GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Playing around the other day out on a ride with big adv bikes. The GT was in her element on smooth pavement. 😬 she ain’t the best wheelie bike not even close to my 2016 naked but she will loft it with everything off and in A mode. That’s just throttle hit hard in 3rd gear through 4th gear.
Tire Wheel Sky Plant Helmet

· Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
304 Posts
I'm 210 lbs and mine has no problem lifting it on hard acceleration from 1st and 2nd gear, just enough that I don't freak out.

· Registered
7 Posts
Playing around the other day out on a ride with big adv bikes. The GT was in her element on smooth pavement. 😬 she ain’t the best wheelie bike not even close to my 2016 naked but she will loft it with everything off and in A mode. That’s just throttle hit hard in 3rd gear through 4th gear. View attachment 50089
I am absolutely a wheelie guy but this aint the bike. On this bike we have to turn the traction control of to do real wheelies. If you leave it on and go like **** it likes to do decent low wheelies before the bike says no more. Also the bike is a little longer wheelbase so that was kind off there intention. I will say that i ride a 2022 Yamaha MT10SP as well and that thing loves to live on the back wheel. First through forth gear on the back wheel isnt hard, but the wheelbase is alot shorter. Ultimately we all need multiple bike to do all the different things we like them to do. Also I dont realy feel like my gt needed to have an IMU although it is nice on the MT because you can leave traction control on and still pull dank wheelies.

· Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
304 Posts
Buffguy, you have two of the coolest Japanese bikes on the market. That's awesome! Miss the character and looks of my 17 FZ-10.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am absolutely a wheelie guy but this aint the bike. On this bike we have to turn the traction control of to do real wheelies. If you leave it on and go like **** it likes to do decent low wheelies before the bike says no more. Also the bike is a little longer wheelbase so that was kind off there intention. I will say that i ride a 2022 Yamaha MT10SP as well and that thing loves to live on the back wheel. First through forth gear on the back wheel isnt hard, but the wheelbase is alot shorter. Ultimately we all need multiple bike to do all the different things we like them to do. Also I dont realy feel like my gt needed to have an IMU although it is nice on the MT because you can leave traction control on and still pull dank wheelies.
I own a 2021 GSX-R1000R that has no problem doing a wheelie. The GT+ had the wheelie fun taken out of it unfortunately by Suzuki. It'll still wheelie though just not as easy as the RR. My old 2016 Naked tuned and piped GSX-S1000 could not keep the front wheel on the ground.

· Registered
85 Posts
I'm glad it doesn't wheelie easily. I prefer to accelerate forward harder without having to manage that.
I've seen some gnarly crashes in front of me from guys doing wheelies. The most notable one was an older guy with a ZX7R during a group ride (on a highway, at night, sheer idiocy when we were young), his tire spun while he while lofting and I think that made him give more throttle, and just threw that beautiful green bike down the road at probably 80 mph.

I never learned to do wheelies except those occasional power wheelies or the bigger ones as your crest a rise. I'd like to learn though, probably on some mini bike or a dirt bike but for a street bike I'm just not brave enough to dump that clutch. I've wondered if the newer bikes with wheelie control would actually cut power if you got too high, or if wheelie control is adjustable. How would that even work? Would you just set the maximum height of your wheelie in the motorcycle's computer?

· Registered
7 Posts
I've seen some gnarly crashes in front of me from guys doing wheelies. The most notable one was an older guy with a ZX7R during a group ride (on a highway, at night, sheer idiocy when we were young), his tire spun while he while lofting and I think that made him give more throttle, and just threw that beautiful green bike down the road at probably 80 mph.

I never learned to do wheelies except those occasional power wheelies or the bigger ones as your crest a rise. I'd like to learn though, probably on some mini bike or a dirt bike but for a street bike I'm just not brave enough to dump that clutch. I've wondered if the newer bikes with wheelie control would actually cut power if you got too high, or if wheelie control is adjustable. How would that even work? Would you just set the maximum height of your wheelie in the motorcycle's computer?
So basically on my MT10SP it has an internal IMU. This allows the motorcycle to be monitored and adjusted in many ways. One of these is lift control. Lift control has 5 different settings and off feature. The bike will go from not able to lift the tire at all to full tilt depending on which setting you choose. Its not so much that it knows how many inches or feet your front tire is off the ground, rather the angle the bike is in relation to the ground. Really quite cool. Hope this helps.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 21 GSX-R000R has the IMU with cornering ABS, pretty hard to actually crash it in a turn. I road raced with WERA SE from 2001 to 2017 and never had any electronics to speak of. I did have launch control once it was junk. I was better. Electronics won’t totally save you once it kicks on it redirects your direction so if on coming traffic is In the equitation which it almost is on the street it actually made you go head on into that oncoming vehicle instead of the low side you were headed to without it.

YMMV but I doubt it I’ve felt and seen it all racing all those years.

· Registered
85 Posts
So basically on my MT10SP it has an internal IMU. This allows the motorcycle to be monitored and adjusted in many ways. One of these is lift control. Lift control has 5 different settings and off feature. The bike will go from not able to lift the tire at all to full tilt depending on which setting you choose. Its not so much that it knows how many inches or feet your front tire is off the ground, rather the angle the bike is in relation to the ground. Really quite cool. Hope this helps.
I've crashed once when I locked up a front wheel going over a manhole cover at night, and other near misses. In none of these was I going particularly fast but rather I lacked experience in identifying road conditions while having poor throttle control. I dunno if I've actually improved or if I've just become braver and trust the tires more. I mean, how safe can you be leaning a sportbike over?

To that end, my last two bikes have had some form of electronic aids. My previous bike had ABS but not TC while my current GSXS has both ABS and TC. If you're an experienced rider but don't have many trackdays, didn't ride dirt bikes, and don't have very good throttle control, then TC makes a bike unimaginably safer. I can't imagine owning a bike without TC, it seems incredibly dangerous to do so especially since most bikes have essentially doubled in power while keeping about the same price. When a 470 pound bike making 145 hp is now considered a mid-powered middle-weight then you just know riders on hyper bikes without TC (or turned off) must be crashing their brains out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts