GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok lets be honest the stock osram 55ww bulbs sucks a$$... period.. even in the faired vesrion

Night riding has turned out to be a nightmare for me. The illumination is so bad that other sources of lights out there in the street literally overshadows this piece of crap

Not to mention the pathetic reach of the high beam, i am forced to ride slower cuz i cant ffin see anything past 10meters

I cant believe how you guys ride with this stock $hit.. seriously

I am planninh HIDs but some say it generates lots of heat to damage the reflectors and glass..

As for LEDS .. some say its not bright enough

Have any of you guys done mods to the headlamp. I am seeiously i need for one

Pls suggest

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have always used osram night breaker bulbs and never had any issues with them and the are so much better than standard

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have always used osram night breaker bulbs and never had any issues with them and the are so much better than standard

If you don't mind adding projectors then I would go hid. It will give the cleanest light beam and best cut off , no question.

Much easier to install are led. The latest generation places the diodes in the same spot as the halogen filament counterparts and produces a very bright hid like light with a pretty good beam and axcellent cut off

Phillips actually make their own led bulbs but are a little over priced. '

The ones I went with were about $60 and use Phillips led..... much brighter than stock and looks cooler to

The fan can be a little loud on these LEDs but they do make families versions. I have not used those however

I'll try to take a picture of the light being later

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

If you don't mind adding projectors then I would go hid. It will give the cleanest light beam and best cut off , no question.

Much easier to install are led. The latest generation places the diodes in the same spot as the halogen filament counterparts and produces a very bright hid like light with a pretty good beam and axcellent cut off

Phillips actually make their own led bulbs but are a little over priced. '

The ones I went with were about $60 and use Phillips led..... much brighter than stock and looks cooler to

The fan can be a little loud on these LEDs but they do make families versions. I have not used those however

I'll try to take a picture of the light being later
Could you post the specs

Like lumen and watts rating

Philips leds are available here too. Its expensive but i dont know how much better it is

·
Registered
719 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have the paperwork with the exact specs anymore

I purchased it on Amazon.

My criteria was that he used Philips LED's, that it had the same beam pattern as a halogen bulb meaning I wanted the LED the diodes in the proper place, that it had good reviews and that it was comparable to the Phillips version in general.

From all the comparisons I could do, these basically seemed like less expensive versions of the Phillips versions which were like $180 at least!!.... theese seem to put out a similar quality of light.

From what I can tell however, you really can't get much brighter than these lights in a reflector type housing due to the basic limits of physics....... i'm not an expert, but I guess after a certain number of lumens glare will creep in no matter what...... thus necessitating either a projector or a much more focused type of light source such as purpose built led housing or laser headlights.

At $60 and with a pair, it was worth trying... not perfect but as good as possible With just simply replacing the bulb and not doing a whole retrofit project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
No problem with the beams here. Maybe you need glasses instead? :) I'm kidding.

BTW guys, keep in mind that bright lights also blinds other drivers. A motorcycle beam is also located pretty high, right in the face of car drivers. So many cars affect my eyes nowadays, it's crazy. Maybe my eyes are over sensitive to light or something. That's why I always stick with "nice yellow" stock headlights anyway. Ok, they are not the nicest looking, I'll give you that. Having a car run into you because he was blinded by your lights is ..not so nice! ;)

Peace!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Disagree, mounted on the fork legs, using the fender mounting points, they don't create any "aerodynamic" issues and as for "look" they are an exact copy of the "Denali" that cost a few hundreds $
Denali Auxiliary Light Mount Kawasaki Concours 1400 2008-2017 - RevZilla

Beside that, the point is to see, not the way you look. At least for me
anything that sticks out creates drag.....just physics.....though i will admit this is likely neglidgable from these lights....but you will not find anything like this sticking off a bike that is speed focussed......you just dont notice the effects.

Who gives a .....what "Denali" cost?.....still ruins the aesthetic lines on a sport bike (though this is subjective)....The name "denali" even implies it belongs on an adventure/off road type bike.....thats why the lights you posted are for jeeps also.

There is no reason why a person can not see well and look good at the same time.....not mutually exclusive traits.....installing an LED bulb is the easiest possible upgrade.

·
Registered
164 Posts
CtrlU, I went with the Osram Rallye bulb for my F-model (uses different bulb than naked). The Rallye is available from Candlepower Inc and is 2100 lm instead of 1400 stock, plus its a remove and replace mod. I went to get LEDs sold at my dealership but when brought bike was told they would have to remove fairing "to see" if they would fit. So I ordered Rallyes and installed myself (so you know its easy). They are a noticeable improvement, but if really doing major night riding would probably add auxiliary light similar to those shown by luc. Rick

·
Registered
161 Posts
I made the mistake of installing an HID kit on my last Gixxer and will never do it again. The electrical system on our bikes wasnt designed for the extra load HID adds to the mix so things will fail over time (stator , reg/rectifier)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I made the mistake of installing an HID kit on my last Gixxer and will never do it again. The electrical system on our bikes wasnt designed for the extra load HID adds to the mix so things will fail over time (stator , reg/rectifier)
How so? You can get 35w/55w hid kits... how is that any different to the 35w/55w bulbs you can buy?

·
Registered
719 Posts
the main issue with xenon based kits is the need to add projectors in order to not have glare and proper cut off....that means a lot of modification.

The newer generation LED bulbs to a good job a placing the light source in the same place as a halogen thus achieving decent cutoff and increased brightness without extra glare in a OEM housing without modification.....just put the new bulb in......how many suzuki owners does it take to change a light bulb?

·
Registered
171 Posts
What's that got to do with the electrical system in our bikes? The reg/stator still has to supply the same amount of current/voltage.... the only REAL issue may be electrical interference as HID's require transformers to boost voltage up into the 50kV mark.

Decent HID kits, have good enough guards to stop glare and proper cut off, but you can also adjust your lights so that you aren't blinding on coming traffic.

How many suzi owners does it take to change a light bulb? Apparently 15+! ;)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I put twin main/dipped 55W Hid projectors in my f.

Amazing difference, really bright and great vision with very accurate cutoff.

One of.my main issues is i hated the one headlight on with dipped beam, always looked like a bulb had blown.

No oroblems with the electrical system, but I put LED strips and LED halos on for daylight running, more than bright enough, as one of the main issues with HID is the voltage drop when you start the bike and frequent on/off reduces the life of the bulb. So i only switch the main lights on when needed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts