GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have complete my first HID install on my SF. Only to the main low beam for now. I want to use it for a week or two to make sure I want to spend the time doing the other. The HID is easy to get working because it is pretty much plug and play but you have to drill a hole in the head light cover of around 25mm. With the SF you at least can store the ballester in the fairing. It was a little trick and a bit fiddely to get working.

I decided on 10000K which is a slight blue light. It gives everything a blue tint which is nice and I am hoping I will stand out from other cars. It had nothing to do with matching my colour of bike! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
are those the HID kits that just replace the standard bulb ? or are they the full kit including the projectors ? reason i ask is that the bulb replacement type are not legal in many countries.

below is the full units installed with projectors ( ie the road legal type) the white halo and red demon eyes can be turned off (again legal requirement for some reason i didn't have a pic to hand with the HID's on

anyways enjoy the light upgrade.

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Not legal in the UK, but it never gets enforced. I'm not a huge fan, don't really want to be like some spotty oik in their Citroen paxo dazzling everyone with their aftermarket HIDs. Apparently they can damage the standard lenses too, but I've not had first hand experience.

·
Registered
204 Posts
HID issues

Not legal in the UK, but it never gets enforced. I'm not a huge fan, don't really want to be like some spotty oik in their Citroen paxo dazzling everyone with their aftermarket HIDs. Apparently they can damage the standard lenses too, but I've not had first hand experience.
I installed the Bulb only HID on a bike about 5 years ago and you are right it damaged the reflector causing it to discolour. I also experienced the bad quality H4 converter supplied melted ended up with a light that pointed 2 ft from my front wheel and to the right. This happened in the middle of nowhere in pitch black :( had to follow a truck home and ended up replacing the upgrade with a projector and spraying the reflector black to cover up the damage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thingis I am so sick of getting blinded by cars. They have such powerful lights comparedto our single headlight. I can't travel on the country lanes during winter becausetheir lights are too strong that I can't see the road.

I firstposted a thread because I can't understand why Suzuki only uses the left headlight when I have two!! The suggestion was to change them for a H4 and thenrewire which will make so much sense but I do not have the skill to do this.

I did have a feel on the light this morning after my 1.2 hour trip and the glass wasn't that hot. Maybe because it is wnter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are those the HID kits that just replace the standard bulb ? or are they the full kit including the projectors ? reason i ask is that the bulb replacement type are not legal in many countries.

below is the full units installed with projectors ( ie the road legal type) the white halo and red demon eyes can be turned off (again legal requirement for some reason i didn't have a pic to hand with the HID's on

anyways enjoy the light upgrade.
Your lights look really good. did you do them yourself?

·
Registered
204 Posts
yep i did took some work but if you are wanting to do this yourself I am happy to help you just PM me with questions i will respond

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Both HID Bulbs Now installed.
Looks a great job. The stock lights are really poor. Was it difficult to do and take long.
Hi, it is not difficult to do. But it does take a bit of patience and if you have very small hands it would be a advantage. ? about 1 hour. You have to drill 25mm hole in the current cover with the HID I bought. Then it is basically very fiddly to get the bulbs on. The HID are plug and play so no skill involved. If you have a SF it is easy to then store the cables in the frame on either side.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi, it is not difficult to do. But it does take a bit of patience and if you have very small hands it would be a advantage. ? about 1 hour. You have to drill 25mm hole in the current cover with the HID I bought. Then it is basically very fiddly to get the bulbs on. The HID are plug and play so no skill involved. If you have a SF it is easy to then store the cables in the frame on either side.
Thank you for the info, I will look into it at some point in the new year. Was interested to see how you got on with it and how much of a difference it made. I had changed the bulbs to the +130 Philips ones a couple of weeks ago, but top of my list of changes at present is to get a PCV sorted out and fitted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts