GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just joined here...bought a 2018 gsxs1000f a few weeks ago..I'm ordering a full Hindle exhaust and a power commander V and a K&N filter....good start?
What does "mapping" mean?...sorry, I'm an old school Suzuki guy trying to learn about these new Suzukis...

Cheers

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,731 Posts
Your Power Commander will have a map that alters/overlays the fuel map in the ECU.
Mapping can also refer to the ECU being edited IE flashed direct by a tuner, this is permanent and a lot more things can be altered like rev limits as well as fueling.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would do some more research on ECU flashing before you order the PCV.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the Hindle 3/4 exhaust on my FZ-10, the Evolution muffler was really loud. I even had them make a 14" muffler instead of the standard 12". Their piping is pretty thin/light. I'm not a fan of the lower exit exhaust, so I switched to the PipeWerx high-level exhaust.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The problem with doing that is that it would void my 3.5 year warranty that came with the bike. PC can be taken off easily
The ECU can be flashed back to stock. For the benefits an ECU flash can provide over a fuel tuner, to me, it would be worth sending the ECU back to be flashed back to stock if need be.

That's even if you have a warranty claim that would be caused by altered ECU settings.

Just make sure you go with a reputable tuner, like the ones that have been discussed on here.

Reactions: trevor

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the Hindle 3/4 exhaust on my FZ-10, the Evolution muffler was really loud. I even had them make a 14" muffler instead of the standard 12". Their piping is pretty thin/light. I'm not a fan of the lower exit exhaust, so I switched to the PipeWerx high-level exhaust.
We will see how it works out...I'll be sure to post up more.
Here is what I'm going with

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ECU can be flashed back to stock. For the benefits an ECU flash can provide over a fuel tuner, to me, it would be worth sending the ECU back to be flashed back to stock if need be.

That's even if you have a warranty claim that would be caused by altered ECU settings.
I hear what you are saying...but I already ordered the pc today...so hopefully it will work ok....so many different opinions out there...
Cheers and thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cool, I looked at the Hindle system earlier when I saw your post, looks pretty good. Whichever way you end up, I hope you like it.

What are you going to do about tuning with the PCV? When I look at the DynoJet site, they don't have any tunes for a full system.

Just another thought, you may be able to find a used ECU on ebay, use that one as the "flash" ECU, and keep the one that came in the bike as it is, then you could just swap ECU's if need be. I did this for my M109R, but for a different reason, I wanted to try 2 different tunes from different tuners.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all

Just joined here...bought a 2018 gsxs1000f a few weeks ago..I'm ordering a full Hindle exhaust and a power commander V and a K&N filter....good start?
What does "mapping" mean?...sorry, I'm an old school Suzuki guy trying to learn about these new Suzukis...

Cheers
If you get the PCV, also get switch, auto tune and display. I did and my mileage, performance and powerband are improved. With the switch I can run in auto when conditions change, temp etc. it has changed my whole bike. I’ve added midpipe and k and n only

·
Registered
591 Posts
Dekker explained it well. Think of it like re-jetting your carbs.

it would void my 3.5 year warranty that came with the bike.
Warranty, Smarranty!
Actually, I thought the warranty issue depended on if the dealer did the ECU flash?

·
Registered
591 Posts
you may be able to find a used ECU on ebay,
Or buy a brand new on for almost $1000 USD!

Another reason to go the ECU reflash route is that there are other things besides fueling that can also be changed.

@trevor- weigh the Hindle compare to stock to see how much weight actually gets eliminated. The Hindle web site just says the weight savings is "significant". Relative term, so ambiguous. Nice to know how much weight exactly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is another significant difference between a power commander and an ECU flash (if you use the "canned" maps that DynoJet supply or go the auto-tune route).

I used both when I had my B-King, I used the Woolich software to flash the ECU to alter the idle speed, fan on/off temp, secondary throttle plate map, ignition map, etc... and to disable all the necessary systems. I then used the PCV with auto-tune and display to try to take care of the fueling. While the PCV with auto-tune did a decent job when the throttle was constant, like WOT and steady state cruise, all of the throttle positions in between were constantly changing. This made it very clear that you need a dyno to properly create a tune, even with the PCV and auto-tune. You need to be in a controlled environment so you can keep the throttle steady so the auto-tune can do it's thing properly for each throttle position/rpm cell.

Here's the main difference, it's the target air/fuel ratio.
If you use the PCV with auto-tune, your tune is only going to be as good as the target afr that is used to build your fuel map. If you're using the "canned" values from DynoJet, those aren't created by someone spending hours tuning your bike, they are just general values. If you decide to use different values, how do you know what to use? Again, you would need a dyno to show you what your bike is doing at a given afr. If you take your bike to a tuner and they do a comprehensive tune with a PCV, that's a different story. But even then, if you are only paying for a handful of dyno runs, they are more than like only tuning for WOT and maybe some on/off throttle, but leaving the rest of the fuel map untouched.

If you get your ECU flashed (by a reputable tuner), they have spent countless hours building that flash and dialing in the complete fuel map and the perfect afr for your specific bike, not to mention the fan on/off temp, secondary throttle plate map, ignition map, fuel cut disable, etc....

The #1 difference is that a PC (or any fuel controller) only controls the fuel, while an ECU flash can control pretty much any engine performance system on the bike.
The #2 difference would be that a PC uses "canned" values, while an ECU flash has had a lot of time put in to it to create it for your specific bike.

Reactions: trevor

·
Registered
10 Posts
We will see how it works out...I'll be sure to post up more.
Here is what I'm going with

View attachment 44529
that looks really good I just Bought a brand new 2020 GSXS 1000ZAMO I've put about 420 miles on bike since I got it as it was made past June and assembled and shipped to me. I have noticed My factory header has cross over tubes joining middle pipes together and pipe joining end pipes together does Hindle do the same thing or no? and can I get number or name of company where I can buy complete exhaust from them?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Or buy a brand new on for almost $1000 USD!

Another reason to go the ECU reflash route is that there are other things besides fueling that can also be changed.

@trevor- weigh the Hindle compare to stock to see how much weight actually gets eliminated. The Hindle web site just says the weight savings is "significant". Relative term, so ambiguous. Nice to know how much weight exactly.
I will weigh them for sure. I have a Hindle for one of my classic Suzuki's and for the money I'm quite impressed with the build quality. And very light.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that looks really good I just Bought a brand new 2020 GSXS 1000ZAMO I've put about 420 miles on bike since I got it as it was made past June and assembled and shipped to me. I have noticed My factory header has cross over tubes joining middle pipes together and pipe joining end pipes together does Hindle do the same thing or no? and can I get number or name of company where I can buy complete exhaust from them?
If you click on the link you can contact Hindle for a dealer near you...you can also buy direct from Hindle. I'm in Canada

1 - 20 of 28 Posts