GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my apartment this morning, and I hear the proximity warning on my bike (Scorpio i900). I look out my window and see my neighbors ride to work is backing out and passing the bike. A few seconds later, I hear the alarm go off. I figure they just got too close, so I turn off the alarm and go about my business. Later I go outside to see this

So, I start looking for where they hit me.

Okay, I'm pissed on principle at this point. I call dispatch (non emergency number) and ask if I should have an officer come out and take some pictures before I move it. At this point I hadn't decided if I wanted to file a report, I'm not too concerned about aesthetics, but I wanted the officers to have their pictures of it just in case there was some mechanical damage. While I'm waiting for the officer, took them an hour or so, I started taking a closer look.

OhFuckNo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The officer shows up, takes my statement, information, and some pictures. While he's filling out the report, I take a test drive... made it just past my Jeep and the officer's car before I pulled over again.

So far as I can tell, the break disc is bent, and the lower triple-tree has rotated out of alignment, probably bent fork, maybe bent rim.

Now I'm sitting around all day waiting for the neighbor to get home from work so I can take some pictures, politely ask for insurance information, and finish out the police report.

I have liability only, because full coverage would have cost me more per month than the loan payment, just didn't make sense. Worst case, I'm out a few months while I repair it, maybe even the riding season for the year, depends on the extent and cost. Hopefully, they own up, and insurance pays for a shop to repair it, I'm back in a few weeks.

Great ****in' way to start the day and end the week.

-Jaren

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, guy finally got home from work. Took every bit of restraint I could muster to approach the vehicle calmly. Spoke to the driver; he was polite, admitted to hitting the bike, handed his insurance information right over, apologized, and said he didn't realize there was any damage to the bike. Went down to the police department to give them his info, and asked I if they could keep this from being a criminal charge against him. They said he'll definitely get a ticket for the collision, but they can try to work it so he doesn't get fleeing the scene. I also let them know that, just in case he tries to fight it, I checked with the bus station across the street, and two of their cameras cover the incident. Left my insurance company a voicemail, hopefully they get back to me early Monday. I'm on travel for work next week, and will be leaving Monday. Original plan was to drive the GSX-S, but that's shot now. Was panicking for a bit because I don't have time to book a flight and get approval through finance before I leave, but my dad offered to let me drive his V-Strom, so, I'll still be on a Suzuki, just not my baby, more baggage room I guess.

Oh, when speaking to my insurance company earlier. He says there's a decent chance the bike will be totalled. He's kinda on the fence, but with how much work and time goes into fixing a bike, vs how much salvage value there is in parts... he said that it's pretty common to total if there's more than cosmetic damage. Luckily I have all my receipts from the alarm, fuel mapper, and speedometer corrector; so those will be original purchase price payout if it's totalled. I may also get a large percentage of the cost of my tires back, since they're so knew. Maybe I'll get one with the new ECM...

FML, could be worse, at least I got the other guy's info, and thankfully I wasn't on the bike.

-Jaren

·
Registered
285 Posts
FML, could be worse, at least I got the other guy's info, and thankfully I wasn't on the bike.

-Jaren
yep , bad luck but good result , i have had total loss on a couple of bikes not fully insured where i didn't get any details and ouch,that hurts.Just to make you laugh back in the late 70's the alarm on my XS1100 went off at midnight,jumped out of bed and looked out the window to see a car had reversed into it , knocked it over and was pushing it down the street. Ran into street , asked driver to stop and move forward. When he got out of the car , I had the bike on side stand and was checking the damage. I asked what the f ... he thought he was doing, his reply,was to kick the bike over off it's stand. While I was proceeding to beat him senseless my wife had come out of the house and said in my ear , "darling if you kill him you will spend a long time in jail'' that stopped me cold, "also dear you are making a bit of a spectical of your self in front of all our neighbours ! Which was true as i had come out of the house so fast to the street I was still in my birthday suit. I did a mental estimate of the damage and hey guess what he paid me cash on the spot. By this time i was wearing the towel that my wife thoughtfully brought out , didn't want to be arrested for indecent exposure did I ?:D

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, so, some continuing adventure. The V-Strom my dad let me borrow blew a fork seal in the canyon on my first leg of the journey to Cheyenne. Luckily it was toward the end, though it went out mid turn, and that canyon was the most challenging part of the trip. Also, of note, his speedometer doesn't work. So I got flagged on the interstate at 106mph, that cop radioed ahead to another who intercepted me and got me at 96, I thought I was going 80ish. Luckily in Wyoming the citation is for exceeding 75mph by 6 or more on an interstate, so basically what I thought I was doing anyway. Only second time I've ever been ticketed on a bike, talked my way outta my fair share, so I'm not too bothered by it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update. Took the insurance company two ****ing weeks to get the other guy's statement, and despite the bike being parked at the time, they couldn't determine fault without talking to him. Anywho, they've accepted liability, I'm towing it to the shop tomorrow. Because the bike is my primary transport, and my Jeep is in the middle of suspension mods so can't handle highway speeds, insurance is getting me a rental car. But... they forgot to tell the rental company, so my reservation exists, but they don't have any cars for me, yay small towns. So now I'm sitting in Subway a couple of blocks down the road waiting for a call back.

For the last two weeks I've been borrowing my dad's bikes. His V-Strom blew a fork seal on me (see above) so he lent me his FZ1. FZ1 spun a bearing on me. So back to V-Strom. V-Strom developed a leak in the clutch hydraulics. On the way to work today, somebody swerved out in front of me, I grab the brakes, bike dives, rebounds unevenly, starts wobbling, while off balance clutch renegages (lever pulled all the way to the grip), V-twins engine break like a ************, so that almost threw me. And I have no idea how fast this was because the speedometer doesn't work.

I love my dad, and very thankful he could help me keep my job, but **** I'm looking forward to a safe reliable vehicle again.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Update. Took the insurance company two ****ing weeks to get the other guy's statement, and despite the bike being parked at the time, they couldn't determine fault without talking to him. Anywho, they've accepted liability, I'm towing it to the shop tomorrow. Because the bike is my primary transport, and my Jeep is in the middle of suspension mods so can't handle highway speeds, insurance is getting me a rental car. But... they forgot to tell the rental company, so my reservation exists, but they don't have any cars for me, yay small towns. So now I'm sitting in Subway a couple of blocks down the road waiting for a call back.

For the last two weeks I've been borrowing my dad's bikes. His V-Strom blew a fork seal on me (see above) so he lent me his FZ1. FZ1 spun a bearing on me. So back to V-Strom. V-Strom developed a leak in the clutch hydraulics. On the way to work today, somebody swerved out in front of me, I grab the brakes, bike dives, rebounds unevenly, starts wobbling, while off balance clutch renegages (lever pulled all the way to the grip), V-twins engine break like a ************, so that almost threw me. And I have no idea how fast this was because the speedometer doesn't work.

I love my dad, and very thankful he could help me keep my job, but **** I'm looking forward to a safe reliable vehicle again.
Glad you were able to keep the shiny side up. The funny part is that you should never have had to borrow a vehicle from anyone...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts