GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just collected my new bike - an 18 plate phantom trading up from mt07 which I got a fantastic deal considering all the extras the gsxs has and I’m in love. Bike is immaculate and I love everything about it and the punch it has is incredible! Quick question though I’m noticing a very slight burning smell or more like it smells hot - temp gauge is bang in the middle and runs perfectly just get the odd whiff on a hot smell every now and again when pulling up at lights or at home? Any advice please guys - is this something that others have or just the way the bike is???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It's a known issue with the Yoshi can on that colour bike, you better swap it quick with my stock can.:D

·
Registered
592 Posts
Mine will give off a funk after a wet ride, I'm sure just road grime collecting on the exhaust. Your's might also be cleaners or various excess lube burning off since it's new. Check that you're oil is filled appropriately and not over and coolant levels are good. Don't trust the dealer.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Welcome Phantom1! I switched from an FZ-07 (MT-07 in Euro), and I had planned on keeping both bikes. After a test ride on the GSX-S1000F, I new the FZ would be getting a lot less seat time and decided to trade it. I still miss the light flick-ability and wheelie happy nature of it though.
As far as smell.. if the previous owner didn't burn the new exhaust in, it could be just that. I've also had smells from road tar or grease spattering onto the exhaust too.
I don't think the GSX-S1000 series is famous for having a particularly strong odor. ;)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Before I installed the decat I also experienced the heat and smell. Nothing to be concerned about. All of that restriction really gets things cooking though.

·
Registered
486 Posts
On more spirited rides I have noticed a slight burned rubber smell coming from a rear Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tire when i get home. I don't do burnouts or go too crazy but i always smell faint odor of burned rubber when i pull it in the garage. Maybe that's what your smelling?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Was a service carried out at the dealership? Quite possible oil on the headers from the filter change? Dealers don't tend to cover the header pipes when dropping the oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts