GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new owner here, bought my Gsxs 1000f back in march this year having traded in my trusty
Gsx 1250fa after 7 years ownership and 40000 kms trouble free biking. Enjoying the new bike, especially the weight
reduction. I´ve done a few mods already tail tidy, sliders, bar risers 20mm (57 year old back and shoulders) adjustable levers. I was hoping the snatchy throttle issue would have been less of a problem on a 2019 bike but it's definitely there, not sure what to do about it yet, I'll look into it later. Bike broken in nicely, covered 3000 km so far
cheers
Neil.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome to the party!

This place has a ton of helpful and smart riders.

As far as the snatchy throttle I feel like the best starting points are adjusting the throttle play and checking the throttle position sensor. (TPS) There are miles of threads about the issue and I think we all experience it differently. The biggest change for me was getting the Fuel Cut on Decel removed, it gets rid of the hard snapping when you are cruising with the throttle barely open and end up cutting the fuel for a second and the whole bike lurches a bit.

·
Registered
305 Posts
...I was hoping the snatchy throttle issue would have been less of a problem on a 2019 bike but it's definitely there, not sure what to do about it yet, I'll look into it later. Bike broken in nicely, covered 3000 km so far
Neil.
Hi Neil, I'd recommend adjusting ALL of the play out of the throttle cable (just make sure the throttle stays at an idle when you turn the bars full stop both directions). I did that and my bike is easier to control at light throttle operation.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hey Neil (Yamato), good to have you on here. I was wondering what someone coming off the Grande Bandito would think of the GSX-S1000 and you summed it up nicely (big weight difference.) Light is Right! (and more fun)

Hopefully you can get your throttle issues sorted out. Already good (great!) advice above to get you on your way. Once you get that sorted, you'll want a better rear shock sooner rather than later. Kind of the bike's Achilles heel. The good news is that ANY aftermarket shock will be miles better than the stock unit, so you don't have to spend a fortune to improve things. Pics of your bike? Must have pics!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Welcome! I've owned 2 Bandit 1250s. Great bikes, but I love the lightness of this bike comparably.
The big Bandits appeal to me with their 'old school' big block motors with low end torque, but I love a lighter bike as it is just more fun...everywhere. Good to hear you feel the same way since you've actually owned the big Bandit. I've lusted for one but never pulled the trigger and gotten one. I wanted an FJ1200 for years, too. Like the 'muscle car' of the motorcycle world (along with the V-Max!)

But once you own a lightweight liter bike (sportbike), a heavy bike just doesn't really 'do it' for you anymore. The GSX-S1000 makes riding fun, not work.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Yea, I always wanted the big Bandit and the Kawi ZRX1200R, but never had the motivation / money at the time. Now I'm pretty happy. ;)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
My take is to do ecu first then suspension.
With the suspension I wouldn’t stop at just doing the rear shock I would get the forks revalved and
sprung for your Weight.
This will make frog hopping mad;)
um, from my perspective, front is livable. Back, no. ECU? Mines fine.

·
Registered
524 Posts
A person could do nothing and be happy with this bike...depending on what they've ridden before and how they ride now.

If you've had a bike with 'good' suspension, the rear shock is going to drive you buggy. And, as some have said, once that is fixed, then the front seems to be 'needing work' to get it as good as the back. Others are fine once they ditch the junky OEM shock.

If you've come off a full blown GSX-R, you might decide the ECU has to be flashed to unleash some power. For most of us, having 145 rwhp at our disposal is going to feel like plenty.

I don't begrudge anyone doing what they want to their bike. We come here to share our experiences and make suggestions and recommendations based on what we 'know'. I think that's great. And I'm glad we can disagree at times without being disagreeable. That's how it should be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Torque and weight

The big Bandits appeal to me with their 'old school' big block motors with low end torque, but I love a lighter bike as it is just more fun...everywhere. Good to hear you feel the same way since you've actually owned the big Bandit. I've lusted for one but never pulled the trigger and gotten one. I wanted an FJ1200 for years, too. Like the 'muscle car' of the motorcycle world (along with the V-Max!)
But once you own a lightweight liter bike (sportbike), a heavy bike just doesn't really 'do it' for you anymore. The GSX-S1000 makes riding fun, not work.
Hi yes those big bruisers are fun too, I had the Gsf 1200s and a CB1300s prior to the Gsx1250fa and they were great for distance and comfort with masses of torque at the slightest twist of the throttle for effortless overtakes even two up with luggage. Not so much fun in the twisties as this bike and far heavier to maneuver around in the garage or in traffic. I'm Still getting used to how high this bike revs at motorway speeds compared to the 1250 but having lost nearly 50 kgs and gained close to 50 bhp makes it all worthwhile.

·
Registered
524 Posts
@Yamato, you've had a few of the 'muscle bikes', haven't you? Fun! Torque is a great thing, especially when loaded up and looking to get around someone. But there is just something about a lighter, more nimble, 'faster' bike that is so satisfying. But the problem some manufacturers make is killing the low-end and mid-range to 'achieve' a higher HP figure or top speed. Great for magazine test charts, but not so great on the road. I got a 2nd Gen FZ-1 and it was a disappointment. Where is the torque? Where is the low and mid-range power? Get it to 7000 rpm and it could finally get out of its own way. BORING.

This is where the GSX-S1000 really shines. It actually pulls from 3,500rpm on up. Very satisfying on the street. May not post GSXR numbers on the 'charts' but I don't ride the charts. I want something that is "real world" fun and useful. That's the GSX-S1000. I'm glad Suzuki made this bike. I've been wanting a "sportbike but with good ergos" for years, but no one really produced what I wanted until now.

I'd still like to spend a day or two with a CB1300, FJ1200, and GSX1250 just for giggles. I don't want to own one. I just want to 'experience' one. I had an FJR1300 but I don't think that's quite the same.

·
Registered
161 Posts
^ Well said. It's all about power/tq across the full rpm range not just at the peak.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts