GSXS 1000 Forum banner

How about some ride reports...

7K views 94 replies 17 participants last post by  Symmetry 
#1 ·
Some guys here have their bikes, and there have been sporadic reports (Roy...thanks for yours) of the bike in "real owner" hands...but not enough. I know mine's coming and will be here soon. If you own this bike and have spent some real time with it...are you still as enthusiastic about it as you were when you were waiting for it? Why or why not?

Thank you!!

#69 · (Edited)
Showing RF-1400 XL. I’ll try again another interesting thought. I buy only Shoei helmets because they are customizable with different thickness pads. When I got the Suzuki I thought the wind noise was excessive, so I got a touring windscreen, made it worse. Went back to stock. Took out my stock 35mm cheek pads and put in 39mm pads. ( had to order them). I wore earplugs 1X and after that, realized the thicker pads kept the wind out of my ears. Haven’t worn plugs since.

#70 ·
Ride complete. 3000 miles. Very comfortable for all day everyday road trips providing you are using it as a “sport” touring bike. (It’s not a Gold Wing, or a 2 up touring bike).

Super fun for twisty backroads that go for 100 miles at a time. Ride position was never an issue. Passing cars and trucks at 100+ mph over and over was super fun. Bags on, bags off, can’t tell the difference. Feels light in the turns, and solid at constant speeds. Cruise control works great. Rarely used it because my wrists didn’t get tired.

Before my trip I wired a Garmin and a heated gear connector. Both necessities, for unknown territory and for cold mornings on the coast. (Jacket liner and glove), the jacket liner folds up nicely in lieu of a heavy leather winter jacket to save space.

I did have to adjust my chain once and oiled it every 1000 miles. This bike is a true sport bike with long distance capabilities. I had a large adventure bike that was bad or mediocre at everything. At 100 lbs more than a dedicated 1000cc supersport it’s the perfect blend. I did really, really appreciate the Suzuki upgraded seat for $189. I don’t think I would have lasted with the stocker. No electronic issues or mechanical issues.

#71 ·
Ride complete. 3000 miles. Very comfortable for all day everyday road trips providing you are using it as a “sport” touring bike. (It’s not a Gold Wing, or a 2 up touring bike).

Super fun for twisty backroads that go for 100 miles at a time. Ride position was never an issue. Passing cars and trucks at 100+ mph over and over was super fun. Bags on, bags off, can’t tell the difference. Feels light in the turns, and solid at constant speeds. Cruise control works great. Rarely used it because my wrists didn’t get tired.

Before my trip I wired a Garmin and a heated gear connector. Both necessities, for unknown territory and for cold mornings on the coast. (Jacket liner and glove), the jacket liner folds up nicely in lieu of a heavy leather winter jacket to save space.

I did have to adjust my chain once and oiled it every 1000 miles. This bike is a true sport bike with long distance capabilities. I had a large adventure bike that was bad or mediocre at everything. At 100 lbs more than a dedicated 1000cc supersport it’s the perfect blend. I did really, really appreciate the Suzuki upgraded seat for $189. I don’t think I would have lasted with the stocker. No electronic issues or mechanical issues.
You've shown high praise for the Styled Seat, although almost everything I've read says its just the OEM seat with different upholstery. I'm really waiting for Sargent to build an aftermarket seat ( I don't like Corbins) but it looks like it will take some time. Is it really so different from stocker? Thanks!

#77 ·
I’m on a 2021 TREK FX 4 carbon sport. $2k bike. Love it! Weighs 21 lbs, Shimano hydraulic brakes, TLR tubeless tires and Bontrager everything plus computer with auto lights. Shimano drive train. Stock seat does not bother me I log 20 miles on it easily.

#78 ·
we do a at least two rides a week 10-15 miles, I actually test rode the FX4 and wanted it, but she didnt want a more sport oriented, so I bought matching verve as they was comfortable and did the purpose of doing stuff during covid.

but yeah, it was either verve 3 or fx4 I went w verve to match nice ride

god the blue they got out for 21 is beautiful.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

I got a navy blue color
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

im actually really happy with it though. its a fun ride. we enjoy our commutes on them.

#92 ·
Back on topic- have so say I'm loving the gsxs, at 1300 miles now. Its taken the usual couple months riding to get attuned to it- and get the obvious stuff sorted. The Penske rear is dialed in and rides really well- still have to mount the Bitubo fronts- need to do some tool prep to manage the springs. I put on proper levers and a bar riser so comfort is now reasonable- I'm less motivated for another seat.

Oh boy there is not enough road around here to really lean into it but wow does it scoot- lean forward a bit to get ready, wack open the throttle and off like a rocket- on the way home today I laid into it a bit in 4th to get around a flatbed wrecker heading out of an onramp with oncoming traffic coming up... it felt like some of those youtube vids where the fighter pilot hits the afterburners right off the runway. The R6 would scoot too but I sure like not having to downshift so much and instead use the torque.

Still not quite used to how much the bike wants to be pushed around vs the pivot steering that the R6 liked but it works really well playing dodge-the-pothole. I find gearbox and quickshift is an aquired taste but having worked on rpm ranges and methods unless I'm distracted shifting is reliably nice and efficient. I'm comfy enough to start tightening up on turnpoints and raising corner speed- on a couple of them the gsxs is already inspiring more confidence than I had on the R6- but those Roadsports make me not want to push. They've not been naughty in any way.. perhaps I'm just not yet fully convinced on grip.

All in all, that elusive YEAHH inside my head is showing up again, which is the goal :love:

#93 ·
I just turned over 1800 miles. Still loving it! (But not the occasional engine tapping, which is happening more and more).
Today was the first taste of the cooler, dryer air to come, finally. Soon no more sticky, sweaty heat. Riding season is about to actually start again! 😎
It was 57*F when I left for work this morning and although that's not very cold, it was cool enough on the highway to get a proper early test of my factory heated grips. On the middle setting (of 3 total) at 80 mph they were perfect! At the stoplights my hands were a bit too hot. Setting 3 was way too toasty all around, so there's plenty of overhead for the colder weather to come. Once that happens and I install my factory touring windscreen (and probably a Puig deflector onto that) I'll be able to ride more comfortably in the cold than I ever have before. Nice!

#94 ·
53 here yesterday morning, fake fall and we are back in the lower 90s for highs through next week but at least the humidity is not that bad. Love bugs however are in full bloom here and there is nothing lovely about the paint eaters.

I am at 4200 miles and the tapping and hammering on hot start continues. I’m riding with a plug in my rear tire. I go into surgery next weds for my gal bladder issue out of no where so new tires won’t be added and I won’t be riding in the next few weeks. I’m going on a dual sport ride this weekend with 200+riders so that should be fun. Just gotta watch what I eat or drink until weds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.