GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! I did it on the first attempt. I took the measurements of the radiator, cut a piece of 11" x 15" a small mesh and adjusted the big piece by cutting the parts that did not fit right. It took me like 1 hr. of labor. Still there is room for improvement, but the main objective is to avoid debris hitting the radiator. In fact, I saw one impact about 2 mm on the radiator fins. It's not a problem but better to prevent than being sorry. I could paint it black and it would look like part of the radiator or not noticeable at all. I did one for my CB500F also, but it was more complex to build, it took me 3 days to make it and I don't like it that much. Check it out:

·
Registered
172 Posts
John is that stainless? & how did you retain it?
Need to do similar as I do not like it open with nothing in front of it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John is that stainless? & how did you retain it?
Similar to stainless but is a metal that does not corrode and does not bend or breaks easily. I attached it with black heavy duty zip ties. Really it was an experimental work but it is very effective and is very secured in the bike. The radiator gets the same flow of air than before the grille guard was installed and the screen captures all the insects, bugs or any debris.

Need to do similar as I do not like it open with nothing in front of it.
I thought there was no need for it but those fins are very delicate and may break easily if a rock hits them. Also I noticed that the front tire smashes debris on it. It is better to put some protection.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Similar to stainless but is a metal that does not corrode and does not bend or breaks easily. I attached it with black heavy duty zip ties. Really it was an experimental work but it is very effective and is very secured in the bike. The radiator gets the same flow of air than before the grille guard was installed and the screen captures all the insects, bugs or any debris.

I thought there was no need for it but those fins are very delicate and may break easily if a rock hits them. Also I noticed that the front tire smashes debris on it. It is better to put some protection.
Yep, you need a fender extender as well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Picked a few stones out of my rad guard yesterday even though its got a ghey fitment. Looks like good old fashioned chicken wire put to another money saving tip.(y)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please show us a picture.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Got one one mine. You can’t see it unless you really look. Saves the rad taking a punishment from grit and rain.
All I can say is, just like being ghey “ try it you might like it
No offense whatsoever! 😁
They are function, not form, I know.
& who says I haven't.🤪

😂 & yes...please show us

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Pyramid. Only pic I have.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! that's a nice extender. It seems like it would avoid debris into the link pipes and radiator.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts