GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2016 GSX S1000F in January 2017. I live in St Louis Missouri so I’ve not had a lot of opportunity to ride due to weather. After about 400 miles I was sure that I did not like the stock tune and wanted to do something about it. I used to ride a Bandit 1200S that was heavily modified, most of the parts came from Dale Walker at Holeshot Performance.

The stock GSXS in my opinion had a brutal throttle off and on. I had trouble shifting smooth at city driving. First gear launch from a city light felt like it wanted to die. And idle speeds under 4.5k was sputtering and hard to maintain. On the other hand, launching hard, shifting at high rpm, and upper end pull felt great! I’m not looking for more power (yet), I just wanted it to be smooth on my way out to the twisty roads and smooth throttle transition in the corners.

I researched many solutions then chose Dale’s Holeshot EFI Supertune Pro after exploring his website, videos, and talking to him on the phone. Yes, the hardware of the EFI tuner is from another company as explained in another post on this forum but the tune and configuration on this EFI are custom set by Dale for the GSXS. I was skeptical at first because it was a new product. He said I was his 3rd customer for this EFI. I did not want to spend the money for a DynoJet and a custom tune when Dales offering was so inexpensive, so I just went for it.

Installation was simple, the hardest part was getting the plastic off. I did not have to tune anything; it was completely plug and play. The tuner was $277. The whole kit (EFI Tuner, O2 Bypass, K&N Air Filter, and G2 Throttle Tamer) was $441.90. I did not buy his header or pipe yet; I still have all stock exhaust. I’ve only had a chance to ride it twice after installing everything. I’m very happy with the results! It’s money well spent. It cruises well, there is a sweet spot between 3k and 4k that is very smooth. City shifting is smooth. The harsh throttle off and on is smooth. I did not notice a big HP increase but I did not expect to because I was not used to all the bikes stock power yet with such low mileage. This was a great purchase.

If I want to change something, I have the option to modify the tune through the EFI, but I seriously doubt I will need to do that. When I decide to replace the header and exhaust in the future Dale said he will send me tune for that configuration.

I am not convinced the throttle tamer suits my riding preference. I like a snappy quick throttle response. I wish I would have installed the EFI, rode it, then installed the Tamer. Now I must do it in reverse. I plan to take it off after a while to see what the difference is.

Regarding step 2 of the installation, Dale recommends to plug/block the PAIR Valve (Smog Valve). After some research and after talking to Dale about it I decided to leave it open while I still have the stock header with catalytic converter. Leaving it open does not change performance; the PAIR Valve causes backfires in the exhaust which is needed to make the Cat effective and clean (it’s hardly noticeable). When I get the new header (that has no Cat) I will block the Valve. I’m sure there are other opinions on the matter, this is mine.

If you’re looking for an inexpensive plug and play option to smooth out your GSXS, I recommend this EFI. Holeshot Performance Products, Inc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I removed the Throttle Tamer and went back to the stock throttle. My personal preference is the stock throttle. The Throttle Tamer did help with smoothing out the snatchy throttle, however I think I like the aggressive micro throttle adjustment response. I also feel I can get to WOT faster with less revolution. I consider myself an aggressive rider and therefore prefer the stock throttle. I can see if I commuted or toured more that this would be a nice add on while still providing the ability to get all the power you want. It’s just not for my style.

That said, I have a G2 Throttle Tamer for Sale. I paid $80, I’ll sell for $55 (PayPal) PM Me.
G2 Street Tamer Throttle Tube - G2 Ergonomics

I am still very happy with the Holeshot EFI Supertuner. I’ve not had to make any adjustments. It was a good purchase!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like the pops and bangs on my old bike with the pair valve open :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thanks for your report. I asked if anyone had tried Holeshots EFI a week or two before you posted this thread. Got my answer now. Dale seems like a nice guy on his vids. How much is the 02 bypass? Dobeck, who makes the EFI tuner, includes it with their version of the tuner. Their tuner is $255 and includes the bypass. I, like you, would gladly pay a couple extra bucks to get Dales tuning savvy and his support with future upgrades like a header. Don't like any of the slip ons available so I think I'll just do headers and keep the stock can. Looks good to me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had the throttle tamer on my first bike - I thought it helped for on/off throttle around a parking lot (motorcycle training class), but I prefer not to have it for regular street riding. Hence I'm not getting one for the new bike.

$491 for the above work is $109 less than I was quoted for a custom tune, which adjusts many things besides air/fuel ratio.

But either way, I hope that combination of products brought you what you're looking for in the bike, that's all that really matters.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holeshot prices are:
EFI Supertune Pro Tuner $277.00
O2 Bypass $15.00
K&N Air Filter $69.95
G2 Throttle Tamer $79.95

The Plug and Play Tuner and O2 Bypass only cost $292 (plus shipping) and does seem to solve the issues I had with the bike. I would have bought the K&N Air Filter no matter what I did so I don’t consider that part of the comparison cost. If you were quoted $600 for a full custom tune (without filter), this option is about half the price. I agree the custom tune can adjust more than this add on can do…

According to Dale the Throttle off problem is addressed by tapering it off vs cutting it off. I’m not sure how he accomplished this, he said he sent the unit back to Dobeck for modifications a couple times.

I agree the extra $37 for Dales Tune on the Dobeck is well worth the money vs attempting it myself. I also like the look of the stock can. There would be no noticeable performance increase, so like you said, I also will probably only replace the header; at some point in the future.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Bunch of questions: What does the Mode button on the Holeshot do? Are there different tunings you can select? Do you provide information about mods and riding preferences for "custom" tuning or is it "one size fits all". I see there is a stage 1 and 2, but I would want to keep the exhaust stock.

I'm assuming everyone who installs this only rides on a closed track?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for your report. I asked if anyone had tried Holeshots EFI a week or two before you posted this thread. Got my answer now. Dale seems like a nice guy on his vids. How much is the 02 bypass? Dobeck, who makes the EFI tuner, includes it with their version of the tuner. Their tuner is $255 and includes the bypass. I, like you, would gladly pay a couple extra bucks to get Dales tuning savvy and his support with future upgrades like a header. Don't like any of the slip ons available so I think I'll just do headers and keep the stock can. Looks good to me.
I think that's what I'm going to do as well. I just can't decide if 1000 is worth it for those gains. Truthfully, how much is my seat of the pants dyno going to notice? I do love the way the stock can sounds with those arrow headers. So what it comes down to for me, and hopefully a bunch of you chime in that have done tunes... Is it going to pick that wheel up noticeably easier in 1st and 2nd?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The buttons on the EFI tuner are for adjusting the tune... I've never had to or wanted to press a button yet. It comes with a sheet that explains what the buttons do. Dale offered to walk me through it if I needed to make any adjustments. He offers two tunes, Stage 1 and Stage 2. Stage 1 is for stock header, stock or aftermarket can, a hi-flow air filter, and the air box restriction removed. Stage 2 is for all of stage 1 plus the arrow header with stock or aftermarket can. To alternate between Stage 1 and 2 you can flash it with a computer or send it to Dale to do it for you.

You'd think I work for the guy by now or get a kickback... but I don't.

Not really closed track but I use this off road 0:) it helps keep my front tire off the road >:D

·
Registered
987 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. The closed track comment was obviously toungue-in-cheek; if all the bikes that had mods "not for street use" went by that, I suspect there would be few bikes left on the road.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My other bike has a dobeck EFI tuner. The mode button cycles to the different tuning zones. They are identified by the color and number of LED's flashing. You have 3 zones for idle and steady throttle, acceleration, and WOT fuel addition or subtraction. You also have zones to define when the fueling changes occur for each zone, sooner or later in the RPM's. It sounds complicated but after a few uses it becomes quite easy.

How much HP do Arrow headers add? If its only a few HP, screw it, I'll have a bypass tube made to eliminate the cat and valve. I bet the gain the header provides is mostly from losing the cat and valve anyway.

I'd rather spend money on a good ECU flash that will eliminate the timing retardation in the lower gears and the fuel cut as well as other things. A good ECU flash and EFI tune should cure the throttle issues and provide additional HP and torque.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts