GSXS 1000 Forum banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ride reports: Love the bike. Suspension is great. Freeways or Canyons, tight but not harsh. Motor: Runs strong in any gear. Wouldn't mind a 7th gear for long highway rides (LOL). Nice layout. Good compromise between sport position and comfort position. Shifter- best I've ever used. Sound, pleasant, with quiet at cruise speeds and aggressive at high rpm's. Mileage. Decent. 40 mpg not too bad considering it's impossible to ride this thing at the speed limit. Brakes- excellent once you ditch the stock pads and put in EBC's (or any sintered equivalent GSXR style that fit). Seat- nice upgrade to inexpensive optional "style seat". Stock seat will probably go to an aftermarket company so they can use the base and go with top grade padding and seat cover of your choosing. Battery access: excellent. For those who want to add heated gear, or another connector, it's completely accessible with a single bolt to remove driver's seat. Oil filter access: ( I know a lot of people cringe at removing the lower farings, but a K&N filter KN-138 fits a 17MM socket with a 6" extension right in between the 4 head pipes and allows a quick release or 1/4 turn tight for a super quick oil change. Check engine to frame bolts, axle bolts and swing arm bolts for tightness periodically. Use a torque wrench Mine were off between the 600 mile service and 1000 miles.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Iv'e been commuting on my 2022 a bunch, and few longer rides further afield. The rear at 42 psi and factory shock settings was god-awful, but reduced tire pressure and 0 preload got it rideable until my Penske shock arrived, which was a huge step forward in suspension behavior. I'm in the slow incremental adjustment zone for it now, the front end is clearly where more attention is needed. I have a set of Bitubo JBH cartridges on the way for the front which I just can't quite get to the right feel. Sag and travel as measured by a tape and wire tie is reasonable but the front is still too stiff; the damping adjustments don't seem quite effective enough. I'm hunting for feel like my old R6 had- not plush but compliant and only the fastest and sharpest bumps would be harsh. The rear is getting there.

The shifter has grown on me quite a bit, its taken a bit of road time to get used to how it wants to shift- the gearbox is really nice when shifted how it wants to be, its also breaking in so likely has gotten smoother with miles. The brakes bedded in well though I have a set of Vesrah pads to go in once the originals are used up- not in a rush to replace them since they've not gone wooden and only squeak a very little. The tires are fine, not great but entirely reasonable, I'll wear them out too.

I just put sw-motech risers on, have to do something about longer ride comfort. The bike reminds me a bit of my old Bandit wrt being uncomfortable in the seat in the default setup- it needed risers too which got me into a reasonable comfort zone. I never ended up getting an aftermarket seat on the Bandit, we'll see what the risers do for this bike... maybe the stock seat will end up OK. I can see hints that long rides will be comfy once this is figured out. 4-5hrs was my safe limit on the R6- I could easily do 7 on the Bandit. Even a 2hr ride on the gsxs with this seat and posture is less tiring than on the R6.

My 600 mile service went fine- checked bolts after I did the oil/filter and all were tight. I <really> like the oil filter in front, I had to take the bellypan off my R6 for the oil/filter change... tedious.

The bike is great in traffic- not talking about lane splitting but when grinding along in the stop and go, its easy to balance for brief stops, it happily chugs along in idle in any gear; cools off fast when speeds pick up, maneuvers easily and doesn't want to fall over. Its funny to like a bike so much for low speed chugging around but the R6 was lousy in that kind of riding; engine, gearbox, balance, posture were all difficult below 30mph- the gsxs is vastly more pleasant. Out on the recreational rides, steering is reasonably light and accurate- not R6 quick but it likes definite turn-ins off reference points and doesn't make riding a lot of work. The R6 was so quick that it tended to make everything into sweepers- that was nice in a way but I prefer the definite turn-in style. Maybe on track the R6 would want that too, in reasonable street riding conditions it was mostly coasting around I guess. Going fast the R6 was amazing.. the GSXS is getting there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Less than 6 hours away from the big trip. 3000 miles in 2 weeks. Can't wait to see how the GT+ performs the duties of a sport tourer. Upgraded Suzuki seat still feels pretty good (so much better than stock). Cranked up my rear spring preload two notches and the Michelin Road 5 GT tires should hold up great for the journey. Spent 5 hours yesterday mounting my Garmin mixing and matching mounting hardware to get it in the right place and threading thru panels and zip tying everything out of the way. I have the wired mount with the quick release. Added a second connector to the battery for my heated gear. I'm going to be flip flopping between cold morning rides on PCH in CA, and 100-degree sections where the highway moves away from the coastline. I've got 2 Senas so if one quits, I've got a backup. First trip with the bags. Put together a bunch of bag liner out of helmet bags, gear bags, toiletry bags, so I can keep track of all the crap I need to use. This will be a true test on how this bike stacks up to the competition. My riding partner will be carrying some of my junk, as it is aways good to condense and share if you have that luxury, which in this case I do. I just wish the weather wasn't so unpredictable right now on the West Coast from So Cal to Washington State.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts