GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gave the bike a good caning last weekend and found the high speed stability a bit unnerving. Dont know if it was the conditions at the time wind etc but I was not happy with it. Is it just the trade off of having a lighter bike than previously, B King- rock steady and composed at all times on all surfaces mostly. This and the peaky nature of the engine is making me think about a modified Hayabusa.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine is twitchy at anything over 120 mph, but I just consider that the trade off for the agility in the tight stuff. I expect if I was better at setting up the suspension I would have less issues, also feels like the balance job of my front tire might be suspect.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My F is rock solid at 150 mph, guess there's some substance to the claims about the fairing generating additional downforce. It does get just a teeny bit wiggly in strong side winds, but not enough to be worried.

Could be what Captain's suggesting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
achieved 165 MPH last week, steady as anything on 2 wheels going 242 feet per second could be. I've owned a 1986, 1991 and 2006 GSXR-750's. The GSXS is more stable than all of them (and the 91 was bored to an 880 cc with every mod known to man) I have the F version and the additional 12 pound front end (and the downforce) may contribute to this as well.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've had my F model up to 230km/hr on many occasions and it was rock solid. The only time it gets loose is when the front wheel is getting light under power.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Check your steering head bearings.
They might be a smidge on the tight side.

My bikes a naked and I've had no instability at speed.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
As another ex B-King rider I've not had any stabiliy problems.
However the gsx-s is so much lighter you expect it to be more affected by road bumps, wind etc.
If I hadn't become so weak and arthritic I would still have the King and would take it all day long over the gsx-s.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My question still stands as to why Johnny makes the presumption that Red's bike "ain't exactly stock". A stock bike is capable of hitting an indicated 165.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My bike is completely stock except for the air filter and the little mod I did to the air box itself (removed restrictor) probably does nothing but.... anyway, speedo said 168, felt more like 150 but either way, fast enough and it gets there in a hurry!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why do you say that? There are a number of vids on the web showing stock GSXSs hitting 165 or faster.
My bike is completely stock except for the air filter and the little mod I did to the air box itself (removed restrictor) probably does nothing but.... anyway, speedo said 168, felt more like 150 but either way, fast enough and it gets there in a hurry!
My bad, I've never gone that much past 150, and the only top speed videos I've seen were in kmh. Must've done the conversion wrong.

Gotta work both on my math and riding skills.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Check tire alignment. Tire pressures?

Not that it needed it, but I installed a Toby Steering Stabilizer, and really did make the bike feel more planted and solid - at all speeds. Definite improvement. You might want to get one if you do a lot of high speed riding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My bad, I've never gone that much past 150, and the only top speed videos I've seen were in kmh. Must've done the conversion wrong.

Gotta work both on my math and riding skills.
My bike is stock except a K&n air filter and a set of BW header pipes to take out the Cat, but keeping stock exhaust. I can only get 159mph on speedo then The limiter cuts in and restricts it, apparently it wont if its not in top gear??
Think next two big things for me are a ECU flash and a reshock replacement.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts