GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to adjust the suspension settings for the front and rear on my bike as the stock settings aren't that great for me. I am 5'7" and weigh 167lbs. I want to know roughly what specs I should adjust to. Any input would be appreciated as I don't really know much about suspension. For example, How many clicks in which direction for each setting, etc.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I'm 150lbs, but I think a common theme is that the rear shock is pretty brutal as stock for anyone sub 180. I'm on the lowest spring tension and 1/2 turn on damping and it seems pretty good. I played with my fork preload and damping a little (down from stock because of my weight, and I can't remember the exact settings - I was pretty close to perfect sag after that), but it wasn't bad from the factory (I hate brake dive). Just my quick thoughts, but yea, there are threads about this, but don't let the "search nazis" keep you from asking questions. On every forum I've been on, eventually every question gets answered, so... if the search nazis had there way, it would be the end of the forum. People join to ask and have a conversation, not to be told to search. ;)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I really want to adjust the suspension settings for the front and rear on my bike as the stock settings aren't that great for me. I am 5'7" and weigh 167lbs. I want to know roughly what specs I should adjust to. Any input would be appreciated as I don't really know much about suspension. For example, How many clicks in which direction for each setting, etc.
First thing to do is set the sag correctly, only once that is setup can the damping be set

Sag is setup related to your weight, whilst damping is more subjective and everyone differs in what they like best

Try this for setting up sag

GSX-S Suspension Sag Setup ? Suzuki GSX-S Info

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
BTW,I'm originally from Idaho and visit there a couple times a year. I've done the Idaho City - Lowman loop, Galena summit, and around the Sawtooths, but I still haven't done and want to do Lolo pass. I know some great routes down here in Utah too, so if you ever want to do a trip down this way. PM me. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Best thing to do is learn about suspension & setting up your bike. Giving your weight and details is useless as nobody here can set your bike up for you. A book called Total Control by Lee Parks is a good read to educate yourself. Otherwise go to a suspension tuner and they will set it up for you

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW,I'm originally from Idaho and visit there a couple times a year. I've done the Idaho City - Lowman loop, Galena summit, and around the Sawtooths, but I still haven't done and want to do Lolo pass. I know some great routes down here in Utah too, so if you ever want to do a trip down this way. PM me. :)
Oh, that's cool, I'm up here studying at BYUI right now. But I will be down in Salt Lake Area (Tooele, Utah) in July for the MotoAmerica Event and would totally be down to go for a ride. I will definitely PM you soon for that. And we can bask in the glory of our gixxesses? gixxi? Not sure what the plural form of gixxus is. lol.

Reactions: mike d

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Best thing to do is learn about suspension & setting up your bike. Giving your weight and details is useless as nobody here can set your bike up for you. A book called Total Control by Lee Parks is a good read to educate yourself. Otherwise go to a suspension tuner and they will set it up for you
Well, I was hoping that someone of similar weight would be able to comment with their adjusted specs and I could try to go off that first and see how it feels. I would like to get a general idea so I don't mess up completely by being way off. Obviously, I would have to set it myself, but I guess I'm looking for some rough guidelines with specs and other rider's experience for someone that wants to learn how to do it himself for the first time. And I have been reading articles, looking at other threads, and watching videos to learn more, maybe I'll try out that book.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have never attempted to adjust the suspension on a bike before and so this will be my first time. In my research, I keep coming across the phrase "x number of clicks out." Does "clicks out" mean turn clockwise? Or does "clicks out" mean clockwise on the right side of the fork and counterclockwise on the left fork as pertaining to turning away from the bike? Probably a dumb question, but I'm not well versed in suspension. Also, your website is very cool, I have it bookmarked in my web browser. Another question, isn't sag adjusted while you change the preload and damping?
Sag is just about preload nothing to do with damping - damping only affects suspension whilst the suspension is moving - measuring Sag is static and needs to be done before anything else - all you need is a friend or 2 and a tape measure (and possible a cable tie)

"x clicks out" On our bikes, similar to most we have rebound at the top of the fork and compression at the bottom, all adjustments are the same - regardless of what side of teh bike or position.

Turn the adjuster clockwise till it stops - don't force it, then turn anticlockwise, you will feel clicks as you turn it, roughly every 90 degrees - x clicks out is x clicks anticlockwise from where it stopped turning clockwise.

To the sag first, it is factual and not subjective like damping - you want to aim for between 30 and 35 mm (but closer to 35) for the street for front and back

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hello there
I have posted a video where a mechanic sets the suspension. It would fit your weight and height. On the front, set the preload to three rings showing, two not. . Compression and rebound 5 clicks out.S On the rear, set the preload to the lowest setting and rebound only half a click out
cheers

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
@ PhuketPaul
Turn the adjuster clockwise till it stops - don't force it, then turn anticlockwise, you will feel clicks as you turn it, roughly every 90 degrees - x clicks out is x clicks anticlockwise from where it stopped turning clockwise.
I am told Suzuki removed the "click" function on later models and just go by number of turns in/out.
I think it's been mentioned on here somewhere.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have never attempted to adjust the suspension on a bike before and so this will be my first time. In my research, I keep coming across the phrase "x number of clicks out." Does "clicks out" mean turn clockwise? Or does "clicks out" mean clockwise on the right side of the fork and counterclockwise on the left fork as pertaining to turning away from the bike? Probably a dumb question, but I'm not well versed in suspension. Also, your website is very cool, I have it bookmarked in my web browser. Another question, isn't sag adjusted while you change the preload and damping?
"clicks out " means counter clockwise which means softening. The sag adjustment in the rear is when you sit on the bike geared up and how much the bike moves down , so to adjust this you would have to take a measurement on a fixed point on the bike before and after you get on the machine. I'm not sure what the measurement is, I'm guessing a inch and a half. Preload is the rate the suspension goes down and the damping in the rate the suspension rebounds back . So it's 3 different adjustments. I happen to like when my preload and rebound move back and forth at the same rate.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Thanks, I didn't know about removing the clicks, seems like a retrograde step. Turns are less easy to replicate.

The rear shock was always turns as well, and only about 3 turns if I remember correctly
Yes retrograde step, like removing the TPS setting - line on the meter panel.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Hello there
I have posted a video where a mechanic sets the suspension. It would fit your weight and height. On the front, set the preload to three rings showing, two not. . Compression and rebound 5 clicks out.S On the rear, set the preload to the lowest setting and rebound only half a click out
cheers
5 clicks out from fully closed...thats more then stock was set up and stock was stiff...in that case im at 12 clicks out im at 180 dressed

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
"clicks out " means counter clockwise which means softening. The sag adjustment in the rear is when you sit on the bike geared up and how much the bike moves down , so to adjust this you would have to take a measurement on a fixed point on the bike before and after you get on the machine. I'm not sure what the measurement is, I'm guessing a inch and a half. Preload is the rate the suspension goes down and the damping in the rate the suspension rebounds back . So it's 3 different adjustments. I happen to like when my preload and rebound move back and forth at the same rate.
Sorry but most of this is incorrect and misleading.

Clicks Out

This is just a way of knowing where your suspension damping is set, it is the number of clicks anticlockwise from fully closed , the more clicks out the less compression or rebound damping you have but it does not soften the spring rates only the damping effect.

Sag

Sag is adjusted on front and rear and is the difference between unloaded (i.e. wheels off the ground) and sitting on it in full gear in your normal riding position with feet on the pegs. Should be between 30 and 35 front and rear, aim for 35mm. Sag is adjusted with the preload.

Preload

Preload is not the rate the spring goes down.

The springs front and rear are under constant compression, and the preload is the amount of unloaded compression. The more preload you add the less the suspension will compress when you sit on the bike, but it doesn't change the rate of the spring. Adjust the preload so you are using the correct part of the suspensions travel, so as not to top out or bottom the suspension. Its adjusted with 14mm nut on top of the forks or the stepped ring on the rear shock. Adjusting preload changes the Sag.

Compression

Compression is the damping effect when the suspension is compresed. It has no effect on spring rate but the faster the suspension is compressed the more the compression damping affects it. The oil has to flow through a hole or past shims, so if you imagine compressing the forks with your hands if you try to do it fast it will be difficult as the oil has a limited speed through the orifice, if you compress really slowly then it is only the spring resisting the compression. Our bikes don't have adjustable compression on the rear shock. On the forks its adjusted with the slotted click adjuster at the bottom of the forks. We don't have adjustable high speed compression which is different again.

Rebound

Rebound is the same as compression damping but in the opposite direction, preventing the spring from extending too quickly. This is adjusted using the slotted click adjuster on top of the forks or the slotted adjuster at the base of the shock, the shock does not have clicks so you count turns or half turns from fully closed.

Sorry for the drawn out story.

For more information see my webpage which will be updated soon to make it easier to understandGSX-S Suspension Sag Setup ? Suzuki GSX-S Info

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Sorry but most of this is incorrect and misleading.

Well all these years I thought I had it right
I didn't mean to upset you and maybe you have been setting your suspension correctly but using the wrong terminology and I would like to ensure that anyone following this thread doesn't go the wrong way with their suspension because of a misunderstanding.

Apologies if i'm wrong with my statements, just trying to help!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm not upset at all, being on these forums is all about learning. I know I'm not a good writer but my bikes are set up perfect for my weight. It's all good man ...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts