GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Iam close to purchasing a new f model , just waiting for a test ride to become available and checking out what deals are about . 2 local dealers are offering a red 鈥榖lack bike with the touring kit fitted , not sure I want all of the touring kit like tall screen but i guess the original screen will also come with the bike .
I intend touring on the bike so currently looking at throwover pannier options which seems to be a bit difficult looking at the back end , apart from that I can see no problems .
After 10 years on ktm twins Iam a little apprehensive about going back to a 4 but the Suzuki ticks all my boxes and I love it鈥檚 looks and how compact it is .

Registered
Welcome Kernow,
I normally go touring with just a tank-bag and tail-pack, but this year I bought these .https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253958331381 It takes a while to sort out the mounting but that applies to any other strapons (no giggling there in the back).I can now use a smaller tank-bag and tail-pack. Not tried them out yet, I'm going to Austria & Switzerland later in the year.
PS. Get the better version bike IE the naked.;)

Registered
Welcome Kernow,

The F model was something I too considered when looking at the GSX line. I have to say, in person, the nakeds are too beautiful to pass by, IMHO. I will be picking up whichever model I go for this weekend and look forward to sharing opinions/experiences that we have on whichever we land on.

Registered
Iam close to purchasing a new f model , just waiting for a test ride to become available and checking out what deals are about . 2 local dealers are offering a red 鈥榖lack bike with the touring kit fitted , not sure I want all of the touring kit like tall screen but i guess the original screen will also come with the bike .
I intend touring on the bike so currently looking at throwover pannier options which seems to be a bit difficult looking at the back end , apart from that I can see no problems .
After 10 years on ktm twins Iam a little apprehensive about going back to a 4 but the Suzuki ticks all my boxes and I love it鈥檚 looks and how compact it is .
Welcome:D
The gsxs is a great bike and I'm sure you will like it but for me I like v twins the best. For me it's like the bike is
More alive and you are more connected to the bike than a smooth 4 cylinder engine.
I used to own a SD 990 but sold it about 4 years ago and now I own a guzzi 750 plus the gsxs and most times I go for a ride I end up picking The guzzi.
I know it probably sounds weird to prefer to ride a 50hp bike over the gsxs with its 150hp but it's just more fun
For me to ride the guzzi plus I'm not doing Mk10 everywhere.
I've been riding since 71 and have owned 25 bikes so I'm not making up stories lol.
Anyhow it's just my opinion but make sure you take it for a decent ride before you make your mind up.
Let the flaming begin>:D

Registered
Welcome:D
The gsxs is a great bike and I'm sure you will like it but for me I like v twins the best. For me it's like the bike is
More alive and you are more connected to the bike than a smooth 4 cylinder engine.
I used to own a SD 990 but sold it about 4 years ago and now I own a guzzi 750 plus the gsxs and most times I go for a ride I end up picking The guzzi.
I know it probably sounds weird to prefer to ride a 50hp bike over the gsxs with its 150hp but it's just more fun
For me to ride the guzzi plus I'm not doing Mk10 everywhere.
I've been riding since 71 and have owned 25 bikes so I'm not making up stories lol.
Anyhow it's just my opinion but make sure you take it for a decent ride before you make your mind up.
Let the flaming begin>:D
I agree, the v-twin "connection" is irreplaceable and the engine braking makes twistys a breeze, however.... :D

It depends on what you use your bike for. The large capacity v-twins are lumpy and awful down low filtering traffic, having to feather the clutch around
round abouts and parking lots. Can't speak of smaller bikes because i have no interest in downgrading just yet, i like speed and power >:D

Half of my commute ride is highway and the other half is stop lights galore. The last thing i want is something that makes my journey more tiresome and difficult.
The GSX-S is a breeze and can tackle both quite handily.

If i were to only use it as a weekend joy ride then i would go v-twin all the way. I'm definitely going to own a 1200 monster at some stage.
Probably a Panigale whilst i'm at it. Even if it's just to sit and stare at :laugh:

Registered
If you are comfrtable with it you will want to play with the TC modes because they have a decent impact on the feel of the bike. TC3 and 2 will keep the front wheel on the ground at all times. TC1 will let it come up a little during hard accel and off will let it come up quite often.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Decker. Thanks for that , I鈥檝e actually got a set of those I was wondering if they would fit , you鈥檝e made my day and probably saved me 拢300
Naked is nice , but I fancy the comfort of a fairing for a while , think Iam getting too old for naked bikes .
Trip sounds great , hoping to do something similar

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I know what you mean about the v twin love. I鈥檝e had ktm and aprillia v twins for a while now and dine quite a few miles on them , however there isn鈥檛 a v twin out that does it for me short of the ktm 1290 which is too expensive and quite troublesome by all accounts .
last Jap 4 I had was a 2005 yam fazer which I did really like and I had loads before that from gpz Kawasaki鈥檚 to Honda鈥檚 . Iam just hoping that my sudden need to return to the smooth turbine like feel of a 4 for a more relaxing ride is right for me .
Currently riding a ktm 690 duke which takes even more work than a twin but it鈥檚 such a hoot, however Iam fed up working the gearbox so much and want to do some touring miles , I must be getting old . It鈥檚 the looks of the Suzuki I also love plus the price and extra fuel economy etc , plus the ease of servicing compared to most v twins hope I鈥檝e got it right

Registered
If you plan on doing lots of highway miles just be aware that long droning miles on the GSXS might feel like the engine is spinning a bit fast for such a big motor, but actually it's not even yet into the real working powerband. This motor doesn't really start showing its racing heritage until about 7K rpm and I've never even been much over 6K for anything more than a few seconds at a time. Nevertheless, droning along at 5.5K rpm at 86 mph makes me sometimes wish I had a taller top gear.

Registered
I agree, the v-twin "connection" is irreplaceable and the engine braking makes twistys a breeze, however.... :D

It depends on what you use your bike for. The large capacity v-twins are lumpy and awful down low filtering traffic, having to feather the clutch around
round abouts and parking lots. Can't speak of smaller bikes .... <<snipped>>:laugh:
The comment does not apply to the V Strom 1000. It's motor is as smooth as a 4 cyl, and filtering is a breeze.
But your comment certainly applies to to early EFI Ducati 1078 Racer's. Chugging and clunking, jerking below 4000 rpm, requiring constant slipping of the heavy clutch lever.

Rob.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I did wonder , one review I watched the tester mentioned raising the gearing for touring use , it鈥檚 a possibility I may look into . 4 cyl bikes always feel quite busy at motorway speeds but I鈥檝e akeays got used to it in the past

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Well I found a bike I fell for , just 100 miles on the clock and good saving I took the plunge even though I haven鈥檛 test ridden a bike Hope my gut was right
with
. Tried to post a photo but don鈥檛 think it鈥檚 worrked

Registered
Well I found a bike I fell for , just 100 miles on the clock and good saving I took the plunge even though I haven鈥檛 test ridden a bike Hope my gut was right
with
. Tried to post a photo but don鈥檛 think it鈥檚 worrked
Bought mine without a test ride as it was that wet salty time of year, an ex demo with 67 miles on it so close to what you got. Best mate had one and it felt comfy/natural when I sat on it at the NEC. Don't regret moving to the GSXS from a blade, so hopefully you will love yours too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Hope so eh , spent plenty of time sitting on one like a kid in the showroom , I will get it week after next
It can鈥檛 be as big a leap of faith as buying a ktm 950 sm was a few years back , I fell in love with that bike

Registered
One thing I think you should do and it's just my observation is to put a 17 tooth front sprocket on the beast as I think it revs a little bit
Higher than it needs to plus it should put the speedo close to spot on.
No I haven't changed mine yet but I think it would be better than stock.
Has anyone else tried a 17 on the front?

Registered
One thing I think you should do and it's just my observation is to put a 17 tooth front sprocket on the beast as I think it revs a little bit
Higher than it needs to plus it should put the speedo close to spot on.
No I haven't changed mine yet but I think it would be better than stock.
Has anyone else tried a 17 on the front?
If I'm not mistaken the bike comes with a 17-tooth front sprocket, I believe you might mean you'd put an 18-tooth sprocket on if you want some taller legs on the bike (and I concur).

Also, drive sprocket changes have no effect on the speedometer as it gets its input from the ABS ring on the front wheel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts