hand polished out with Menzerna final finish polish..... I've never gone through the top coat yet, but I wouldn't like to do it more than once or twice on the same area just in case!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts